Corian, Quartz, or Granite for new countertops?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TXPeach, Jun 11, 2008.

1. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Just wondering if any of you have recently updated your kitchen countertops? I am in the process but cannot figure out which to get.

I have been told conflicting things by different salesmen. Some say the quartz and granite scratch easily and others say just the opposite.

Also, is Corian outdated? I had thought about choosing it, but one salesman told me I would be behind the times if I chose Corian, that it is already out of date if I am "updating" my kitchen.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with these surfaces?
    Thanks for your help.

God bless,
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Does scratch some, but it's actually pretty strong. I guess it would depend on how much use/abuse they get. It's also the latest and greatest for the resale value of your home, should you choose to sell sometime in the future.
  3. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Well, it's just me and my hubby. Kids are grown and out of the house so I don't think it will be taking much abuse.

Thanks for your reply, stick.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/11/2008]
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend granite for the kitchen. I had granite put in my kitchen in 1996 and it still looks brand new. It's black/green with veins of color--I think its called Ubba Tuba. It hasn't scratched much at all and it gets used alot. I have corian with molded sinks in my baths and THAT scratches much more than granite. If you decide to go with corian, make sure it's speckled so it will camouflage the scratches.

Anyway, granite gets my vote for the kitchen!! And the previous poster was correct, it's the buyer's first choice on a resale.

5. Toga

Toga Member

in the kitchen and bathroom. We've been in this house for 2 1/2 years. I don't notice any scratches. In fact I don't notice anything on it. Sometimes I put my hand on it and can tell its time to do a good cleaning. Nothing shows.

I do have a question for those of you who do have granite. How often do you reseal it? I was told every 6 months. We haven't resealed yet. Can't convince my husband that we should do this. It still looks good but I'm a "rule follower" and think we should do it.

If you have resealed, what brand did you use that seemed the best?

Regarding Corian. We almost got that years ago in another house. A friend did and it scratched a lot. But I've been told that you can sand or buff it and get rid of scratches. It supposed to be the same substance all the way through.

Good luck on whatever you choose. There's nothhing like a new kitchen, til it gets dirty;-)

6. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I have never heard of sealing Granite. It's a high polished stone, so why would it need sealing????

I just looked it up and apparently not ALL Granite needs to be sealed. Some do and you need to do it every 6 months, with 2 applications a couple hours apart. What a pain in the neck!!!!!![This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My granite counter top is twelve years old, looks brand new, and we never had it resealed even though it was recommended. We are pretty good at maintaining stuff but we never saw the need to do it as we cleaned it daily and are not particularly rough on it.

8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have Corian that is black w white/grey speckles in my kitchen. It's 18 yrs old and still looks great altho it could use a fresh buff job to get rid of dull/scratched areas.

If I could do it now, I'd do Granite for sure. I think it's just beautiful and I don't know why we didn't do that to begin with really. I guess when we built our house it wasn't the "in" thing to use.

I have no idea what the price differences are between these materials these days, but I know there are zillions of choices out there. Have fun choosing! We're doing an addition now and I'll put granite or some natural stone in the new bathroom for sure.
  9. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I was considering Corian for the simple fact that it is less money, but if it scratches easily I had rather spend the extra money and have something much nicer.

I have been thinking about granite, but from what I have learned, you have to actually go and pick out the slab that you want. Is that correct? I have heard that there is a great deal of variation in granite and that you cannot rely on the sample pieces they have in the stores.

I'm still wondering if anyone has quartz countertops, i.e. silestone. The salesman was really pushing it. I just don't know...would be interested in hearing if anyone has it.

As of now, though, I am thinking granite. Thanks again to everyone who replied. I appreciate your input!

God bless,
  10. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My friend who had quartz put in to her brand new kitchen in a brand new house had many problems with it scratching, and it really looked dull and crappy after a year. It was like a glossy burgundy color, and it showed everything from scuffs to dishmarks. It was really a shame because it was also on the center island which was the focal point of the kitchen. She was always having someone in to buff it and finally gave up and replaced it with granite. I remember the contractor was really pushing this quartz stuff as well.

As far as the slabs go, yes you do have to go to the pit and pick your piece out. It was no big deal though and I really found it kind of interesting. I was very choosy about the granite at the time because I wanted to make sure I was getting one big piece, not two different ones. My kitchen counter is large and L-shaped and the stainless steel sink is caddy cornered at the turn. The granite people and the installer did such a great job; there's actually a seam at the apex of the turn and the seam runs through the back of the sink and the little piece in front of the sink. They epoxied it so seamlessly that you can't even tell. I am really glad I went to the pit though because there is a variation. If you go and tag your own slab, you won't be disappointed when it's installed; you'll know exactly what you're getting.

[This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]
  11. ckball

ckball New Member

I just went threw this last year and ended up with granite 12 x 12's. I could not afford the slab and installing it is half the price.

So I did the 12 x 12's myself. I LOVE it. It is a polished black/rust/slate/blue/silver metallic color. Doesn't show anything either unless the sun hits it just right once in a while.

Good luck with your choice and you do only get what you see if you pick your slab out. If you order from a sample it won't be guarnteed a exact match, as it is a natural material- Carla
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have granite and love it. The upkeep is simple, I just use a spray cleaner that is supposed to keep it sealed. I heard from a real estate agent that granite was out of date now, it is quartz that is in.

13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

revealed to us that granite countertops are raising radon levels in homes. Just a thought.

If you drop a glass or plate on it, it will smash. It is very expensive. It is getting boring now everyone is rushing to join the crowd. However, you can now get countertops of thin granite that go over your original countertop, that are cheaper and presumably have less radon.

Corian have countertops that look very nice, they are not at all outdated. Go and check out their new ranges and edges. Sile stone is good looking and sells homes well too. Concrete is also an "in" thing and I have heard that wood is now the "in" thing!

If you are planning on resale the wham granite once had is fading somewhat.

It is up to you. Personally I think they look like graveyards. And yes they DO need sealing.

So just get what YOU like-I personally like formica-it is cheap, cleans well and has lots of colors.

We redid our tops on a budget by using travertine 12 ins. tile (they crush the stone and then reform it) as I got the lot for $27. It was hard to cut, but I only had to make about 6 cuts on three long counters. I got job lots for my backsplashes for about $24. My kitchen looks rather nice now we just redid the cabinets by stripping and repainting.

Good luck, Annie
  14. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Thanks again to the rest of you who replied. I just want to make the right choice as this is something I will be looking at for a long time.

I have had formica countertops for 25 years so anything will be an improvement!

I still haven't made up my mind which surface I want, but thank you all for your input once again!

God bless,
  15. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

But, why care about "trendy" anyhow?? Why do people have to be such sheep? ;-) I say go with what you LIKE! Some Formica looks great. Corian looks great. there are other composites that look great. They don't have to be unsustainably mined just to follow some upscale trend.
    Annies comment on granite and glass dishes is right on the mark. Anything dropped or even set down too hard will break. My aunts good china is basically gone in the year she's lived in her house lol! Also her coffee mugs and glasses. She's a bit clumsy and has grandkids visit too.

16. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Funny how you mention that. My hubby and I were talking about the exact same thing last night. If I choose Corian because I LIKE it, then who cares if I'm not trendy?!!!

As hubby and I were discussing last night, we are not planning on moving. We have lived in the same house for 25 years, and we have no plans of leaving. Besides, my elderly parents live here, and there is no way I would leave them even if I wanted to!

Sooo, I still have not made up my mind. My sister is going through the same thing so I may wait and see what she gets and then either copy her or decide I don't like what she has! LOL

Thanks again for all your comments! :O)

God bless,
  17. Toga

Toga Member

Go with what "grabs" you. You'll know it when you see it.

We got granite because that's what my husband was convinced we needed. It was ok with me.

But he wanted a stainless steel sink, frig, dishwasher etc.
    I said "No" to that because I don't like the fingerprints.
    So we have a taupe ceramic sink, wood covered appliances. I know stainless is "in" but I didn't want it. Even though I think it is lovely for those who like to clean a lot.

So we each have to give a little some of the time and stand firm when its real important when it comes to remodeling.

18. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Also consider looking at the NEW solid color corian-it is drop down lovely to look at.

Silestone is also very nice but soooooooooooooo expensive.

I am like foggy, I don't go with the trend just because!

What made me mad recently was that H and G started this "green" program. Now this is after years of watching people take sledgehammers to perfectly decent kitchen cabinets and sinks etc and put them in the trash, that could have been donated to people who like to recycle or just that they would be better than what they had (often nothing!)

We who DO remodel, know that the way to take out cabinets is to unscrew the screws that hold them to the wall plates.

I laugh when I see people on house hunters walk into a kitchen that looks exactly like one we just redid and say "Well the kitchen needs redoing!"

My fave kitchens are the ones we had at the farm in Cornwall. We had NO countertops or cabinets.

We had a huge walk in pantry where what we needed was nicely displayed on shelves. We had a big scrubbed kitchen table, and an Aga cooker (these have now become trendy) that not only heated the food but the hot water and radiators for the house and was multi fuel-ran on wood or oil) above which we had shelves for the plates etc. Two bvig old shabby easy chairs by the cooker, and boxes for the early lambs to snuggle into.

The big stone sink had a big wooden board area to one side and shelves and a curtain under and the other side we had a stainless steel cabinet on wheels where we prepped the goats milk etc.

love Annie
  19. Toga

Toga Member

What a great place to snuggle in one of those chairs and take in the warmth, smells, and conversations that were in the air in that kind of kitchen.

Makes me homesick for grandma's house.

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]
  20. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

We remodeled our kitchen last fall. The kitchen hadn't been done since the house was restored back in 1960. The only thing the kitchen HAD seen was a fresh coat of pain and new lanolium flooring.

First off I will say that even though cubbards look nicer than ones made in 1960 they are not as durable. They use small scews..too small.

As for the counter top we chose platnum blue granit. I love it! I will admit things break much easier when they fall on it. We were told to have it sealed once a year to protect it. I haven't noticed any scratching on it as of yet. Here is a kicker....our laundry room and kitchen are one with a peninsula dividing the room. The laundry room part has a sink too where my husband washes his hands when coming in from working on the farm. The soft soap has darkened some of the color in the stone around the sink in spots...that or the Boraxo hand cleaner.

I DO love my kitchens new look. I didn't like the 60's retro look.

I have a spring theme. My girlfriend stenciled daisies, Johnny jump-ups, butterflies and ivy along the trim of the wall. I have lanolium that looks like gray bricks with every so often one square one with a daisy in it.

We went over budget remodeling so do what you think is best for you.