Constant Fevers :(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Mar 18, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My latest symptoms seem to be constant fevers, headaches, still having horrible acid reflux problems no matter what I do. And today, I almost fell asleep sitting up. These symptoms just plain aren't manageable. And it just never ends. I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried everything. I think the doctor who said it's like being in a permanent state of stage four AIDS without being HIV positive was right. It's like AIDS Lite. I'm just so tired of it. Normal everyday stress nearly kills me. I just can't take any more of anything :(

I had someone stare at me very badly for using my handicapped pass. I guess the jerk thought I looked well. I've been getting that a few times lately. People don't understand that I feel like I am going to collapse on the ground. By the time I get into the car, I'm already dead. It's really hard on me. I'm lucky I can still go to the store twice a month or for an odd errand. But I need my handicapped pass. I cannot do the walking.

I'm just so tired of no one understanding that I might not look sick, but I am really very very sick :(
  2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I do worry about you - constant fevers and acid reflux sounds like you need thorough investigations and some treatment for the acid reflux.

Can you afford/get to a decent doctor for a full work-up?

Love Bunchy x
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've been delaying treatment until I can get back on Medicaid, hopefully in the Summer. Then I won't have to pay copays and such.

Fevers are nothing new for me, really. My journal is full of them. I'm just sick of it, though.

I aggravated the heartburn because I was in so much pain yesterday that I ended up taking Aleeve, even though I know it wrecks my stomach. Aleeve actually really helped me with the pain and stiffness. The stiffness was so much better. But it makes the Acid Reflux worse and it gave me weird stomach pain that I wasn't happy with. I didn't take it today. Can't win either way. I'm going to end up killing myself trying to manage these symptoms :(

I don't know what to do anymore. And I can't take most pain drugs. I don't know why they can't come out with a decent one that doesn't have awful side effects.
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

the first several years of this DD i had Constant im usually below normal go figure.NOTHING about the DD makes sense!!
    also i read that people with fibro/cfs feel as bad as Aids patients do.... 3 months before they die!! you would think as horrible as that sounds, people would be a little more sympathetic. your right Teabiscuit, were in a lose lose situation, and it sux!!!

about your stomach, you might ask your doc for something called carafate, it coats the stomach and it might give you some relief for when you have to take a pain med. Just a thought, hope your better soon,Kat
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Thanks for the carafate tip. I'll look into it. Downed another pepcid ac.

Yes, we are like late stage AIDS people, except we don't get the merciful death. We get to live and suffer :(

My fevers are weird. My body temperate can go as low as 92 degrees, but then I'll get a fever where I feel like I have a hundred and four, but it will read 98. Or I'll get it a bit higher with 101. Then it drops back down to 92 or 93 and stays there.
  6. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i do the exact same thing, except my lows arent that low. they range from 96 to 97.anything over 98 and i feel like im burning up from the inside out!! and 101 I'm fried!!
    if this is viral in nature, viruses don't like high temps, so i think that how they stay alive longer in our bodies, they drop the temp.they our bodies try & fight back, thats when we get the fevers.(Just my opinion)
    your right, this DD is about as merciful as Hitler!!!
    I'm at my wits end for sure.
    Feel Better, Kat
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

You do sound very sick. Have you completely ruled out tick-borne illnesses like Borrelia, Bartonella, Babesia, Ehrlichia, etc???

Here is a link to read about symptoms of those illnesses...scroll to page 26...

If you would like further information, leave a post for me on the lyme board.

Good luck!
  8. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

TeaBisqit - I have chronic fevers. I have for years. Nothing extreme, maybe less than 1 point above normal, but I can still feel it.

I also have acid reflux symptoms. I take Omeprazole for it/prescription. It seems to be working good for me so far.

It is very easy for me to fall asleep - anywhere. I had a sleep study done and need a CPAP machine - maybe you should look into that also.

I need to look into getting a handicapped parking pass. I don't have one yet and I keep putting it off because I think maybe someday I will get better. I won't use the pass unless I need it, but you are right, there are days when I feel like I will collapse to the ground. In fact, I've started falling and I think its because I'm just so darn tired most of the time. I also do not go to the store much either. When I do, I try to do as much shopping as possible, so I don't have to go again for a while. I usually collapse when I get home afterwards.

I am also tired of no one understanding. We need to somehow raise more awareness. Even family members and friends can be cruel. What's even worse - THEY GET IRRITATED WITH ME, like I'm doing this on purpose.
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm definitely severely Advanced Lyme. But nothing works on it. I've been on a grocery list of antibiotics. Tons of them. Zithromax, Keflex, Erythromycin, Doxycycline, Minocyclin, Tetracycline, Cipro, Biaxin, Rocephin. Can't remember what else. I was bit on record at age eight. No treatment back then because in 1978 or so, no one really knew about Lyme. Didn't get diagnosed until I was about 21. For me, I don't think there is any help with that right now.

shari1677, people who are healthy have no patience for sick people. They just don't care and can't be bothered with us. :(
  10. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I am so sorry that your Late lyme did not respond to treatment. I guess you've probably seen good LLMD's to get all that treatment you mentioned.

I know there are people on who have difficult cases like yours, especially with several coinfections. Were you treated for any coinfections like babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia, etc? Fevers usually go along with babesia or bartonella, and low body temp goes with lyme.

Did you take a cyst buster to try to kill the cell wall deficient form of borrelia such as plaquenil or flagyl?

I have to think that unless there is a LLMD out there who can help you, that the fevers, etc will continue. I wish I could do more to help you. I pray that you will find a Dr who knows the right treatment that can help.

I noticed that we live in the same state. My LLMD is very good just in case you are interested in trying to treat it with someone new. Take care.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2009]
  11. 28years

28years New Member

My fevers are just like yours. I've had them on and off for years and they sometimes drive me crazy. It esp. drives me nuts when my temp. is 96.2 and I feel like I'm burning up.

I have bad acid reflux too. I take med.'s for it that help alot. But there are several non-med things I do that also help alot.

---raise up the head of your bed (and the couch in my case) 4 to 6 inches,or prop yourself up on pillows--it is esp. important to elevate your shoulders.

---- try not to allow your stomach to get full. My biggest problem is that I drink alot of water and then lay down. Try to eat smaller meals more often and try to drink fluids in smaller doses (that is, try not to swig a whole glass of water at a time -I try not to do this, but I'm not always successful).

----take a little bit of baking soda in water (about 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon in just a little water).
  12. caroleye

caroleye New Member

After dealing with these for 30+years, I've come to realize a few things. First, stress of any kind will flare me into a fever, and make me very fatigued.

I'm "gluten sensitive", so if I eat anything that contains gluten (very few foods don't), I'll get sick to my stomach. Starts as "gastritis", and if I don't manage it, Gerd will occur. Was hospitalized with a bad case & they put me on Protonix, which took the pain away, but due to side effects, I only use that if my stomach pain gets worse. Meanwhile I take a natural homeopathic product by "Boiron" called Acidil. Also drinking hot or cold fluids can irritate me, and finding out what foods I can tolerate. Very few on my list now. Basically vegetarian with an occasional meal of fish/shrimp/game hen.

Stress again also causes my stomach problems. We carry our emotions in our stomach, so even being around obnoxious people can flare me. Thus I now live the life of a hermit; much easier.

I gave up on people being supportive years ago due to the same reason. Oh, you look soooo good!! And then I'm criticized by family for being "lazy". (used to be a highly energetic person). So just let them all go & live their lives; don't need that stress.

Yes, we are the walking? sick and the suffering is just not fair to any of us.

Healing vibes...................carole

13. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The stress is high lately. Terrible problems, first with my plumbing. I had no hot water to my apartment. It took three weeks for them to finally get it right. Now, I am in Comcast bad box hell. They keep giving me defective cable boxes and I'm getting sick from constantly having to wait for them to show up and it never works. I've been through almost half a dozen boxes in the past week and a half. Each one had it's own unique defectiveness. And I have yet another appointment for them to bring yet another box. I feel like it's bad box lotto. Maybe I'll get lucky, maybe I won't. I have no idea when this bad box hell will end :(
  14. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi TeaBisqit,

I'm so sorry for all of your stress and health problems and hope you feel better very soon.

I wanted to see if I can help you with Comcast "bad box hell" with the hope that it will take some stress off of you. If you aren't interested, feel free to disregard. I've had a lot of luck with companies when I take the approach I'm about to describe. I know this takes some energy, but it does help in the long run. If you get a little energy spurt, it's worth trying. A friend might be willing to help if you are not feeling well enough.

I would call Comcast and ask for a supervisor. If the customer service person asks if he/she can help you, say "no thank you, please connect me to a supervisor". In an authoritative but still polite tone, tell the supervisor that you are not being taken care of as a customer and are feeling frustrated. Explain what's happened and tell him/her you expect your next cable box to work perfectly and that you would like it tested in advance of them coming to your house. Also, you would like an appointment to be made the next time someone comes to your house so you don't have to wait all day; your time is valuable. Also, for all of your past time and trouble, you would appreciate two free months of cable service.

The supervisor may offer something else for free in case they aren't able to do two months of cable, such as only a month of free cable service or some other concession (maybe the cable box for free if it isn't already), in which case say, "thank you, I appreciate it". The point is that they offer something for your past time and aggravation and show they really do value your business. Most companies that have messed up as Comcast clearly has will do this because they want to keep your business and do not want bad word of mouth spread around about them. Anyway, I hope this helps!

Feel better.

All the best,

15. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Thanks. What I did with Comcast this week was to post on their customer service forum. Then someone from their Corporate office called me and credited me thirty dollars, however, since the problem is not yet solved completely, they should credit me for more time. I posted again today. They always have someone call me when I tell my whole tale of woe about their service publically for all the world to see. I explained how many boxes I've been through and how defective each one was. I was going to downgrade soon, I might end up doing it sooner if they can't give me a working box. Their company needs work.

This something I would like to add here. I was researching free internet access. And I came across a few articles of how the government wanted to build FREE municipal broadband networks across the US and give us either totally free service or they said only five or ten dollars a month for broadband. Both Comcast and Verizon blocked it in court! In fact, Verizon recently introduced some awful law that got passed to stop any kind of cheaper competition in my state. We need to fight for cheap internet access and cheap cable. It is not right that these rich companies get away with forcing us to pay huge monthly bills and they bully all the lawmakers into not allowing us get cheaper networks built.
  16. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

tea......when you get medicare, can you try IV antibiotics? have you ever tried them?

thank you
  17. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Tea,

Just wanted you to know how sorry I am about what you are going through...I have had a fever for 2 yrs and it really has hurt me a great deal.

For me it is so similar - managing the symptoms - with any one knocking me out - the PAIN, the exhaustion, the sadness, the frustration, the FEVER, the breathing problems, and around it goes - if three hit at once I feel I can't survive. I cry so much - but I try to bring up the littlest bit of hope I can find - or I feel I might just dissapear - did I mention the isolation. arghhhhhhh!

This DD is so hard...and my heart aches for the suffering. I hope you will get a big miracle soon. I will pray for you and hope that it is helps...

I hope you know my thoughts are with you and i am praying strength your way.

God Bless,

I want to open up the newpaper tommorow and see a CURE, that's right, a CURE for this. If I'm praying I'm praying BIG!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2009]
  18. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Yes, I've been on IV antibiotics and a grocery list of antibiotic pills. Nothing works.

And right now, I'm very feverish and dizzy. I had things to do today and once again, I cannot do them because I'm too sick. I really just want to sit and cry from it. The fatigue has been getting steadily worse since January. My doc just upped my Armor Thyroid pills in hopes it would help, but I don't feel it doing anything yet. I'm so exhausted that I couldn't even take a shower today. Everything I needed to do today can be done on Wed, but the point was, I wanted to go today.
  19. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

First off YOU have to know approximately what YOUR normal is.

I'm sick (besides being d'd sick :- /) of hearing from that man with MD behind his name "Oh but you are way below 'normal.' "

MY normal used to be somewhere between 96.3 and 96.5. I wish I could get back to there!

Granted these Fast Results digital thermometers aren't perfect but they can help you spot trends in yourself and your health.

Of course it doesn't help any if some generous soul shares her strep throat germs with you....and especially not when you've just barely recovered from pneumonia.
    That happened here. Just as I was stowing away the Nebulizer machine and the medicine for it, BANG! Strep throat. Thank goodness it's easy to treat at home and I didn't have to go to dr and croak out "Strep throat."

Next time any jerk gives you the hairy eyeball for using your handicapped pass, ask him why he's staring at you. Just that "Excuse me. Why are you staring at me?"
    Then when the sod babbles some nonsense about how you don't look handicapped or disabled to him, say "Thank you. My doctor, however, doesn't agree with you...have you completed medical school?"

Or: "Thank you. Up till now you didn't look stupid, either." Depends on your mood at the time and the jerks' attitude. Of course I prefer the latter, lol, since I've had idiots tell me I shouldn't be using my powerchair to get from place to place. Sure. I'll walk the mile or more round trip to/from the post office, get home, collapse on my bed for the next day or so. These "you don't LOOK sick" people should try to live our fractured lives for a while.

Please don't listen to them too much.