Contest: Golden Globe predictions -- results

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jan 10, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The annual Golden Globe Awards are on TV on Monday night. Below are ten of the more interesting categories and the nominations (I haven't seen most of these either). The person with the most correct guesses wins an all-expense paid trip to Los Angeles, including visits to Disneyland, Universal Studios, and Rockgor's house. The person with the least correct guesses also wins a visit to Rockgor's house.

1. Best film - Drama:
    The Departed
    Little Children
    The Queen

2. Best film - Musical Or Comedy:
    Little Miss Sunshine
    The Devil Wears Prada
    Thank You For Smoking

3. Best director - film:
    Clint Eastwood - Flags of Our Fathers
    Clint Eastwood - Letters from Iwo Jima
    Stephen Frears - The Queen
    Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - Babel
    Martin Scorsese - The Departed

4. Best performance by an actress in a film - Drama:
    Penelope Cruz - Volver
    Judi Dench - Notes on a Scandal
    Maggie Gyllenhaal - Sherrybaby
    Kate Winslet - Little Children
    Helen Mirren - The Queen

5. Best performance by an actor in a film - Drama:
    Leonardo DiCaprio - Blood Diamond
    Leonardo DiCaprio - The Departed
    Peter O'Toole - Venus
    Will Smith - The Pursuit of Happyness
    Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland

6. Best television series - Drama:
    Big Love
    Grey's Anatomy

7. Best performance by an actress in a television series - Drama:
    Patricia Arquette - Medium
    Edie Falco - Sopranos
    Evangeline Lilly - Lost
    Ellen Pompeo - Grey's Anatomy
    Kyra Sedgwick - The Closer

8. Best performance by an actor in a television series - Drama:
    Patrick Dempsey - Grey's Anatomy
    Michael C Hall - Dexter
    Hugh Laurie - House
    Bill Paxton - Big Love
    Kiefer Sutherland - 24

9. Best television series - Musical Or Comedy:
    Desperate Housewives
    The Office
    Ugly Betty

10. Best performance by an actress in a television series - Musical Or Comedy:
    Marcia Cross - Desperate Housewives
    America Ferrera - Ugly Betty
    Felicity Huffman - Desperate Housewives
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus - The New Adventures of Old Christine
    Mary-Louise Parker - Weeds

[This Message was Edited on 01/10/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2007]
  2. Callum

Callum New Member

The Golden Globes are harder to predict than the Academy Awards, as many of their choices come out of left field. (Scarlett Johansenn as best actress for "The Girl with the Pearl Earings", or more strange, Pia Zadora in "Butterfly" for most promising newcomer.

That said, these are my predictions, hoping against hope to win the trip to Rock & Gordon's:

1. Best film - Drama:
    My personal choice would be "Little Children". The buzz seems to be for "Babel", but my prediction will be

The Departed

2. Best film - Musical Or Comedy:
    I liked all five of these films - a lot. I think that "Thank You For Smoking" was the funniest of the comedies, but I thought "Little Children" was more brilliant. "Dreamgirls" and "Borat" were both better than I expected. And Meryl Streep was phenom in "Prada." I think it's a 3 way race between Borat, Dreamgirls & Little Miss Sunshine, and if this weren't the Hollywood FOREIGN Press, I would predict Sunshine, but since they love to see Americans get mocked:

3. Best director - film:

I think a three way race again, between Eastwood (for "Letters"), Inarritu & Scorsese. The Hollywood Foreign Press love young, foreign directors, so I'm Tempted to pick Inarritu, but:

Martin Scorsese

4. Best performance by an actress in a film - Drama:

Five Incredible Performances. Mirren has been sweeping almost every award in sight... And I think she should be the most likely to win... But I know the globes like to pick performances that no one who doesn't frequent the artiest of the art houses has seen, so I'm going to go WAY out on a limb:

Maggie Gyllenhaal

5. Best performance by an actor in a film - Drama:

As good as Leonardo was in "The Departed", I think that this is a two-person race - Forest Whitaker and Peter O'Toole (This movie is worth it just to watch O'Toole and Vanessa Redgrave give a master class in acting):

Forest Whitaker

6. Best television series - Drama:

Didn't Big Love win this last year? I think it's between "Grey's Anatomy" and "24".:

7. Best performance by an actress in a television series - Drama:

For some reason, I find this the least interesting of the categories this year. I think Ellen Pompeo has an outside chance, and Kyra is a favorite of the Globes, but:

Edie Falco

8. Best performance by an actor in a television series - Drama:

I think this is a three way race between Michael C Hall, Hugh Laurie & Kiefer Sutherland. Again I'm going out on a limb, and predicting the very quirky, scarey performance by:

Michael C. Hall

9. Best television series - Musical Or Comedy:

I think you can take "Desperate Housewives" out right away, as it hasn't really been that funny. I think it will be between "Entourage" and "The Office", with both "Weeds" & "Betty" primed for an upset... I'm going with my heart on this one:

The Office

10. Best performance by an actress in a television series - Musical Or Comedy:

I think they will give it to the charming newcomer:

America Fererra

My Oscar predictions tend to be much more accurate - I'm usually about 95% in our annual oscar party, where we have to predict all 26 major categories... so, if anyone wants input for their Oscar pools...

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

know all of those films so does that mean I've lost and get to go to Rock's place?????

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Those are well-thought out predictions. I'll be curious to see your Oscar predictions, too.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Come one, come all. Feel fry to drop in whenever you are in the neighborhood.

As the man said in "The Treasure of Sierra Madre,", you don't need no stinkin' invitations.

I think the crew will be done by next Tuesday. Once they get that big tent off the building we can move back in. Soon as we sweep up the dead bugs, we'll be all set.

Work is still going on porch-wise. Should be finished in another week.

Might want to wait a couple weeks till after the grand opening at the Recycling Bin. I spect there will be a lot of traffic at the end of the block as they are giving away something.

We saw the men carrying cages one night, but couldn't see too well. Looked kinda like goats, but Gordon thought it smelled more like pigs. The lady on the corner is afraid they'll get out and bother her chickens.

At least the hostage situation across the street is all cleared up. The last of the coroner's wagons left this morning. The landlord is pleased that the caulking he's using on the porch can also be used to fill in the bullet holes.

It's pretty dull round these parts so we'll sure be glad of some company. Ken, bring your scooter and your chair. The kids will love ridin' in them. Nothin' they like better than a good drag race.

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I have nowhere near Callum's insight on these, so I'm just making wild guesses.

1. Babel
    2. Little Miss Sunshine
    3. Alexandro Gonzales Inirritu -- Babel
    4. Helen Mirren The Queen
    5. Forest Whitaker The Last King of Scotland
    6. Grey's Anatomy
    7. Kyra Sedgwick The Closer
    8. Michael C Hall Dexter
    9. The Office
    10. America Ferrera Ugly Betty
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2007]
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That is hilarious. Global predictions would be pretty hard right now, wouldn't they?--except maybe for global warming or continued trouble in the Middle East.
  8. Callum

Callum New Member

I could see you going 9 for 10...

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Lindy: 3 correct
    AliGrace: 3 correct
    Callum: 3 correct
    me: 6 correct

Believe me; I just got lucky--among these, I've only seen "House" and one episode of "Ugly Betty"!

Thanks for playing.

Here are the results:

1. Best picture: Babel
    2. Best musical or comedy: Dreamgirls
    3. Best director: Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"
    4. Best actress: Helen Mirren, "The Queen"
    5. Best actor: Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland
    6. Best TV drama: "Grey's Anatomy"
    7. Best actress in drama: Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"
    8. Best actor in drama: Hugh Laurie, "House"
    9. Best comedy: "Ugly Betty"
    10. Best actress in comedy: America Ferrera, "Ugly Betty"