Corners of Mouth Hurt...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, May 4, 2003.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I saw a post at one time about the corners of one's mouth hurting.....Now I don't know where to find it and the search didn't help this time.

Yesterday my tongue hurt all day for no reason that I know of. Today, the tongue pain is gone but now the corners of my mouth are hurting pretty bad, and show no sign of getting better. Also the sides of my neck have been hurting for the past 2 days. It's not like I slept with my neck in a wierd position. This feels more like glandular or lymph node pain, but of course I can't be sure.

I've been on OLE for several weeks now. Do you think it could it be related?

I'm going to dab on some Neosporin tonight and see if that helps. I feel bad about complaining about something that seems so trivial when there is much bigger pain in the world, but I sure would like this to go away.

Thanks!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/04/2003]
  2. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

I have dry lips all the time and sometimes the corners are on the verge of cracking.

I am forever putting vaseline, cream or lipsalve on, - keeps it at bay, but not a cure.

As regards your neck, I have just replied to Skychomper re- OLE on something similar i`ve experienced this week, have a read and see if may be a better option of OLE.

Love Pat.
  3. Sonnet

Sonnet New Member

Hey Donna,

I have also had a sore tongue the last couple of weeks, and think I have found the reason why - I often will fold my tongue between my front teeth and stay there for ages when watching TV etc, and don't even know I am doing it - and likely that due to our heightened pain receptors, our tongue gets a bit of a work out with hot food or hot cups of tea and coffee, so probably just aggrevating the problem. It may also be due to Temporo-Mandibular Joint problems which may affect your neck, face and tongue (months ago I had constant pain on one side of tongue - just wouldn't go away so put it down to nerves coming from the neck). Look up this stuff as alot has to do with the neck and certain verterbrae.

It's a bugger so hope this helps!! It is funny how so connected our tissues are!

Good luck
    Sonnet
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had this when I first got FMS, probably because the diarreha from my IBS was so bad that I could not absorb enough B vitamins. Deficiency of Vitamin B-2, AKA Riboflavin, will produce painful cracks at the corners of the mouth, and they may even bleed. I have permanent scars from this.
    Treatment is simple. Take digestive enzymes with all meals to increase absorbtion, and take a good B-complex vitamin supplement, with at least 50 mgs. of the basic B's in it. If you have IBS-D, get it under control. This may require, peppermint oil supps., a high protein diet, a fiber supplement and/or removal of extra stressors from your life...it's very individual.
    FMS/CFS people need more B's anyway since we tend to have poor absorbtion and to be under more stress due to our illness. B's are used up very quickly when under stress, and cannot be stored by the body so they must be taken daily.
    A sore tongue can be a sign of Prenicious Anemia (PA)which is a genetic inability to absorb Vit. B12 that shows up in middle age, esp. if the tongue is also glossy and smooth. Your doctor can test you for this.
    With FMS, it is more likely to just be a deficiency of B vitamins in general, but if you are of Celtic ancestry and/or PA runs in your family, get it checked out, since PA must be treated in order to avoid permanent nerve damage.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
  5. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I do have IBS and also TMJ, so looks like there's a few things I can try, thanks to you.

Things are a bit better today, but symptoms are not yet gone.

THANKS AGAIN!
    Donna