Cortisol high or low???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by acuario, Jan 19, 2006.

1. acuario

acuario New Member

hi all.

Does anyone know the symptoms of High and Low cortisol levels???

I feel a lot of stress, anxiety, nervousness, fear all the time. and I can't sleep at night. I feel fear (butterflies in my stomach feeling)all the time.

which test for cortisol levels is the best one?
    thank you so much.
    Acuario
  2. trishabeth

trishabeth New Member

I have the same problem I want to know too. Can you ask a regular dr. for a test for this?
  3. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

They need to draw blood in the morning and again about 4:00 P.M. The cortisol levels are suppose to be the highest in the morning... But, it can be diff. with a day or night person.............I tend to be a night owl...

I have been given loading doses of it, so I have experienced the high, and have been taken off pred. too quickly and have experienced the low............

When it is too high, I am nervous, irritable, really miserable, rapid weight gain, swelling, edema, and etc.

When it has been too low, I felt like I was dying, and people do die, when taken off of it, too soon. They have adrenal failure, but it is usually after an accident , and you are not given cortisone......... I start out feeling very tired, and weak, then am nauseated, very depressed... Then it gets worse, and worse... till I get back to taking the prednisone.

They also can take a 24 hr. urine test............. I asked my Dr. to check my level and he just checked my blood, in the afternoon, and it was normal.... But, he had told me it had to be checked twice, in one day... So, I don't know why he didn't do it right. Prob. because it was my idea.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

The testing ,if at all possible, would revolve around 4 seperate times the blood is pulled. For the most part, cortisol should be the highest in the morning and decrease as the day goes on.

It is very, very common for CFS/FMS patients to have low cortisol numbers. It will start out as a reaction to some stressor .... The cortisol will elevate and do it's thing ....

Problem is that after the stressor is gone ... we don't "turn off" our stress response system. Consequently cortisol levels will get blurred from the normal routine.

Not long after, the lines between the times of day when cortisol should be high and the times of day when cortisol should be lower become quite blurred. The next phase (if the off switch has not been found) is low/low. We deplete what stock of cortisol we had ... and even start to "steal" from other hormones in order to keep up with the demand.

The signs/symptoms of low cortisol are: low blood pressure, dizziness, recurrent infections, a touch hypoglacimic, fatigue, irritability, shakiness, crashing during stress.

I strongly suggest finding an integrated doctor who is trained or educated in the hormonal imbalances of CFS/FMS. Have him pull the blood .... you will have a better shot of a proper interpretation of the results this way.

I am not saying traditional endocrinologists don't know their stuff ... just that most of them "do not know their stuff" as it relates to CFS and fibro.

There is a huge alternitive to prednisone and all it's lovely side effects. It is compounded cortisol. It is not nearly as aggressive as prednisone ... which is traditional doctor's first choice.

Many have taken 20mgs daily for a long period of time without any bad side effects, consequences. I take 10mgs every morning.

It is a cog in the wheel .... one of many hormanes I take in an effort to balance the HPA axis again. I have had no problems at all.

Good luck with this. Look up Dr. Teitlebaum on google. You will find alot of information concerning this.

Take care,

Elsa
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

My testing showed that my levels are reversed. I start getting really ansy around 2PM & that's what keeps me from sleeping.

Then I'm exhausted in the mornings.

LIGHT*********carole
  6. acuario

acuario New Member

thank you all, for your information.

please keep posting. thanks