COPD and flat Diaphragm

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by madisond, Mar 22, 2007.

1. madisond

madisond New Member

Hi,

I was diagnosed with COPD October 30, 2002. My doctor never said that my lungs were clear but the reason I was diagnosed with COPD was because my Diaphragm is flat. I just found this out when I was sent to a pulmonary doctor, she told me that’s why my doctor said I have COPD even with clear lungs and a good breathing test. I was sent for a CT of my lungs and blood testing for allergies and Immune diseases. I have a doctor’s appointment next Thursday and that’s when I find out the result of my entire testing. I just wanted to know if anyone else has been told that there Diaphragm is flat and that’s why they have breathing problems.

Thanks in advance for all your help
    Debra in Bayside NY
  2. jesfms

jesfms New Member

never heard of flat diaphragm...please keep infor posted
  3. madisond

madisond New Member

Hi,

I will keep the board posted to the results of my test. I’ve checked the internet and found a lot of different diseases that are common with a flat diaphragm, but I don't want to say that I have any of these diseases that say are cause by a flat diaphragm until I hear from my doctor. I had to stop surfing because I was getting a little scared by what I was reading.

I will let everyone know what my doctor tells me next week.
    Debra in Bayside New York
  4. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

You can see a flat diaphragm with COPD but also with other causes.

The main risk factor for COPD is tobacco exposure...more firsthand although there is also a slight increase in risk with secondhand exposure for people who are around heavy smokers a lot. There are rare genetic causes of COPD but people with this often present as children with more than lung disease. Also rare occupational exposures.

There are other reasons you could have problems breathing and seeing the lung doctor/ getting the CT seems to be appropriate steps.

Sometimes, heart problems can also present as breathing problems so you may want to talk about this with your doc if not discussed yet.