Congratulations....you just hit the lotto for 5 million after taxes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunflowergirl, Aug 16, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Now what are you going to do with this $$$$$$ Seriously think about it.

Since I'm almost 69 and the house is paid off, I suppose I would give a PORTION to my children but not all of it. I'm a Christian so I think I would give to the proper charities after I investigate them first. And I think I might want to find some local needy families and give anonymously. And lastly I think I would want to treat myself with a month or so in a rented villa in Italy or France. I'm not into buying clothes or cars or expensive dinners. And did you know that most people who win the lotto blow it all the first couple of years and then are back to where they started. Most people can't handle the concept of $
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

I'd definitely donate some of it to CFS research.
  3. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I'd love to win a big bucks lottery...but, in order to win, I need to buy a ticket first. Too tight!!!

I would charter airplanes to take me to places I've wanted to visit my entire life. Commercial flights and I don't get along since I require O2 above 2,000 ft (or if I'm physical). The one time I tried flying with O2, they treated me like I was a terriorist. I had to disassemble all my equipment, then they walked off and left me with a total mess and only a short time to my flight...plus I'm very handicapped. I was totally frustrated and in a ton of pain.

Otherwise, I'd share the $$ with our family...and many could use it.
  4. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Yeah you are so right Sunflower, most people end up worse then before. Money from lotteries and gambling and such comes from people who all lost and could really use it so that isn't money I would want to own. There is too much unseen bagage coming with it. It is no wonder that many people who do win big amounts of money end up crazy or very unhappy because it ruined all their friendships and family relations and such because people are all of a sudden seeing them as rich people and keep comparing and get into fights about why you gave one more then another or are not fulfilling their requests though you have the money.... I don't play lotteries because to me I don't think you can really 'win' even if you 'do'. Learning to budget is a very helpful skill that can get you far. I've lived on very tight budget even in my younger and healthier years but I did travel parts of the world and saved up for things simply by having learned to be able to do more with less. I have never had to loan a dime in my life even when living below the SS standard.

The biggest lottery one can win is an upbringing where there isn't much money but a lot of love and creativity to make ends meet. I'm so glad to have learned to live on a small budget and to still be able to be happy.
    We need so little and we want so much, only to find that even having all our wants met that there isn't any lasting happiness in that and usually comes with a big amount of extra worries and responsibilities.

I'd love to own an adjusted car with rest facility build in to gain a little bit more mobility but if I think of all the extra work and responsibilities that owning that car would bring that I'm not able to meet, I'm kinda glad that having drained the little savings I had in a law suit and having health forced me to move to a much more expensive house has deprived me of the possibility to save up for one. Because I may think things might improve my situation but usually they come with a whole lot of extra's that may be less desirable and I hadn't thought of yet. Ultimately my scares energy is not something I can buy with money and everything I can buy with money will usually cost me more of my energy.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi SG

I dunno what I'd do with a fortune. There really isn't anything I want. I think the Buddhists say that
    the way to eliminate unhappiness is to eliminate desire. Although this is somewhat paradoxical if you
    desire to eliminate desire.

Anyhoo, travel would be nice, but I'm too old and feeble for same. And in my old age I've become
    claustrophobic like my father. I would go bonkers in one of those stuck on the tarmac for hours
    scenarios. And, you know, if you really run amok and try and climb out the window, a federal
    marshal will shoot you, and then the airline will add on extra fees.

I don't go anywhere so I don't need elegant clothes. I don't drive anymore; don't need a car.
    (I do have a 25 year old Toyota. The only place I drive is back and forth on our street in order to
    comply with street sweeping schedules.)

I quit giving to charities. Most of them spend about 90% of what you give them on the expenses
    of the charity. (Twenty years ago it was in the papers that the head of the Red Cross made something
    like $750,000 per.)

I do like Tiger Lilea's suggestion of funding CFS research. And I like Jam's suggestion for a catered
    bridge party, but with my Alzheimer'sI can't play bridge anymore.

Anyhoo, a provocative topic.

Rock
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Rock: Alzheimers is in my mom's side of family. Two aunts and one uncle have died from having it. Actually I don't think Alzheimers kills a person, it's probably other medical issues but at what point do the doctors just do nothing. My mom lived to almost 99 and was very sharp in her mind until the end dying from congestive heart. I have one aunt left from 8 children and she's 92, (is reasonably healthy) still drives, lives by herself and is still very sharp so who can figure out family history.

I'm sure you've read about this if you ever go to any alzheimers sites, but in case you haven't do a search on the amazing turn around a doctor accomplished for her husband by giving him coconut oil daily. You can also see a clip of her on youtube. And that reminds me to start taking it again!

And it's pathetic what a lot of charities do with the $. I've always donate used items to either Goodwill or a local Christian thrift store, however a neighbor was telling me that Goodwill isn't that charitable either anymore although they do employ disabled.
  7. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I watched my Dad go senile from medications...he had heart problems plus diabetes and both of these types of meds cause brain/memory problems. Watching PBSs $$ drive recently, a doctor was on who believes meds are the cause of the rise in senility/Alzheimer's.

And, SFG is right. I've also seen that video about coconut oil helping with memory problems. (I need to start remembering to take it...LOL)

I trust very few charities these days. My Dad had "not nice" stories from both WW2 and Korea about the Red Cross. I'm not a big fan of cancer research drives either. The end benefit of $$ collected go to the pharmaceuticals...not the cancer victim. Having had cancer, it was a rude awakening to learn how these "charities" actually work.

Bed time...

Windy
  8. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

I didn't know that about coconut oil. I just recently started using it a few months ago. My grandmother had Alzheimers. I'm intolerant to a lot of foods (dairy, sugar, honey, yeast, chocolate and a bunch of other stuff) and keeping a strict diet and pacing has helped so much in at least controlling the pain part of ME. I used to be in pain 24/7 for years and could hardly move or write or do anything. The replacement foods are often so expensive that I have become creative in making my own and I use coconut oil and coconutcream (santen) to make my own chocolates and chocolate bread spread without chocolate sugar or dairy in it. Grated coconut is also very nice in many dishes, it gives it a bit of a creamy soft taste and takes the sharpness of spicy food. And coconut oil can also be used to make a non chemical deodorant. Still exploring all the ways to use it.