Coping with Deeply Hurtful Words

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Elisa, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Elisa

Elisa Member

It is so hard to cope with deeply hurtful words.

I am in need of advice from others on how they protect themselves, their hearts and spirits from verbal abuse and destructive words from a close family member.

My life and my sisters has been severely altered from the beliefs bestowed upon us by family member. The "nobody will ever love or care for you" or the "friends won't like you" type comments.

I am old enough to recognize untruths and draw strength from the Lord, my Father and light.

Looking for ideas - on how to deflect such hurtful words...after all, we all just want to be to love and be loved.

Elisabeth

2. Elisa

Elisa Member

Your words so moved me - to tears. They are so powerful and caring.

You really are one of God's work of art - He is working in you to help others - He may feel far away but I can hear and see His voice in you. Please take comfort in that.

I am graetful for your words and will revisit proverbs - as it has given me great peace in the past.

I, too, felt our Father's distance for almost 2 years. It must be a test of your faith - He has good reason to do as He does - even though its so hard to understand here on earth.

"The Lord is close to the broken hearted and comforts those whose spirit is crushed."

He really does and will for you too. After all, He sent you to answer my message.

Thanks so much for your kind and comforting words,

Elisabeth
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2007]
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

One of my rules is,
    "If you don't respect the person, don't respect their opinion".

I come from a VERY dysfunctional family.

I'm suggesting you take a class on self assertiveness. Sounds as if your self esteem could use a major boost.

Have you ever considered responding by saying something like, "Well, we both know where I got that trait from."

Then walk away.
  4. maryl

maryl New Member

We are standing in the gap for YOU. Don't listen to satan's lies. Greater is He who is in you, than he who is in the world. The Lord will cover you both. He loves you, you are not alone. Remember the footsteps in the sand? He will carry you when you need Him. Don't even allow those hurtful thoughts to be heard. You are in my prayers.
    God bless you.