Constant gnawing hunger even after filling meal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by SingFMAway, Aug 27, 2005.

1. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

Has any one else experienced this?

I will eat and feel pleasantly full and then anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes later, I will be ravenously hungry again-- as if I hadn't eaten at all!!!!

What's wrong? I don't know if I should eat or not eat when that happens.

Could it be from Zoloft?

I had a hard time getting to sleep last night because of the hunger pains. In the past when I've been hungry at bedtime I would take a Tums, and that would satisfy it enough. That didn't work last night!

Any comments, suggestions?
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I was on Zoloft 11 years ago. It was one of the best anti-depressants I had been on. The bad side is, I gained 20 pounds overnight.

There must be something in it that increases appetite. I couldn't believe it when I got on the scales after starting.

This is what happened with me. You might want to talk to your doctor and see what other meds he/she might prescribe that don't cause this.

Good luck!

Kim
  3. lease79

lease79 New Member

Stomach ulcer can also cause these symptoms. Might pay to have a chat to your dr about it.

Lease
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I had exactly these symptoms, turned out to be a duodenal ulcer... I was confusing the pain with hunger pangs, weird I know!

the fact that the Tums helped initially is probably the best indicator, altho I'm not a doctor. Best thing is to go to your doctor and find out and get treated...

all the best,
    Victoria
  5. tilla

tilla New Member

Seems most of the antidepressants make you feel hungry. Cymbalta does not seem to though.

Tilla
  6. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I have the same exact problem. No matter how much I eat, I'm then still hungry. I'm seeing a new doctor and hope to find out if something is off with my endocrine system. Gosh, I hope I don't have an ulcer!

BxGirl
  7. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

I'll talk to my doctor about it.

I have noticed since taking the Zoloft that I've gained over 10 pounds. I'm not happy about that! If it is the Zoloft, that's unfortunate, because otherwise it's been really helpful. :(

I hope I don't have an ulcer, but I'll definitely check it out. Who should I call first PCP or Psychiatrist?

Kind of crazy seeing as six months ago I had very little appetite to speak of! I liked my weight when I was depressed!

Oh well.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

SingFMAway
  8. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

Let me know what you find out. Good luck!

SingFMAway
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

I thought that it would go away when I stopped taking the Zoloft but it didn't. I have been off Zoloft for over a year and I still experience that terrible hunger less than half an hour after eating a very satisfying meal.

Pepper
  10. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Constant hunger is a sign of that. Just a thought.
  11. Miles

Miles New Member

I have had this for 4 or 5 yrs. Been checked for ulcers, dietbetic, hormone, thyroid. No Dr. nows why. If I don't get something in my stomach I will start to shake & have to lay down. I have found meat, whey protein, fiber helps alot. I have to take something along with me all the time. I carry a little lunch bag with me, I even drink my whey protein in stores, church wherever, if the store clerk comes over I explain & no one say's anything they can see me shaking I think I scare them.

I take Elivil & Paxil & that isn't the cause.

I do have imflammation in my stomach that never heals. The endo Dr. said that wouldn't cause me to shake.

Wish I could help you.

Take care, Debbie
  12. Miles

Miles New Member

13. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi Sing:

I too have been taking Zoloft for 3 years and have gained 30 pounds and can't seem to lose them no matter how much I try! I didn't make the connection. I get hungry at all hours of the day and night. Hmmmm am going to have to talk to my doctor.

Francey54
  14. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

Hi! SingFMaway,

I have that feeling right now. I have had it off and on for over 25 years depending on what I eat and how the colon is doing. I have had some raw fruit today and I think that is what set it off. Must have been the peach. Also sugar can trigger it as well as coffee and sometimes tea. I have been trying to stay away from dairy, wheat, corn and gluten for the past week and feel much better. Never thought about a peach messing me up, but it caused me to bloat and to get the gnawing hunger again. Give watching what you eat a try and leave off fried foods, butter, etc.

Love to all of you FM angels!
  15. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

I had a strange esophagal spasm probelm a week ago. It only lasted 24 hours or so, but my doctor gave me Nexium and suggested I do a barium swallow (yuck!).

Has anyone had issues with Nexium? I didn't take it last night, and I seem to be getting normal and appropriate hunger today.

I'll call my dr tomorrow.

SingFMAway