consipation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glenda2, Apr 6, 2007.

1. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

hi everyone
    i think i have tried everything on this message board for constipation and still no luck. anyone have any new info for me? i am so bloated i could pass for a pregnant lady about to bust.
    glenda
  2. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

thanks i'll have to try the oil daily if i can stand the taste.
  3. ETN

ETN New Member

I do have had this problem...I have the lovely IBS but with severe constipation..I have done a ton of cocktails over the years.

I can go over a week w/o a BM...so not good...

The thing that I have found that has helped me the most..and it really was trial and error...

Is daily Colace/Docusate Sodium....I take 250 mg twice a day and sometimes more and Senna...2 times a day also...

I have been on many different things and this is what has worked for me..plus I haven't had an appetite so I don't eat much which really doesn't help...

Also lots and lots of water!

good luck
    keep us posted
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I agree, Miralax (which they now sell over the counter) and Fleets enema. Make sure to drink Miralax every night and you can take two Colace (stool softeners) at the same time.

Drink alot of water if possible.
  5. skikat

skikat New Member

DEAR ONE, I HAVE TRIED ALMOST EVERTHING BOTH HERBAL AND MEDS. RECENTLY (ABOUT 4 MONTS AGO) MY DR. PUT ME ON MIRALAX. I CANNOT TELL YOU WHAT IT HAS DONE FOR ME. IT IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS EVER TO HAPPEN TO ME AND I HAVE BATTLED IMPACTIONS--- FOR OVER 20 YEARS. THIS STUFF WORKED! I TAKE IT EACH NIGHT WITH WHITE GRAPE JUICE. I CANT EVEN TASE IT. IT IS GOOD.I HAVE TO PAY FOR MINE 25.00 PER BOTTLE. LASTS A LONG TIME. BUT MY PHARMACIST TOLD ME THAT HE HAS ONE IDENTICAL TO IT THAT I CAN BUY OTC. AND VERY INEXPENSIVE. WORTH TRYING..... SKI
    PS. MIGHT ADD THAT I TAKE MORPHINE, LYRICA,PERCOCET,,ROBAXIN,XANAX, AMOMG OTHERS.----SKI
  6. dr32164

dr32164 New Member

I have the same issues, and am always looking for something that works naturally. I recently tried something called "Oxypowder" and it actually worked for me. I did not notice any change on the first day, but by the second, what a difference. I now take it every other day. You can do a search on the web for Oxypowder. Good luck!!!
  7. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi glenda - Someone else mentioned Colace which is the brand name for Docusate Sodium Stool Softeners and they can be taken everyday for maintenance without becoming addicting. The only different thing I do is I buy the Equate brand from walmart and it works just as well except alot cheaper.

An old remedy that is sure to work is to try drinking a glass of Prune Juice. This has always worked for me.

Also Fleet or Dulcolax Suppositories work without the cramping.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Carolin
  8. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Try a tablespoon of cream or tartar mixed with whatever you think you can take it with. I like it with buttermilk! Some mix it with soup.

Good luck.

Andy
  9. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

I just started a new med which has caused this. I tried taking some benefiber every morning with my OJ but it didnt seem to help. I just recently started eating about 4-5 dried prunes everyday and adding some raw veggies like carrots and celery throughout the day. Finally getting some relief. Hope something helps you soon.
  10. Engel

Engel New Member

I have IBS ... What does your DR have to say about this? Do you drinks LOTS of water and fruit juices and get plenty of fiber? I am leary of OTC remedies (pills). Maybe you should try that benefiber (mix in water or juice)? I am bloated from fluid retention. DR put me on lasix and it has helped somewhat. I have to get a colonoscopy scheduled :-( . I keep putting it off.

((((( hope you get some relief )))))
  11. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

hi everyone
    still no luck!!i take a stool softner every night, benefiber every morning, milk of mag now since the othere did not work. i'll be going to the store later tonight to get the miralax(sp). i took vit. c but it breaks my face out in big under the skin zits. i go back to the dr.in 2 weeks the (gyno) i just had a hysto and my bladder stitched up but i have rectole prolasp. he said i could wait if i could keep my stools loose and i was with vit. c but as i said it breaks my face out horrible. so i will probably have to have the surgery sooner. lucky me.
    glenda
  12. glafdy

glafdy New Member

I have suffered for years with constipation and tried most everything available. My doctor then prescribed Miralax (which was mentioned above) - you mix it with some liquid. I mix mine in just water and add ice, stir it up, and there is no bitter taste.

If you are really bound up, it could take a couple of days to get things moving, but then it keeps it moving. I also take a 250 mg stool softener every night. Miralax was the answer for me.

Gladys
  13. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

was there any taste at all from the miralax?
    glenda
  14. frankie78

frankie78 New Member

hi glenda!

i've had the same problem for about 2 years, and tried everything under the sun. the supplement a homeopath told me about was MAGNESIUM CITRATE, it really works! i started at a higher dose, 2400 mg at night, and was able to go down as the months progressed. i only take half that now.

hope this helps.
    frankie
  15. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Try sauerkraut. I have lived in Germany for 5 1/2 years now and eat it sometimes. BUT.... It cleans me out totally and quick! Alot of people don't care for it but it does the job!

Some people here drink a small glass of sauerkraut juice daily and it works wonders.

God Bless,
    Bob
  16. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

I have IBS and the dr put me on samples of Zelnorm. No luck. Then I read that soy helps. I switched to soy milk and I eat Kashi Happy Trail Mix cookies 2 per day. They are sooooo good. They have flax seeds and other grains in them. I have had no problems since I switched to soy milk (Yes, it is tasty) and stopped eating anything with gluten (flour). I also eat cereal (Vanilla Cluster with multiple grains (no flour). This has worked for me. Nothing, and I mean nothing else worked regularly.

I hopes this helps. Oh yeah, I also don't have the bloating or gas that I had with other types of stool softners (powder and/or pills). I have tried everything else. It seemed so simple, but it works and I feel so much better.

I know how uncomfortable constipation is.

Take care,
    Kelly
  17. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

thanks for all the advise some of it has to work!!!
    i do liove saurekraut! i'll try these until i find the one that works for me thanks again
    glenda
  18. glafdy

glafdy New Member

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Regarding the Miralax having a taste to it - I find if I mix it well in a large glass of water, add a little ice so its nice and cold (I prefer my water really cold), it doesn't have any taste at all. I can't tell any difference from a regular glass of water.

It sure has helped me. Good luck.

Gladys
  19. michellesnitcher

michellesnitcher New Member

Hi.I too have the same problem on and off.I was told by an alternative/therapist that I must not eat anything with WHEAT ,YEAST,sugar,and acidic food such as citrus fruit and tea/coffee.This makes a difference.
  20. caroleye

caroleye New Member

If you google constipation, they give a lot of good helpers.

Coffee used to be mine, but had to stop it due to over acidity.

Now I eat raw spinach every night, vegetable soup (cabbage/celery/leeks/etc.), tofu (miso soup); & magnesium.

No wheat, gluten, cheese. And if I run into more than 2 days, I'll use BHI's suppositories (a natural homeopathic from the health food store) & bump up my program.

Awful feeling not to let go all of our crap!!

carole