Cortisol Adrenal insuffiency some machine that stimulates it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luvnewcomb, Mar 8, 2007.

1. luvnewcomb

luvnewcomb New Member

I'm so confused. I go to this doctor who is always trying new and different ways to make FM patients feel better. Once he finds something works on one person and starts using it on everyone.

He decided I have adrenal insufficieny by looking at my pupils and put me on cortef - that didn't work, to say the least, as I am very sensetive to steriods and such, along with many other meds.

Now he has this new machine he hooks you up to, or something - I haven't gotten a good answer of what exactly it is and he says he's had great results.

Not once has he done a blood test to see what my cortisol levels are. I'm just a bit worried (sceptical...) and would really appreciate your help.

Anyone who's had this machine used on them, PLEASE, reply - or if it sounds like a similar one. On my appt card it says FSS. I called today and the receptionist didn't really know anything. I was supposed to go today but rescheduled until I have more info.

Please help - very important to me. I've had such a difficult time with everything that's wrong with me and nothing working. This doctor is not my only dr so I can call the other one for info.

My other dr is now telling me I have lupus too along with a long list of documented via blood work, x-rays, stuff. Please assist in my informed decision before I go trying something else that just makes me feel worse.

Thanks so much -
  2. gasolo

gasolo New Member

I believe your concerns are just. I'm not aware of any machine that stimulates the adrenal glands. I certainly wouldn't try a new drug or treatment until your doctor explains exactly how it works and its potential for an adverse reaction.
    Just my 2 cents.

Gary
  3. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I have finally got a diagnosis of severe adrenal insufficiency which I strongly suspected, but, I have a saliva test to confirm this. I have also just recently done a fair amount of research regarding adrenal problems, but have never seen mention of a mention which might help with this. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist however, but you should get the proper name for this machine and the procedure and the possible side effects, etc. before you have this done. A person with adrenal insufficiency is a fragile person, and many medications or other things that can cause any kind of stress are contraindicated.

You need to find what this procedure is, so that you can ask for more information here on this board, or go online and research it there. Be very cautious. Remember: if you're not sure about something, DON'T DO IT.

I will await any more information that you can provide, and hopefully, someone else will have replied. Marie
  4. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Most DRs don't even try or pass the buck. Do you just not feel comfortable with him?

I am somewhat confused on adrenal issues. 7 years ago thanks to an MRI a tumor was discovered on my right adrenal gland. I was extremely concerned about this. At that time, I had to go an internist and had to collect urine for 48 hours to test for cortisol (and store it in my fridge ... ewwwwwwww gross). Have things changed? My PCP says "oh those tumors are ususally benign" (which mine was) but the internist wanted me to have an annual MRI to keep a check on it. Finally after a lot of naggggggggging my PCP sent me for a scan of just my mid torso and said she saw no change. Now I am reading on here how so many of you all have adrenal issues and no one seems to have to go through the urine collection process. Believe me ... I am all for an easier way :) (it is quite embarassing to haul 2 - gallon milk jugs of urine past people on an elevator). It's got me wondering if a lot of my problems are due to my adrenals?

5. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

The most accurate measure of cortisol is by doing the saliva test, which you can collect at home 4 times during the day, and then you or your Dr. sends it to a lab. I did it about 5 weeks ago, and my levels were all very low throughout the entire day, which just confirmed my suspicions that I am in severe adrenal exhaustion. There are many websites regarding this, one is adrenal fatigue by Dr. Lam, another is Dr. Rind. Look them both up, they are full of information. I also have Dr. Wilson's book, The 21st Century Stress Syndrome. Someone else is likely to answer your post, I am too worn out to carry on at the moment. Marie
  6. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I have read about the eye pupil test in dr wilsons book called adrenal fatigue. he says in can detect adrenal fatigue in some people. that is all i know about it.

I have also read about machines that can stimulate the adrenals in dr poesneckers book called chronic fatigue unmasked 2000. i have no idea if this is true or not. it sounds strange, but ....?

i would suggest looking into getting a saliva adrenal test from a good lab (like diagnos tech, or another good lab) be sure that the test will test your saliva 4 times a day. (not just twice)

this test can be ordered thu a group called canaryclub - just do a search online.

adrenal issues seem to be common for many of us. but there are probably some people here who had good healthy adrenal glands too. I think testing is the way to find out.

bigmama2

7. luvnewcomb

luvnewcomb New Member

I will find more out about it - my main problem is that I completely don't understand this adrenal stuff and my doctor likes to try new stuff a lot, which is fine, but I almost always seem to have bad reactions to everything. My body is so sensative it's gotten me very weary of it all. he's a wonderful doctor and is trying to help me feel better, normaly, I come out of there worse.

I just thought it would be something that someone would know exactly what it was, but I need to call the doctor office and ask for much more details - then I can ask again.

Thank you so very much for all of your input. I truley appreciate your help.

L