Cortef vs compounded cortisol??? Elsa??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by TwinMa, Jan 9, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Is the compounded cortisol better than Cortef (Hydrocortisone) for adrenal insufficiency? Is there a big difference? Does your body use them in different ways?

Are there different side effects?

I've been taking 20 mg Cortef for the past two months, and I feel much much better. I am also taking T3 for thyroid.

Katy
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Cortef is o.k. ... that is what Dr. Teitlebaum uses and at that dose. Compounded cortisol is still hydrocortisone, just not a name brand Cortef.

It is the types like predinisone that you really want to stay away from.

I'm glad you are feeling better. Using cortef in your treatment with T3 is a winning combo in my opinion.

Take care,

Elsa
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Your answer makes me feel better about taking it. I was concerned about the "false sense of well being" that is touted as a "side effect". I'm still not sure what that means, really. I assume it means if I stop, I would be right back to where I was. I certainly don't want that!

BTW, I finally started Acyclovir this past weekend. I plan on going for a couple months and then start transfer factors. So far, so good!

Thanks for your help, Elsa. As always, you are a wealth of knowledge.

Katy
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I talked to the Pharmacist at the Compounding Pharm. She said the only difference may be that the Compounding is a time-release form. Not sure if that makes a difference.
    I'm glad that it is helping.

Laura
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for asking! That is good to know. I can't see that it would make much difference having timed release when taking relatively small doses. Then it comes down to which is more expensive! I'll have to comparison shop.

I don't know why, but I always feel like the compounding pharmacy MUST be producing a better quality product. It sounds like in this case, that's probably not true. That's good news for me!

I really appreciate your reply!

Katy
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

Those are kind words and I appreciate them very much. I'm not so much a wealth of knowledge as I am someone who is ahead of you in our mutual fight against these illnesses.

There were many here who shared what they knew with me ... I like it when I can return the favor by passing it on.

That "sense of well being" is not a bad thing. You know, it's gotten some bad press due to heroin addicts digging the sense of well being/euphoria effect the drug has on them.

Young kids who are healthy and happy and not yet exposed to the stresses / responsibilities of everyday life also have a "sense of well being".

We have been sick a long time and have long ago forgotten what it feels like to be happy in our world. That's one of the goals of treatment plans .... to regain a measure of health ... to reach remission and rediscover the "sense of well being" we enjoyed prior to CFS/FMS.

Other hormone therapies will have that as an effect too. Testosterone, GH, DHEA and especially pregnenolone. Those are effects to shoot for.

Good luck on your acyclovir. That is not a treatment I had but many others have and found success with it. Remember, it might create die off, so hang in there.

The transfer factors made a huge difference in my health. I had completed a yr. of rx anti-virals ... valtrex then famvir. It was the plan after that to switch to the TF specifically aimed at EBV.

Where the rx meds did not cause die off, the TF's did. It was short term for me but once it happened I was on my way.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other. Remission is possible and you can get there.

Take care,

Elsa