consider avoiding eating this...it caused increased pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nanie46, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have FM and I am in the challenge phase of my delayed food allergy diet. Once a week I eat one of the 22 foods that I have a sensitivity to, for 2 days, and then go 4 days without any of the allergic foods. This pinpoints exactly what
    symptom(s) each of those foods causes. This week I challenged "corn". That includes the veggie corn, cornstarch, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, etc. I noted that I definitely had increased pain around my knees, hips, ankles and neck/shoulders. For anyone who does not aleady avoid corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup, I would urge you to consider cutting these things out of your diet. It requires reading all labels. This ingredient is in almost all baked goods and sweet snacks, plus places you might not have guessed. The added benefit is weight loss. I was not overweight but I lost 13 pounds in 6 weeks by cutting out all the foods that I am sensitive to. I felt much better 10-12 days after starting this diet, plus I started taking the antiviral,Famvir, at the same time. My Dr said that since I started feeling better so quickly, that indicates that foods played a big part in adding to my pain/stiffness/soreness and fatigue. It's true that not everyone would be sensitive to corn syrup, but I think it is a contributing factor for many people with FM because it is found in so many foods and it has no good nutritional value.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2007]
  2. spacee

spacee Member

That is great news!! (other than that stuff is in almost everything!) We are really hurting ourselves with the Standard American Diet (SAD) I agree, I bet that stuff is in ALOT of "foods". Congratulations on finding a doc that has helped you!!

Spacee
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Some typical meals for me now are: grilled chicken, baked potato and asparagus; grilled pork chop, brown rice, and broccoli; grilled shrimp, green beans and fresh fruit; haddock, rice pasta with homemade red sauce(no sugar); turkey, quinoa, and lettuce salad with oil and vinegar. I am also avoiding sugar cane, milk and wheat as some of the 22 foods that I am sensitive to, so it gets pretty complicated. It is worth though, to find out what foods cause increased pain etc.
  4. Engel

Engel New Member

sorry you had to go through that though to find out.
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I try to eat whole foods and avoid processed foods as much as possible. Eating this way would make it easy to avoid corn products.

I notice that whenever I eat anything with sugar or simple carbs, my pain is increased. When I eat a whole food, no sugar, high carb diet I can be virtually pain free.

What we eat makes a huge difference in how we feel. I would encourage everyone to try diet to see if it helps.
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I totally agree. I knew that I could eat better than I did before, but I had no idea just how many foods or ingredients were contributing to the level of pain and stiffness I had. For anyone who has never had delayed food allergy testing, I urge you to consider it. If you can't do the testing, at least try completely cutting out sugar cane in every form (dextrose, evaporated cane juice etc, it's hidden in many forms), corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup and anything else that you think might be a problem. Some of the most allergic foods are corn, wheat, rye, milk, eggs, soy, sugar, yeast, peanuts, barley, etc. I am referring to food sensitivities (delayed allergies), not life threatening immediate allergies. Foods can cause symptoms such as pain, stiffness, migraines, arthritis, eczema, irritability, mental confusion, diarrhea, etc.