Constant Headache anyone else..please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spudzy, Jan 23, 2007.

1. spudzy

spudzy New Member

I have FM and have constant headaches....it feels like lots of pressure and that the top of my head is going to explode...I also have lots of pain in the back of my neck and need any help or suggestions you can give....I have had FM for over 10 years and also have the fatigue/ pain and can not handle meds....I was just recently taken off of estrogen due to a questionable spot on the breast...please I am about the lose it...
  2. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Oh how I can relate! I've got FM/MPS complex, CFIDS/M.E., Lyme, a small pituitary tumor, etc. AND incessant, 24/7 head pain...seven years now (the bain of my existance)...

If you're not having "migraines," than you shouldn't take any migraine meds. If you're having more "muscular/tension-like" pain, here are a few suggestions, and please keep in mind that while we're all very hypersensitive to meds, I'm in the 0.5%...

Muscle relaxants can be very helpful for tension/muscular head pain which is what I have every single day (along with head pain attacks - HPAs): Soma, Baclofen, Zanaflex, Skelaxin, Klonopin (not a muscle relaxant but acts as one - the only meds that helps my head, neck and leg pain), etc.

Magnesium and potassium act as natural muscle relaxants.

Acupuncure with an acupuncturist who is VERY familiar with FM and MPS (the trigger points are probably what are making your neck hurt like the dickens - mine do)

Myofascial massage by a PT so insurance might help out.

Heat on the neck and ice on the head or vice versa. You know your body best.

I feel like my head will IMplode as opposed to explode. lol Most people don't understand when we say CONSTANT head pain/pressure/ache. They think we mean "chronic migraines" which are bad enough on their own but very different.

If you DO get migraines, I'd suggest a preventive: Calan SR/Verapamil (generic), Inderal (contraindication is asthma), Tegretol, Depakote, Neurontin, Topamax (be careful as "can" cause glaucoma or other eye disorders), Nimotop, etc.

Abortives: Maxalt, Imitrex (injection or oral), Axert, Amerge, Migranal Nasal Spray (only one that "helps" me), DHE-45 (like Migranal NS but an injection and stronger), Midrin, Cafergot, etc.

I suggest seeing a neurologist who specializes in headaches of all types.

Be careful with antidepressants if bipolar syndrome runs in your family. Steer clear of things that increase your serotonin a lot..."can" trigger a manic episode and permanent bipolar syndrome. One can carry a "dormant" gene even though not bipolar...

Just some ideas which I hope helped give you a start...

Check out:

www.about.com (headache board is really good)
    www.webmd.com (headache board is pretty good)

Keep us posted...

Warmly,
    LB32 (Leeza)

p.s.
    You WILL find something to help ease your symptoms. Don't give up!!
  3. FM58

FM58 New Member

I certainly can relate

Leeza gave you some excellant advice.

A neurologist that specializes in headache management would be the best place to start. He/She can help you find what medications will help to abort you headaches.

It's important to be careful about using pain medications for daily headaches - you then risk what is called "rebound" - the headache rebounding again when the pain med wears off.

This kind of doc will also help to come up with a proflilactic measure of medications to prevent your headaches. This sometimes takes quite a while to tweak, it's important to keep in touch & work closely w/ your doc during this phaze. Once you have this in place- it'a very inpoertant to keep to your regimin to prevent headaches. Then you will have to use you abortive meds much less.

Good luck finding a neurologist that specializes in headaches & getting rid of your head pain.

Patty
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

It sounds like a migraine. My migraines are triggered by sulfites (fruit & wine preservative), MSG (monosodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, yeast extract, hydrolyzed vegetable protien), nitrites & nitrates.

MSG is the absolute worse one. Sometimes coffee helps, sometimes it makes it worse. Ginseng helps but wires me up. Detox the liver always, always helps, but it takes awhile. Celestial Seasonings makes a Detox A.M. tea that helps. Dandelion root, red clover, milk thistle.

Estrogen withdrawal can be bad too. Dr. William Wong says that Estrogen Replacement Therapy was made by Doctor's logic and never with any sort of trials. What helps women is Progesterone. My wife is on it, prescribed by our D.O. and it helps her. Ask your doc about Progesterone.

Lastly, do your headaches/backaches hurt worse when you position your neck a certain way? It could be a pinched nerve. I had this for years. One of my legs is shorter than the other, it caused the "building blocks" of my spine to pull out of place, so my neck (C2, "Axis") pulled out to the right constantly. The chiropractor pushed it in but it would pop back out the next day....I could feel it. I now wear a 3/8" heel lift.

Estrogen grows fibroids, so stay away from phyto-estrogens like Soy.
  5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I haven't had a headache since I use air purifiers in my house. And I completely avoid artificial sweeteners (which is in REGULAR chewing gum), MSG, and foods that list chemicals as ingredients. No hydrolized anything. Cluster headaches are the worst pain I've ever experienced.
  6. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

my neurologist said the worst thing I did was treat them myself for a year or so, it made it more difficult to treat in the end.

There is a lot of good medication- OTC stuff is not for this type of pain. See a neurologist. I got help for mine, and I should have done it sooner. Trust me on this one.

Yours in Health,
    Bunny
  7. jake123

jake123 New Member

I agree with the people above who say go to a neurologist. I've been going to one for about three years now and my headaches have decreased greatly and when I do get one, I can treat it and go to bed in a dark, cold room drift off to sleep and wake up without it.

It took quite a while to get the meds just right because I have RSD but I have room to jiggle some of the meds as I see fit. So far this school year I have only missed one day due to a headache. Truly miraculous!
  8. kjfms

kjfms Member

I agree with Ouch I love you name too and it is very nice to meet you.

I have chronic daily headaches, chronic migraines, and chronic headaches due to a pituitary macroadenoma (large tumor measuring over 10mm).

First of all please see a neurologist to see what kind of headaches you have this is very important to your health and treatment.

There is a wonder site called M.A.G.N.U.M. www dot migraine dot org.

Posting URLs to sites with messages boards is against the rules of this sight.

You might also want to Google:

Nation Headache Foundation

American Council for Headache Education

Web MD

Medicine Net

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find relief soon but please before you try anything new see you family physician or neurologist.

Taking aspirin for example if you would happen to have an undiagnosed aneurysm could spell a lot of trouble.

I am not trying to scare you I am just wanting you to use caution because even though most people think a headache is no big deal they can at times be a very big deal.

Migraine for example is a disease and the headache is only a symptom.

You can type in headache or migraine in the search here (left top) and you should find a lot of interesting information on this site. I have posted several items in the past.

The following I used before I had medication to help and still use when medication is not enough:

You might try alternating ice and heat on your head and neck.

This trick is and old one of my grandmothers and it does wonders.

If you have an iron put the on low med heat. Wrap in a towel, place on the soles of your feet. This will help relax your entire body and help you go to sleep (the best thing for you) I use it along with alternating the heat and ice.

(if not use a heating pad rig it with something to wrap around the soles of your feet)

One last thing it sounds crazy but will work even on a migraine. Vick's rub on you forehead and temples (I have even put in on my head under my hair) and take a couple of Tylenol or whatever you take. Put a heating pad or hot wash cloth on your neck and go to bed.

I hope some or all of these will help you a little so you can get some rest. Please call your physician in the morning.

Please take care of you,

Karen :)

9. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

I'm sorry that you have constant headaches - I can totally relate. There's been many good advice here already...I just wanted to "second" the advice re: seeing a neurologist.

Also, someone mentioned rebound headaches - I had these many years ago and they were terrible. Darvocet and Fioricet caused rebounds for me - but I know these meds work for some.

Even with all of the pain meds I'm on now - Excedrin works the best in terms of my headaches - IF I can catch it at the very start.

I'm sorry, sweetie :) Hope you can get some relief from something! --Tina
  10. shnopee

shnopee New Member

...and the book "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief"

Hi spudzy,

When I read your post, I can totally relate. I used to have that every single day for years, worse in the morning when I wake up, like everything else. There were some days that the pain was so bad that tears would actually come out of my eyes from so much pain even though I wasn't crying(a lot of times I felt like doing just that though : ) Another way to describe it is like there is a vise or clamp around your skull.

Alll the advise given above is good advise. I was taking so many different kinds of over-the counter pain meds for the headaches but nothing was helping but what has helped me a lot was going to a chiropractor. I hasten to add, only if it is a good practitioner, or someone that you are compatible with. I went to two others to no benefit before I finally found one who really made a difference.

I was going to a chiropractor, primarily for my back pain/ache and was almost about to give this up since it didn't seem to be helping much until my massage therapist suggested that I try hers. I went to her just hoping for some help with my back problems but since going to her, my daily constant headaches and extreme pain/tenderness in the back of my neck, more prescisely, the base of my skull(or occiput - look this up to see if it's the same spot) and constant fogginess and feeling of confusion went away. I haven't changed or done anything else other than changing chiropractors and happy to report that it really basically went away. Not to say that I never experience this anymore but maybe only once every several months, and when I do, I know to schedule an "emergency" appointment to get adjusted. I have now been able to reduce my visits to only once a month for tune-ups.

I was really quite skeptical of this already after having tried two different chirporactors. One that I went to for about 6 months, and another for a full year with the "treatment plan", with not much change. After now having experienced dramatic relief after going to this chiropractor, I think, at least in my experience, you can tell if the chiro you're going to is actually able to help after going for 6 months, I think that is enough time to know that this person is actually able to help. Staying past that with no improvement might indicate that that person is not the one for you. My husband had the same experience. He was going to the same one I was going to previously for his migraines and although it helped him a little, it was not as dramatic as the one we go to now.

One other benefit I got from this new one that I wasn't expecting is I used to have the worse cramps right before my period and used to experience extreme body ache and pain, on top of the ones we fibro sufferers already suffer from. I would go through this at least one week before the start of my period and since going to her, no longer experience any of it. The times that I haven't seen her before I have my period like when I go on vacation or she goes away, I again have the worse cramps where I am popping excedrin and ibuprofen like candy.

The other thing that has really helped me a lot is a book that has already been mentioned here a lot, "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief" by Clair Davies. It covers different trigger points and the associated referred pain areas and realized that a lot of my headaches could actually be relieved by manipulating the trigger point, a lot of which are in muscles in my neck/jaw and occiput area. I cannot begin to tell you how much of a relief it was when I found out what areas to massage, that there were actual spots where the pain was coming from and not just a generalized headache pain/pressure and that there is actually someting I can do to help alleviate the pain rather than just succumb to it.

I hope this helps!
  11. shnopee

shnopee New Member

12. Ales

Ales New Member

The best description of my constant headache would be the disease called "hemicrania continua". However I have been suffering from CFS for nearly 9 years. It hurts incessantly in the left part of the brain between its parietal and temporal parts. This spot is the definitive cause of all my CFS problems. What helps is sleep. No painkiller is effective for this kind of pain. I would like to try topiramate and duloxetine.