Cooking meals when you have FM/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juliel85, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Juliel85

Juliel85 New Member

How do you guys do it? I'm always so tired and achy that after a full day of work, its nearly impossible to cook a decent meal :(
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I make anything that's fast and only takes one pan or one pot.

Steakums are fast, only one pan.

Pasta is one pot.

Burger helper, one pan.

When I can't cook, it's a frozen entrees or a can of spaghetti or chili.

Basically, anything fast and easy.
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I use a slow cooker. Put the meat or veggies or a combination in before you go to work and it's ready when you return. You can put the ingredients together the night before. GB66
  4. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Some things that have helped me:

When I do feel like cooking, I cook in copious amounts and freeze a bunch of it in meal-size containers. That way, dinner is just a defrost away on bad days.

When I chop onions, garlic, tomatoes, etc., I chop a bunch and put them in baggies in the fridge so next time I don't have to chop.

LOVE my crockpot. LOVE it.

I got an office chair with wheels to push myself around in the kitchen.

I do a lot of skillet meals - one pan, put in ground beef, previously chopped veggies, whatever spices you want. Throw in a tortilla and serve in a paper towel. No dishes, no silverware.

5. loto

loto Member

Most of the time I don't cook, and I feel so bad for being a terrible wife and mother. I know we don't eat healthy, because most of the time we eat take-out or processed frozen crap someone will just heat up.
    I wish so much I could afford someone to come in daily, or at least a couple of times a week to cook healthy meals for us.
    You're not alone. And then it makes me feel worse because I feel like they think I'm just being lazy, and that's not the case at all! I'm like you, I am so tired and in pain, and just can't get any kind of energy to cook and then have to clean up the mess.

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I think anyone who has one of our DDs is amazing if she can work.
    Nobody, including you, should expect that you also cook on days when
    you haven't got the umph.

Yes, cooking a big batch when you have the energy to cook is a good
    idea. Don't know about freezing it though. It is my understanding that
    92.3 of all freezers in the country are already full. (The rest belong
    bachelors who believe the only purpose of a refrigerator is to store beer.)

Somedays I don't have the energy to make a sandwich. I just open a
    can of vegetables and heat 'em up. Last night I had more pep and
    experimented w/ potato-leek soup. It was kinda bland so I added
    some chicken my partner had roasted earlier.

I also saved energy by not following the recipe exactly. It called for more
    leeks (I only had one) and spices (who has nutmeg?) and running it
    through the blended (too much trouble to wash). Was good anyway.

7. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I just don't cook much. If I'm lucky, I manage to cook once or twice a week. The rest of the time I eat quick things like scrambled eggs, sandwiches, frozen pizza, a can of soup. That's pitiful, I know. I believe if I ate good homecooked meals I would be much healthier. As it is, I'm getting heavier each year and I'm more disabled than ever.

I hope you figure out a way to work and cook. Take care of yourself.

8. denis321

denis321 New Member

was one of my hobbies.

Now I try to focus on eating healthy, fresh, and simple. I'm lucky in that I don't have to cook for anyone else. Redefine what "cooking" means - it doesn't need to be from scratch. I also can't cook everyday - it's simply too tiring. It is a constant challenge.

Breakfast is easy. I like to make a big pot of quick-cooking oatmeal with fruit/ nuts. The pot lasts for a few days. In the morning, I just scoop out the amount I need into a bowl, microwave it, and add milk. If I have eggs, I hard-boil a couple at a time so I can use it over the next week.

I also sometimes steam enough veggies to last for a few days. And I usually have bags of frozen veggies on hand. Carrots, cherry tomatoes, and celery are veggies you can eat without having to cook at all. Sandwiches are easy too.

You can also dress up ramen noodles - there are now non-fried ramen noodles that are healthier. Add frozen veggies, leftover meats (or even sliced turkey, ham, etc.) and you have a full noodle soup meal. Use chicken broth instead of water.

For those times when I can't do anything at all, I am lucky to have family shop at Costco and Trader Joe's for me. They help me stockpile ready-made meals that I just have to heat up. I always have some on hand because as you all know we never know when an exacerbation strikes.

[This Message was Edited on 12/14/2009]
  9. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I am retired now but have a suggestion. Gather/prep your meal before you sit down. Once you sit it is truly hard to get motivated to get back up.

Tonight I had a small pork tenderloin (come vacuum packed and from Aldi's are great price). I line a 8x8 baking pan with foil (thinking ahead to less clean up) and crunch up an extra piece of foil. Lay the meat on it and any grease will fall below. Use seasoning you like, throw in a couple onions. At the same time meat goes in the oven also put baked potatoes.

Tonight I had fresh spaghetti squash, halve, remove seeds, put cut side down in casserole or baking pan, put in half an inch of water. When ready use pot holder in one hand and fork in the other to scrape out the squash, sprinkle with parmesan and butter.

So the meat, potato and veg all cooked at the same time, had ceasar salad kit from Aldi's also. All the mixin's in one bag.

This was a great meal for two of us , smelled good and easy clean up.

another idea is one of the many chicken and rice dishes that can cook in oven for 45 minutes or so.

These things smell good and family members love that.