Constipation from Lorcet...how do you handle it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dee50, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I need help with handling the constipation from my Lorcet 10/650MG tab. I take 1/2 tablet twice a day. I use Colonix fiber. Eating fruits just gives me the oppisite problem. Prunes help alittle but not much. I drink lots of water. I take pro botics but my doctor said no to the food enyemes I was useing.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Dee50
  2. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

Colace is the name brand which is expensive but you can purchase the generic brand at Walmart which is alot cheaper.

Stool softeners work by sending water from the body to the intestines and are not habit forming. It is not a laxative and can be taken daily for maintenance.

I also find that a glass of prune juice is helpful.

Good Luck,
    Lindy
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

I was on a lot of meds when I first got out of the hospital two months ago and boy did I get constipated. I know how frustrating that is, and scary too.

I agree with the poster who mentioned the stool softeners, and don't buy Colace too expensive, Wal-Mart brand was mentioned, I get mine at BJ's there store brand is over half the price of Colace. You can get two big bottles for the same price of one little bottle of Colace. They work jusst as well. I take three a day, the maximum allowed.

I drink lotsa water, prune juice and I eat Raisin Bran.

((((((Hugs)))))
    Michelle
  4. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I've got some stool softeners. I'll use them didn't think about them:)And I'll send my husband out of some prune juice. Boy I'm not thinking to clearly these days.
    Thanks again
    Dee50
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I take Tylox (aka oxycodone or Percocet) which causes constipation just like Lorcet (aka hydrocodone or Vicodin). Any of the narcotic pain relievers are constipating.

I have been eating The Shake for a month, and my poo has never looked better! You should consider trying it. It does, however, take awhile to gather all the ingredients, and it takes a week or so before it starts to help the GI tract. It takes a bit of time to get into the groove of making it everyday, too.

Stormyskye started a thread called “The Shake” on 11/20/05 which talks about how to make it. I posted in detail on that thread how I make it.

Stormy also posted the benefits of The Shake on a post 11/21/05 titled “dixiede”. This was a post on whey that I think you posted on also.

In the meantime, try Benefiber. I found tremendous relief from taking just 1 Benefiber tablet per day. Take it with plenty of water—at least 8 oz, better to go with 16 oz. After a couple of days, I started getting really big beautiful poo (sounds funny, I know!). I went up to 2 Benefiber a day for a few weeks, then went back to being slightly constipated. It was great short term relief, though! At least I felt like things were moving again.

I overlapped the Benefiber with The Shake. After a few days on The Shake, I went down to 1 Benefiber, then off it completely. The Shake took over and now I’m very regular.

I also take 2 probiotic capsules per day. If I am a little too loose, I just take one. I also added 1 T aloe vera juice and 1 T lemon juice in a small glass of water in the morning. I think that has helped my gut health, also.

Be sure you are drinking plenty of water, too. I think you need more water when you are taking narcotics.

Good luck!

Katy

[This Message was Edited on 11/22/2005]
  6. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I did the stool softener, citracel thing for a long time, then my doc put me on Miralax, which is a prescription laxative. Works for me. Finding the right dosage was a little tricky.
  7. kcollins

kcollins New Member

I have had good liuck with taking vitamin c and magnesium supplements to help with constipation
  8. jake123

jake123 New Member

Raisin bran either am or pm
    veggies - broccoli, turnip greens, green beans, squash
    water intake
    juice -
    stool softner
    when desperate - Milk of magnesia
  9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm copying the whole link thanks everyone:) I'm not thinking to clearly now days.
    Dee50
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I just read in a newspaper's doctor's advice column to drink 8 oz. of warm prune juice daily to eliminate constipation.

I also take 2 capsules of the generic Colace each evening and try to drink lots of water.

I just bought some chocolate covered raisans and put them in a candy dish on our kitchen counter. My husband and I both kept getting a handful every time we walked by the counter. I noticed that the following morning, I certainly did not have any constipation problems!! Of course, it would definitely be better to eat just plain raisans as a snack rather than the chocolate covered ones--just not as good!!! LOL

Janet
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have a problem from IBS-D, so I don't have a problem unless I take over 2 Lortabs in one day.

When I used to take a med that made me constipated I used Laci Le Beau Super Dieters Tea and had 2 cups of that a day. It works great and is available at most grocery stores or health food stores/well known supplement store chains.

This tea does have mild laxatives in it and that is why it works. You can steep it for as long as you want to. I used to take it for years and years.

Then got the IBS-D and rarely have problems with constipation.

Hope you will feel better.

Hugs,
    Faye
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Ask your doctor for a prescription for Miralax. It is odorless, colorless. You mix with water or juice.

It works and is not harsh at all. You can read about it on the internet.

I also have good luck eating "Giant French Prunes" followed by a large glass of water.

I am not on Lortabs but I am sure the Miralax would work.
  13. Musica

Musica New Member

I don't know if that is a generic for Colace. That is what was prescribed, but the pharmacist showed me a store brand that is over the counter. They are very small geltabs, easy to swallow, and nothing to mix or worry about how it tastes. (Although I see where Citracel comes in either orange flavor or as a chocolate shake now!)
  14. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Janet-I drink prune drink, I'll start warming it up. Love choc. raisans but they don't help me. I'm useing a stool softener-Thanks

Stormyskye-I was on aloe juice and lemon and I use Golden Flax oil. My Doctor has pulled me off all herbs ect... he is on the look out for reactions. We are keeping it very simply now.
    Pain meds
    Colonix fiber
    Immun Plex-Undenatured Whey Protein
    All One powder Multiple vitamins and minerals
    Flora Protect-Probiotics
    I'm eating simple organic steamed or micro veg.
    and a little chicken I'm not hungry.
    I drink lots of RO water.
    No herbs, herb teas ect..for now
    one day at a time

Faye-I'll remember Laci Le Beau Super Dieter Tea but can't drink it now-thankyou

PVLady Miralax and Giant French Prunces-I love prunce.

When my appendix ruptured on 11/5/2005 I had just drink about 2 ounces of that Magcitrate cherry flavored stuff. You can beat I'll NEVER drink it again.lol

Thank you all
    I'm hurting and I've got to go to bed. I cleaned house today I was so mad and I'm so sick of being so so sick.
    Dee50
  15. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

I have gone through many, many ways to keep the BMs moving over the years...the best thing would be MIRALAX as stated above.

It is a must to keep your BMs moving daily, the poison (poo-poo) must be eliminated everyday for our already sick body's.

MIRALAX is a prescription, if you dont want to do that try two-four tablets of SENAKOT-S ,Magnesium, loads of veggies, fruits and tons of water!.

I do both! Everybody is different, some people dont GO everyday and that may be how their body is but remember the poo-poo must be let go asap!

All I can say is that MIRALAX is the best thing around, tasteless powder that dissolves into any drink.
  16. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm happy the report problem solved! And I feel so so much better:)

JGAVI-Miralax and Senakots-s thanks I'll remembeer them.

Thank you for everyones input this turned out to be a great link for constipation problems I help it helps many folks in the present and in the days to come. We are all a very special group of folks. Bless all of you.

Happy Thanksgiving to all :)
    Dee50

17. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Dee

I'm lucky and don't have the problem but my mom and hubby do. My mom eats a coffee cup filled with grapes at dinner each night and hasn't had a problem since - and she has had problems her entire life - not just because of meds.

My DH eats either grapes or prunes each nite.
  18. maripat

maripat New Member

I take pain meds daily (Lortab) I also take a stool softener with a laxative in it.
    If things get too bad, I will also use suppositories and enemas.
    good luck
    and happy thanksgiving
    maripat
  19. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Abbylee-I'll add more grapes thanks cause dryed ones don't work for me. I guess I need to use the real fruit.lol no short cuts.

Maripat-suppositories and enemas. I give myself enemas but the last one I did hurt so so bad that I'm laying off them for a while. My stomach hurt really bad after the last one.

Chocolat-Milk of Magnesia I use it. Man it feels more like a bomb coming out then a bm. I'm sure your husband would agree with me.lol Maybe it gets better after you have used it a while.lol I'm so sorry about your husbands colon cancer pray that he is doing much better after doctors worked on him. This makes you two experts in this field.

8 ounce of warm prune juice is really helping. Plus I'm not eating much no days to much pain.

I did way to much house cleaning a couple of days ago but..I was so mad and sick of being sick that I figured cleaning house was a better choice than putting my fist though something.lol
    So now I can hardly move. But that was my choice.

Dee50

[ advertisement ]