Cooked a Beef Roast With The Paper Still Attached To The Bottom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by greatgran, Aug 31, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Well, I thought I would at least try to get dinner for the family today, my head was in its usual fog.

So put a Roast on to bake, then added my veggies to it. Started to serve it and the paper that is in the bottom of the package was cooked with the roast. Ugh, it made me sick.

Now, to server or not. My husband said its just paper so he ate. I couldn't eat a bite. My son will be in from work soon so I will let him eat at his own risk.

Have any of you ever done this, if so is it harmful to eat the food?

I called the meat dept. where I purchased the roast, they said it was just drip paper and would be ok, they thought.
    Never had anyone to ask them about it.

Well, what next, I am getting till it isn't safe for me to drive, cook or function at times. This horrible fog in my head or something not right in there.

2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

in my opinion it would be perfectly safe. After all you're not going to actually eat the paper! And the juices that were IN the paper were the same juices that were in the meat -- and you'd just cooked them both anyway, right?

On a similar note, the first turkey I ever cooked (just out of college, newly married, wanted to make a great first Thanksgiving dinner for new DH) I didn't know about that little bag of "extra parts" they stick in the bottom of the turkey cavity. So of course I didn't know to remove it. Cooked it right in there and didn't find it until *after* we'd finished eating and I was bagging up the leftovers! Did I mention it to hubby? No, I did not! ;-)

Best wishes,
  3. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

With a turkey about 2-4 years ago. I even made stuffing and forgot to stuff the bird! So, it happens, my husband ate it and so did I, and we survived!LOL! Don't be so hard on yourself, its life. I wonder what's going to happen when I make a pork roast tonight! Since I'm not having a good day at all either. Take care!
  4. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I am really sorry that you are having a hard time. Even sorrier that the fact that it cost $$, your time, effort and that you felt that you couldn't eat it.

It reminded me of my sister....No she doesn't have Fibro...But she was one of the worst cooks on earth... One year she did a turkey for Thanksgiving. She left the giblets,neck, heart all in the package, in the turkey and cooked it. I guess she didn't know that you had to actually clean the bird and empty the cavities before cooking.

Another holiday she cooked a small ham, still in the plastic....OH GOD!!!!!

One other time she invited us(when I was married) to stay and have dinner. I asked what was she planning on serving??? She said Hot dogs and beans. I figured ok...But when I saw that her plan was to feed 8 of us on 1 package of hot dogs and 2 cans of beans. I went to the store and bought steaks......

She tried, she just didn't make it....

Don't be so hard on yourself.
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

If it were me I would have just took out the paper and hoped no one saw me or the paper (-: !! BTW, now that I think about it I might have done that many years ago when I was in a hurry.

Actually, I just don't think it would be dangerous unless perhaps there were writing on the paper. Then poerhapos the ink could cause problems. Yes sweetie, try not to worry so. I am sure it was fine !

Hugs and blessings,

6. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Many years ago a neighbor took a lemon pie to my grandma. She hadn't taken the waxed paper off iof her crust before she put in the3 filling. NHow feel better???

And---I don't even put the stuffing in the tur key8 anyway ---just bake in oven and add some chicken brother. Good!

Keep cookingt and making dumb mistakes is not confined to just us fibros!!!! most cooks, male and female, have some gtale to tell.

7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Well, hubby and son ate large helpings of the roast and veggies and are fine. I did manage to get the paper out of the pan so if I hadn't said anything all would have been ok.

So, if this happens to anyone else remember this post and remove the paper and enjoy.

Oh, the turkey, leaving the package in and cooking it, I did that before fibro so guess I need to learn to cook. By the way the turkey was eaten and no one got sick.

Thanks and God Bless,
  8. springwater

springwater Active Member

Lol! This entire thread made me laugh!

tleaw - crusty decoration...hahahaha!

when we were kids, i and my siblings were fighting over making the tea and my younger brother got to do the filling the kettle and all...after we were all sat down and my elder brother took a sip he almost brother had gone and put some white ajinomoto (msg) which looks like sugar and put dollops in thinking it was sugar....ugh!

God Bless
  9. sorry but it made me chuckle also, isn't this fibro fog wonderful! NOT! I would have ripped it off and not told anyone also! LOL!

I don't know why they put that on there anyways!
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

but it reminds me of an old joke...

It was supposedly a prank played on the youngest and inexperienced sister who was cooking turkey the first time for Thanksgiving for the whole family.

Once she got it into the oven, the other 2 (older) sisters found an excuse to get her out of the kitchen... and then sneaked a cornish hen into the cavity and lightly repacked some of the stuffing.

Then when the turkey was sliced, they exclaimed, 'Oh NO you cooked a pregnant turkey!' ...............

Actually I wouldn't doubt somebody, SOMEwhere, did this to a sibling...
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You ought to see how much smoke the plastic on a Papa Murphy's pizza makes! Oh, yes, I did!

Grilled cheese for dinner!

We should all get together and cook! But we better do it at the local fire station!

PS - Forgot to mention the trouble DH had cleaning the oven. I don't do oven cleaning and would simply have stopped using it until we either moved (not happening) or he bought me a new one![This Message was Edited on 09/02/2008]
  12. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I made some cookies using baking soda instead of baking powder, but was able to blame it youthful inexperience. Not sure what I could blame it on now:)Cheers:)
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Do you know how many times I forget to take the cardboard off the bottom of frozen pizzas before I bake them?? It's embarrassing (and a big joke in the family) "yes we'd love frozen pizza Mom, but hold the cardboard"