Conscious Sleeping? Anyone ever had this sensation?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CatsKimber, Oct 9, 2005.

1. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

I just started a new type of sleeping pill and... several nights have had the sensation like my body was sleeping, but my mind was awake? Has anyone ever had this sensation? Know what it is? Thanks!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  2. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I am always laying in bed with my body totally exhausted by my brain will not shut down. It's like my mind is in fast mod and I am thinking of everything that needs to be done and all the things that have happened and all the "what ifs" are running around in my brain.

My husband is always saying, "Just clear your mind", and I asks him how???? I have tried many ways of clearing my mind and have asks many of people how they do it becasue I have never been able to do this.

And when I do go to sleep I will wake up with a "jolt" and look at the clock and it will only have been a 5 or 10 mins and yet it feels like it's been hours.

Also, when I get up I am still so very very tired and feel like I didn't sleep at all. My doctor is always saying we have to get you into a "rem sleep" and I tell him that I know this but if the body and brain won't do it then it just won't.

It makes perfectly good sense to me that the body needs to rest to heal but I just don't know how to master that.

Any suggestions?

Grandma6
  3. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I don't take sleeping pills anymore due to becoming too dependent on them one time but when I take Percocet for the pain before I go to bed, I have those feelings. I can just be exhausted and think if only I can lay down and go to sleep it will be okay but fifteen minutes later I think I have slept all night and in reality I doubt I have slept at all. My mind goes a mile a minute both day and night. I have dreams what time I do sleep and they are usually not good ones. I too wake up like someone has slapped me. My husband luckily can lay down anytime day or night and sleep soundly so naturally he doesn't understand what it is like for me. Hope this helps you some.
    Stinker56
  4. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

i've had these feelings too at times, but this is way different. it's a very stange sensation. at first i thought i wasn't sleeping at all, but... it's almost like i'm dreaming that i'm awake. like i'm dreaming that i'm laying in bed trying to go to sleep. it's very strange. i can't tell if i'm sleeping or not. my body feels relaxed like i am, but... my eyes are open. from the way i feel today, i'd say that i didn't sleep a wink.[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  5. zerped

zerped New Member

Yes, Catskimber, I just had my first dream like that last week. I got into conscious dreaming about 25 years ago, and with me, if I have a "nightmare," I can remind myself that it's just a dream and wake myself up. I've had times when I laid down for one of my half-hour "quiet times," and feel like I've been asleep for hours and only 15 min. has gone by. And this includes dreaming time! I guess my body has adapted so that any sleep at all is put to good use.
  6. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

without medication (and often WITH)...all my sleeping is "conscious".

When I had my sleep study, I am POSITIVE that I didn't sleep a wink. I was allowed to take my usual medication (which at that time was Remeron) but in this new away-from-home location it didn't seem to be doing ANYTHING. I turned on bedside light 3 times to take more during the night. I was miserable and so awake. I heard the techs come and go and I also asked for extra blankets several times (hospital issue blankets were like sheets!)

Well, I was shocked to hear when I got results back that I was technically ASLEEP for 7 hours. All stage 2, nothing deeper. My doctor agreed that yes it would be possible to still be conscious at that stage...but that it was still sleep! Since then I've concluded that I must be sleep-walking all day.

So far, klonopin is the only med which allows me to experience a little unconscious time. Ambien did also, but it's affects were VERY brief and become increasingly less useful over a short time.
  7. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

is from opiates. I remember reading about an opium den in a novel one time and there were a pack of dope fiends in there dreaming with their eyes open! Do you get rested?

Maybe this just isn't the sleep helper for you.

Good luck!

Francie
  8. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

try writing down your worries before you go to sleep or make a TTD liist for the next day to clear your mind. This helps me. Lynn
  9. malgal

malgal Member

YES! I get it when I take small doses of vicodin or percocet. My eyes are definitely closed and I am in an uncomfortable "twilight" state. My body fights to wake itself up, but I'm unable to.
    For me, it's a different phenomenon than some others are describing. It's not a feeling of stressful thoughts or an inability to fall asleep. My Dr. says it's common with pain killers and some sleep med.s.
    It's very creepy and I try not to take opiates past a certain time of night. Or, if I must take pain med.s at night, I try to stay awake; it's that bizarre a feeling for me.

I hope your weird sleep pattern goes away once your body is acclimated to the sleeping pill!
    Malgal

10. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

This actually happened to me last week. I thought I was awake. I was in my recliner, where I have to sleep sometimes because of my back and I usually leave the TV on. Well, I looked over and the TV was on and then I heard a radio weather forecast coming from the bedroom. My husband and I are in radio so I thought he was listening because the weather was calling for snow. Then, after the forecast, the radio continued on with music. It was our station because I recognized the music. Then I realized I was cold and wished I had my blue and white cuddly robe on but was too tired to get it. I looked down and it was already on top of me.

I believe this is when I realized I was dreaming because I opened my eyes wider (because I KNEW I hadn't retrieved my robe) and that's when I woke up. My afghan was over me and I live in the south...no such thing as snow in the fall. Maybe in the winter. Maybe...

This was one of the oddest experiences/dreams I have ever had because I thought I was awake the entire time and I was worried because I knew I needed to get some sleep for work the next day.

So...to make a long story short...you are not alone!

Sleep well...

(((hugs)))

Kim
  11. STEFFI43

STEFFI43 New Member

I feel as if I never get into a deep sleep and that I have a movie running through my mind with characters or situations that make no sense whatsoever. Occasionally, I will have night terrors.

Steffi43