Control IBS - maintenance dose

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abbylee, Oct 9, 2005.

1. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My doc gives me Bentyl for IBS and it works in about 24 hours. I take one cap before meals and at bedtime.

Lately, though, I've been taking one in the morning and one at night, and I've not had any IBS problems in 6 months!!

This drug is by prescription and is not expensive.

2. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi Abbylee,

So glad to hear you are IBS-problem-free for 6 months! Wow! Great!

What exactly does Bentyl do? What symptoms does it help?

3. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Hi CAAnnieB - Bentyl stopped the cramping and upset stomach and by taking a maintenance dose, everything is regular now.

4. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Thanks for the quick answer! I was curious because it seems people with IBS have different symptoms...Some have diarrhea, some the opposite, some a combo!

A Dr. recently diagnosed me with "severe IBS", but I don't even think that I have it! If I do; then I just "got it" since July...I'm suspecting my gurgly intestines & inconsistent bowels have more to do with me taking a supplement called "Fiber Smart" by RenewLife. I started using it when the good ol' Magnesium wasn't keeping things moving anymore.

Again, I'm glad to hear of your good news. This Dr. who diagnosed me only recommended Antidepressants for IBS...I didn't realize there were any meds out there specifically for IBS.

5. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

and asacol, donnatol, levsin, and levbid and I think some others I can't remember...none helped me...but as I am learning everyday we are all different and I am very happy to know it is helping is bad enough we all have probs with our dd...being on the toliet (or not) only makes things worse. yeah for you!!!
  6. jaltair

jaltair New Member

"Dicyclomine - Bentyl: The anticholinergics/antispasmodics are a group of medicines that include the natural belladonna alkaloids (atropine, belladonna, hyoscyamine, and scopolamine) and related products. The anticholinergics/antispasmodics are used to relieve cramps or spasms of the stomach, intestines, and bladder. Some are used together with antacids or other medicine in the treatment of peptic ulcer. Others are used to prevent nausea, vomiting, and motion sickness.

Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. When you are taking anticholinergics/antispasmodics, it is especially important that your health care professional know if you are taking any of the following:

1) Antacids or
    2) Diarrhea medicine containing kaolin or attapulgite or
    3) Ketoconazole (e.g., Nizoral) - Using these medicines with an anticholinergic may lessen the effects of the anticholinergic
    4) Central nervous system (CNS) depressants (medicines that cause drowsiness) - Taking scopolamine with CNS depressants may increase the effects of either medicine
    5) Other anticholinergics (medicine for abdominal or stomach spasms or cramps) or
    6) Tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline [e.g., Elavil], amoxapine [e.g., Asendin], clomipramine [e.g., Anafranil], desipramine [e.g., Pertofrane], doxepin [e.g., Sinequan], imipramine [e.g., Tofranil], nortriptyline [e.g., Aventyl], protriptyline [e.g., Vivactil], trimipramine [e.g., Surmontil]) - Taking anticholinergics with tricyclic antidepressants or other anticholinergics may cause an increase in the effects of the anticholinergic
    7) Potassium chloride (e.g., Kay Ciel) - Using this medicine with an anticholinergic may make gastrointestinal problems caused by potassium worse"

(From drug dot com)
  7. kac1960

kac1960 New Member

Bentyl too it works wonders. One thing I have under control.

Cheers Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  8. jen_miester27

jen_miester27 New Member

i just started taking bentyl for ibs. i thought i was suppose to take as needed, then my mom told me i am suppose to be taking it 3 times a day, whether needed or not. im glad i read your post abbylee...thats awesome not having problems for 6 months...i will definitly start taking it like i am suppose to.
    thanks for the posting!