Connective tissue injuries

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by penpardee, Apr 6, 2006.

1. penpardee

penpardee New Member

I wonder how many others with FM have had multiple joint surgeries?? I am scheduled for arthroscopic surgery on my left knee next Wednesday. I have a piece of cartilage loose and floating causing all sorts of havoc...this will be the 7th joint surgery I have had. Each surgery involved torn tendons/ligaments. I once thought I was merely accident prone, as any slip/fall accident would result in a visit to the orthopaedic surgeon, but this time I can think of NOTHING that I did to have caused this type of damage.

Penny

[This Message was Edited on 04/06/2006]
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

My youngest daughter had the very same thing happen to her knee...

The surgery was very, very successful, and she goes to P.T. 2xweek. She said it happened while she was just doing her stretching exercises! She' very overweight, and I'm cautioning her to try to lose it so she doesn't continue to have problems, hope she can do it.

My knees get "loose" sometimes...when I start to turn around, my body goes, but my lower leg doesn't! I started glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM and have been much, much better that way.

Sorry you're having all these problems...do the drs. say why you have so many joint problems??

Hugs...

findmind
  3. penpardee

penpardee New Member

Findmind~ thank you for sharing your daughter's experience. I understand the pain she must feel. I also am more than just a little over weight, which poses problems of it's own. Never have I been told that my weight was a factor in my joint problems. This is the first surgery for which I can not pin point a specific injury/trauma. All of the surgeries have been for connective tissue damage (tendons and ligaments) I am wondering if there is any known relation between FM and connective tissue damage?

I am going to try to edit the title of the first topic and hopefully get a few more replies.

Thank you again

Pen
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

I also have something going on in my left knee. It slides completely out of joint. I have to get a hold of something and work my way down to the ground, then after about 10 min. or so I finally get my leg straight out in front of me and then bend my knee back towards me. It will somehow slide back in place. It is by far one of the worst pains I have ever had to deal with. It has come out 8 or ten times in last few months. Ever since it has started coming out,my knee just grinds and makes awful noises. I have to be very careful not to squat down or put a lot of pressure on my knee. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to have surgery one day on it. Don't have a clue what started this. It just happened one day and has been messed up since. I wondered if it had something to do w/ the fibromyalgia? Doctor just told me to wear a brace. He called it kneecap disease. Obviously, your knee slides in and out of joint.

Kriket
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

I also have something going on in my left knee. It slides completely out of joint. I have to get a hold of something and work my way down to the ground, then after about 10 min. or so I finally get my leg straight out in front of me and then bend my knee back towards me. It will somehow slide back in place. It is by far one of the worst pains I have ever had to deal with. It has come out 8 or ten times in last few months. Ever since it has started coming out,my knee just grinds and makes awful noises. I have to be very careful not to squat down or put a lot of pressure on my knee. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to have surgery one day on it. Don't have a clue what started this. It just happened one day and has been messed up since. I wondered if it had something to do w/ the fibromyalgia? Doctor just told me to wear a brace. He called it kneecap disease. Obviously, your knee slides in and out of joint.

Kriket
  6. penpardee

penpardee New Member

Thanks for sharing...I wonder if you have a "subluxed-patella"...the patella/knee cap follows a grove across the joint when bending/walking....etc...problems arise when it slips out of groove...it can make your knee stick, or "go-out"...I know this because I have a subluxed patella on my right knee...I have had physical therapy and have a special brace to wear that keeps my knee cap in place. I am fortunate enough at the present time that I only time I have a real problem with it is when I am walking on uneven ground, or that occassional SURPRISE "I'm still here" that causes my knee to give out. The surgeon said it can be fixed, but it requires OPEN surgery...I have opted to wait until I MUST have it done. I am not excited about having my left knee scoped this coming Wednesday....but I would rather a scope than an open surgery. I wish you luck with your knee

Pen

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There can be damage to ligaments, muscle tissue, tendons, etc. It is often when we have surgery that the doc discovers the poor condition of the tissue in them.

Love, Mikie