corn casserole

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by niece, Dec 16, 2010.

1. niece

niece New Member

Sharing this with y'all for Christmas...
    It's really easy to make and so very good......
    and you could double it for a Christmas dish

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
    1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
    1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar
    1 egg
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, egg and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.

edit to note.....can be cooked with or without the egg.[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2010]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. When I was a kid in the Mid-West, more than half a
    century ago, we used the term hot dish. Folks back there probably
    still do.

I also remember when a package of Jiffy corn mix cost ten cents.

3. niece

niece New Member

The jiffy corn mix was $3.38
    I had never used it until this recipe
    We call them a cover dish here SOL

Hope you're about to get settled in
    moving is sooooooo hard.

4. niece

niece New Member

Are you allergic to corn?
    I have problems with wheat and whey. And you know it's in just about everything now.
    hubby don't need corn because of diverticulitis
    so cooking this is rare around here.

Hope that you're doing good on the hip and getting better everyday

5. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I make this recipe on Thanksgiving. I"ve never added cheese,however I always put in a can of diced green chilies for a little kick!~~Jeanne
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have purchased these Jiffy packages alot..and fairly recently, and I've paid about 3 for $1. I could not imagine paying anywhere near $3.38 for one pkg!!

7. niece

niece New Member

We have never bought this.....Yeah it was a blue and white box I've seen in stores for years but I always bought the 5lb of corn meal.
    Hubby does all the shopping but I look over the receipt
    and I'm sure I saw 3.38 But that is a BIG difference from 10 cents LOL
    But we had some of this at thanksgiving and it was so good
    that I just had to have the recipe I wanted to make it for our Christmas supper, So I thought I better give it a try and it was so good BUT a little different than what we had earlier so don't know what I did different maybe I used the egg and the other didn't have egg.....
    Will try it without the egg for Christmas supper.

So glad the hip is coming along. What do you think is going on with the arms and shoulder.
    I do understand forever pain.
    I've had a new pain that has started this past summer
    right hip and groin pain YIKES the heating pads have really been in use around my house.
    We have just got over a arctic blast that has our temperatures
    in the single digits and wind chills zero Whewwww glad that's over for now.
  8. niece

niece New Member

corn pudding ? Is the recipe just like this one? except for the cheese?
    Hubby said he thought that mexican corn would be good in it instead of whole kernel corn...
    Can't do the "kick" stomach would scream at me LOL
    This will be a treat for us we love corn BUT hubby needs to stay away from stuff like this because he has diverticulitis
    he lost 10 inches of his colon in 07 so I'm not even sure I should even cook anymore of it...I cooked some for supper tonight it was good. BUT he has to watch what he eats and I sure hope that this don't cause any trouble (sighs)

9. niece

niece New Member

I sure understand the arm and shoulder pain.
    Sorry that you got injured trying to do something good for yourself (sad) I could not even think about a shoulder replacement (yikes)
    Being online sure makes me hurt worst I don't stay on very long.
    I worked in a warehouse for 19 years driving a forklift and transporter and did lots of damage to arms and neck and shoulder I knew I was in lots of pain everyday but after a nights rest I was OK. I was up and working the next day. Now I'm paying for all that abuse. Guess it's really TRUE that you pay for all the abuse you put your body thru as you get older.
    The body is not so forgiving after all.
    Well lets go lay on the heating pad for a while
    hope that you're feeling better