Coping with Diagnosis; something that works

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by clue555, Mar 3, 2009.

1. clue555

clue555 New Member

My Grandfather was diagnosed with Alz. and I am very close with both my grandpa and my grandma. One thing I didn't realize is that not only does a major disease like this or any other major change to someone's health affect them physically, but it also is a HUGE strain on the individual AND their families emotionally. Of course my grandpa doesn't see a pyschologist and my grandma doesn't want to either, but I did find this one program that worked really well. My friend works for this company that works with people on how to deal with change. I asked her about changes to health and how she advises people (trying to get some free advice :)). WELL, she gave me a free copy of this workbook and book. It is cute. The whole thing comes with like a DVD, a book about a guy who had a hard time with paralysis, and a workbook plus some other interesting things. I visited my grandma and we worked through this workbook, and it was AMAZING! It really works. I let my grandma keep it because it really helps her deal with my grandpas diagnosis. It gives "5 Action Steps" that help her (and me) deal with what is going on. It kinda feels like help in a box and the funny thing is it MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!!!! I wish more people could use this. I think you can find it on the web, google search?. It is worth taking a look at. It is called "Take Control of Your Recovery" and the book is called "When IT Happens To Your Health." Maybe it will work for you, even if you're not the one in physical pain.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The title "Take Control of Your Recovery" is a bit misleading when dealing with Alzheimer's patients and they NEVER recover and only get worse. Instead of a workbook, it is better to get involved with caretaker groups that can help you get you in touch with all the resources available that you can use now and in the future (including social workers to arrange for someone to come in RIGHT NOW and give the family caretakers a break, signs and symptoms of how the disease progresses and what you might expect from the loved one, when to begin considering a nursing home, paying for a nursing home, how to search for a nursing home and the ultra important questions to ask of nursing homes when interviewing them), plus get views of caretaking of a loved one right from those who are in the trenches.