coq10 either this is placebo affect but I have more energy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, May 14, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

It might be just a good week but I am only taking 30mg, I get it from To your health only. Where i get my malic acid which I have taken from day one.
    So something is going on and I am not as swollen. What's up what does this stuff do? Do I have heart trouble or something?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

is also one of the things involved in making the mitochondria work (produce energy at the cellular level)....I agree, though, that 30 mg is an extremely low dose

JEANSKI New Member

It was the first thing my Chiro asked me when I saw her and see heard I had FM. If I took co Q10. She takes it herself at 200mg a day and swears by it for energy. She kayaks and does races and stuff. I said I had taken so many supps and only Magnesium seemed to do what it was said to do. So i am leary of taking it. But I think I am gonna give it a shot. I could use some energy to help me get out walking.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Interesting, I just started taking CoQ10 again after a year of being off of it.

When I was taking it before, I did not notice a difference in energy and also when I started it last week, no noticeable energy. That does not mean you should not take it as my doctor recommends it.

Meds./supplements are not likely to give you instantaneous results. How often have we seen posts where people take something and feel better within 30 minutes. That is not how medicine works unless you are talking about something like pain medication.

I am not saying that you have not had a burst of energy. But our DD is cyclical with its ups and downs. This makes it so hard to sort out what is causing what. It may not be the placebo effect but could be that you would have been feeling better with or without the CQ10.

Are other things going on? On sunny days I certainly have more energy. Other factors like sleep also effect my energy level.

So who knows but enjoy the increased energy.

[This Message was Edited on 05/15/2009]
  5. Jayna

Jayna New Member

When I took it last year, I was eating very VERY low fat because my liver doctor said I needed to. And I felt no change from the CoQ10. (or in my liver)

I started taking olive oil with meals a few months ago when I realized that good fats were essential to a whole bunch of cellular and other healthy operations in the body. And when I found my CoQ10 a couple of months later and added that back in, the effect was much more noticeable.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

that many of the supplements work together with other ones....just taking one may not make a difference if you are also low in one (or more others).....for instance, the mitochondria need CoQ10, magnesium, acetyl l carnitine (vegetarians cannot get this w/o supplementing), D-Ribose, and a few other things in order to work supplementing with any single one of these may or may not make a difference, depending on how much of the other things you have....and for the whole mitochondria energy producing process to take place, it takes something like 3 days (depending on the person), so results will not necessarily be quick

none of this is to say that someone might not feel results more quickly - that is also very possible - it just really depends on each person's individual make up- I am just saying this to reiterate what someone else mentioned - results can be more slow than we'd like, but that doesn't mean that something isn't working
  7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

The only way I can think of to see if this is working for you is to stop taking it for 3 - 7 days and then restart it. If you get your symptoms back and this amount of CoQ10 eliminates them again , then you'll know it works for you ... we don't all need large doses of CoQ10. Everyone's body is different and what one needs may not be what someone else needs. IMHO, That's just hype to sell more expensive CoQ10 ... The supplement industry is a business ... Personally, I never felt better or worse on dosages of 30 or 200 mg a day of CoQ10 so I wasn't taking it regulary and still my labs from Sept show it's at a good level.

I've had this happen to me several times now. Within 30 minutes to salt loading for the first time, I felt great. Of course my BP was low so it made sense. And this still works if my BP is low ...

But it's also happened to me twice now as a result of taking Resvinatrol (An antioxidant). It only happens when I've gone a few days without it though ...

Personally, I think if our bodies need something, taking exactly what it need will result in a quick remedy. Just think of all those substances we know work quickly ... coffee, sugar, pain meds, etc ... heck, even laughter can change our energy levels ... Marcia

Just wanted to add that I'm one of those who is super sensitive to meds and foods though. I'm guessing that now that my diet is clean and I'm off all meds, my body will process foods, meds and supps more effectively too. KOW [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2009]