Constantly sore throat...like dry, sticky, raw and burning all at

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Aug 11, 2006.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

once...hurts really bad when air hits the back of my throat...I think it is to do with some sort of nasal drip or something cos I am an allergic-type person with this DD...it really hurts...even to talk a a little...my throat is raw-dry but it keep getting mucus-y and I have to keep clearing accumulated gunk at the back of my throat! I have an appt. with general doc next week (this is an ongoing thing). She has already given me anti-b's which I took! :( Made no difference! She always looks at my throat and says it's a little inflamed but nothing major...it's getting worse and it's driving me mad! Any one else get this!? Any tips...I'm constantly drinking water and coke etc to cool the burning sensation. Thanks. God bless. Shelbo.
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Could it be that you have candida? It sounds like that may be it. Look at your tongue. If it's white and not pink you should consider this as a possible cause.

3. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

Could be irritation from post-nasal drainage. That's the "drippy stuff" that you can see in the back of your throat or coating your epiglottis - the little "punching bag" hanging down from your throat.

You said that you're an allergic-type person, so it's likely. I have the same problem.

If your doctor says it's okay, you might find relief with a small dose of Benadryl. It's an antihistamine and will stop the drainage. You should be aware that it can cause drowsiness, so be careful about driving, etc., when you take it.

You can buy Benadryl or its generic form diphenhydramine over-the-counter at any pharmacy or retail store like Target or Walmart, or even a grocery store. There is a liquid form and also tablets that dissolve on your tongue, if your throat is too sore to swallow a pill.

Be sure to check with your doctor before trying any new medication, however, especially one that might cause side effects like drowsiness, or if you are taking other medications, to avoid drug interactions.

Drinking lots of liquids can help with the throat pain. I drink lots of water and also like green tea or mint tea, which feels soothing.

Also, I use Chloraseptic Spray when the pain gets really bad. It has an anesthetic in it that numbs the area. Just gargle and either swallow or spit it out. I use it before I sleep, so that I don't wake up coughing from the drainage.

Good luck - I hope you can find relief soon.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2006]
  4. shelbo

shelbo New Member

do you get it nearly every day...do you know what kinds of triggers cause it? TIA Shelbo :)
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

sinus irrigation, mouthwashes and gargles. I also find using a colloidal silver spray for my throat helps. Inflammation, infections, and substances/foods to which I am intolerant, sensitive, and allergic, can make this problem worse.

TC, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2006]
  6. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I hope something will help with this!

My problem was not as severe as yours is, but in the early months of being bedridden I would wake often at night with a sore throat. I kept a small bottle of mouthwash beside the bed. I'd take a very small sip, just enough to wet the back of my throat with. It would sting for a second, then get kind of numb, so that was better, and then I could sleep again. Now I use a smidge of very strong natural mint toothpaste if I wake with a sore throat.

There are analgesic (I mean pain-numbing, hope that's the right word) throat sprays you can buy. There is also some brand of cough drops that have anesthetic in them. Maybe you will be able to experiment with some of these products.

Hope something will bring relief for you, Shelbo.
    ((hugs)) Shannon
  7. bozey

bozey New Member

I have this right now and my Dr. told me to use mucinex. He says the air conditioning has dried me out really bad. I just started taking it. It does seem to help so far.

bozey
  8. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Thanks again...it's really getting me down! :(