Coolma: What foot supports hav helped foot pain in Fibro? Details

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rachel76, May 28, 2007.

  1. rachel76

    rachel76 New Member

    My fibromyalgia extends to pain in the soles of the feet. I have gone to orthopedic shops and had a insole made out of plaster. These have only partially worked and been suprisingly variable in effectiveness.

    The main question is that I saw a member here called "coolma" talk about some shoe inserts from "FOOT SCIENCE" That helped her. If you are reading this Coolma, please post some more details because I am interested in this and I do not know how to contact you privately off the board. (I don't know if that is possible.)

    I have gone to an expert in foot problems. He did an x-ray and found inflammation and said this was common with Fibro and nothing could be done except wear a shoe insert and soak feet in salt water.
    Doctors since then still think CFS+Fibro is treatable with excercise and ask me why don't I go walking and swimming. They don't understand.
    I think I have Plantar facatis. (spelling?)

    Please Coolma if you are reading please tell me more about the "FOOT SCIENCE" Insoles you are using.

    Also, ANYONE who has had experience dealing with foot pain like this, please feel free to contribute to this thread. I am certain this is quite common in the more severe Fibro cases.
    What has helped you?

    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 05/28/2007</i>]
  2. coolma

    coolma New Member

    Coolma, that's me. Glad to help.

    Orthotics raise the arch of the foot and when you stretch that ligament it eases the foot pain. HOWEVER...

    Orthotics are hard and when your feet are already sore from the FM pain (which most podiatrists don't either care or realize) you can barely wear them.

    I found soft inserts with a raised insert which goes at variable levels. You start out with the lowest insert (on the underside of the insert) and raise it to the next one every week. THEY WORK. They are called Foot Science Inserts.

    I had plantar fasiatis (sp.?) and had cortosone shots in my heels (ouch) but didn't heal it. These foot science inserts are the best. I wear them along with a gel heel pad and do not walk without them, even in my house slippers. I just switch them around as I switch shoes.

    I found the only thing to numb the horrible foot pain was pain meds, plus a cold pak under a light towel, an intermittent foot bath with epsom salts too. But really, you have to watch and protect the bottoms of your feet and heels forever.

    FOOT SCIENCE shoe inserts are what they are called. I purchased mine from a local pharmacy supply store which stocked them. If you can't find them, phone around and see who stocks them (drug store supply outlet stores are good too). And, of course, the internet.

    Good luck. Contact me any time on this board and I will reply. Let me know how it goes! You cannot do alot of walking on inflammed feet.
  3. rachel76

    rachel76 New Member

    Thank you so much Coolma!
    That was so quick. It was interesting what you said about cold paks numbing the pain as I found the oposite helps me, hot water with normal, cheap kitchen salt in it.
    Also a hot microwave heated buckwheet pillow under my feet.
    I'll have a go with epsom salts at some time.

    I am going to try and investigate the FOOT SCIENCE shoe inserts. Is there a specific name for the insoles other than just "foot science"?
  4. coolma

    coolma New Member

    I live in Canada and purchased them through Shoppers Drug Mart stores here. We also had PhamaPlus which supplied them. Don't know who supplies them now, but I'll bet they have a web site. If you can't find them where you live, let me know. I'll do some research up here in Ontario.
    Contact me anytime on this site. I check daily.
  5. rachel76

    rachel76 New Member

    I keep seeing the word "Formthotics" associated with "Foot Science" on google search. Is that what you have?
  6. rachel76

    rachel76 New Member

    I just saw your reply after typing my last reply. I will look into it. Thank you
  7. SusanEU

    SusanEU New Member

    I am also in Ontario and use the WAlk Fit orthotics from the shopping channel. I think they are along the same lines as the foot science ones.

    You can order them from their website in US and Canada.

    You have to start gradual and work your way up.

    Sue in Ontario
  8. maryl

    maryl New Member

    In addition to the foot inserts, I use an NSAIDS cream. It's like aspercreme but an Rx. It's called ketoprofen cream. It's a compound the pharmacist has to make up for you. Probably in a medical supply pharmacy. You'll have to call around to find it. If you don't get the Rx, ask the pharmacist at your drug store about what else is available besides aspercreme. They really help.
  9. rachel76

    rachel76 New Member

    Thank you for NSAIDS and Walk fit orthotics suggestions.

    I now have a plan of action and am posting it here in case it helps anyone:
    I have ordered "spenco arch support cushions.
    When I feel better I plan to go to another orthepedic shop. They do a mold of your food in plaster and from that make a insole out of silican that you put in every shoe. It looks like it might be softer than my last ones.

    I will reserch the NSAIDS and Walk fit orthopedic suggestions. I don't live in Canada or the US and didn't seem to find FOOT SCIENCE after my last few Google searches but I'll try again.
  10. coolma

    coolma New Member

    They are called Foot Science Inserts, and are sold through, some pharmacies, but we get them in Canada from a shoe store called &quot;Tender Tootsies&quot;. You can probably find it on the internet. Yes, they do cushion the foot bottom, raise the arch and take the pressure off the heel, plus keep you from distending when you walk (falling over on your arch) which they now know, causes Plantar Fasiatis. I hope this helps and that you check your listings on this site. It's been awhle since I was here...felt so great in the summer months, but lousy in the winter! Best wishes. Coolma
  11. coolma

    coolma New Member

    Barefoot Science insoles exactly. I don't remember if I replied to this post before...I am trying to get the word out. Sorry for delay. They are on internet, available through Pro Therapy, or in some pharmacies, and shoe store chain &quot;Tender Tootsies&quot; in Canada. These are DIFFERENT from all the orthotics on the market today. These have special inserts that raise the arch of your foot. It takes the pressure off the heel, and helps stop distention of the foot, which causes alot of pain (running over on the side of your foot when you walk). These are not orthotics. They work on a different science. BAREFOOT SCIENCE INSOLES.
    &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;[&lt;i&gt;This Message was Edited on 11/22/2010&lt;/i&gt;]
    <br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 11/23/2010</i>]

[ advertisement ]