Cooking boiled eggs advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jkennedy, Sep 22, 2016.

1. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Eek!!!! We are having 17 in-laws over Sat. for a meal. I want to serve deviled eggs as one of the appetizers and need advice. There's all kinds of conflicting advice on the internet.

How do you guys do eggs so that they peel easily and the shells don't stick to the whites? I know the main thing is to have older eggs, but I didn't think of this in time, so my eggs are pretty new. Here are my questions:

- start them in cold water or hot?

- do you put vinegar, salt, or baking soda in water?

- do you chill the eggs until they are completely cold before shelling?

Thanks! I'm trying not to panic.

2. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I make a ton of them almost daily for work....There are several things you can do...

I just put cold tap water, then boil for 'however' long, then when they are done, I put them in the sink, and dump a bunch of ice on top, wait a few minutes then peel. And the way I peel them is to lay it lengthwise, roll it under your palm until it kind of cracks the whole way around, then if you do it right, the shell comes off in 2 halves. I know Imma not describing it very well, but maybe do a YouTube search for peeling eggs, and you will see what I mean. I've also been known to drop a chunk of lemon into the water before boiling, but not sure if that works as good as they say it does.

Good luck!! >^.^<
  3. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

paulac7 likes this.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

I don't cook anymore. With my Alzy brain can't remember when I've got
    stuff on the stove or in the oven. But I used to cook and made deviled eggs
    a few times.

I followed the advice of some authority (Julia Child? Joy of Cooking?) about
    chilling the eggs after they were boiled. Didn't help a bit. Still hard to peel.

But a gal at the office who always brought deviled eggs to office parties
    gave me some advice. Add some dill pickle brine to the filling.

Good luck, J.

Bon Appetit
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Paula's advice is good. This is how I do the eggs and the shells basically loosen and fall off the eggs. I put them in a lot of really cold ice water before 'massaging' the shells off of them. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. Maithyl16

Maithyl16 Member

I basically use cold tap water then keep them on the gas until the water is totally boiled.Then I put the eggs in the boiled water with small amount of salt.After 3-4 minutes turn off the gas and exchange the water with cold water.Then inside the cold water peel off the eggs and the shells don't stick at all.It is so easy!
  7. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

My eggs turned out great! I used a different approach from how I've always done them.

1. I brought the water to a rolling boil and added some salt.

2. I then added the eggs cold from the fridge.

3. I lowered the water to a simmer and cooked them about 12 minutes. I stayed close by so I could keep them at a good simmer, but not boiling.

4. When the timer went off, I put them in an ice bath and kept them there for 1/2 hour. I added ice as needed.

5. To peel the eggs, I first cracked them gently all around and on the ends by dropping them from an inch or two onto the counter. Then I rolled them gently between my hands.

6. I peeled them under cold running water, starting from the end that has the air pocket.

I had always started them in cold water, but I've always had some eggs with shells that stuck, making those eggs look bad. So I did research and found the method I described above.

It really seems important to age your eggs first before cooking them. I had only aged my eggs at home in my fridge a week. The next time I'll age them 2 weeks.

Thanks, everybody!