Cortisol levels? What is optimal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Nov 30, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I had a Cortisol AM/PM test done yesterday. I got the PM results this morning, and at 4PM they were at 6. Does anyone know what the optimal level is? Should it be going higher as the day goes on?

I'm still waiting on my AM test. They did it at 11AM, so they might say its not valid. I tried to explain that it would be extremely difficult for me to get to the lab so early in the morning because my symptoms are worst in the morning.
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Should be done EARLY EARLY morning, that is when they should be rising, then drop as the day goes on. If your symptoms are WORST early A.M., perhaps then that is when your Cortisol is lowest, and that would not be good. Likewise, if your levels are rising as it's time for bed, you're not going to be able to sleep.

IF, you don't get satisfactory results using these blood tests. Saliva Testing is available. They send you a kit with 4 tiny test tubes that you fill with Saliva, throughout the day and evening. This gives a perfect 24 hours chart of your levels, done confortably in your own home. Hopefully, your blood tests will give enough information. But honestly, if this is a mainstream Doctor, unless you are in full Addisons's disease I doubt they would treat you with Cortisol or Florinef, but I may be wrong.
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

My mom brought up the saliva testing during the appointment, but my doctor said he hadn't heard of it for cortisol tests. Maybe he was wrong? I'll try doing a search.. maybe I can do the saliva test on my own and check my results. My doctor is usually open to my bringing in my own research. Thanks for the response.

I would think that if my evening result was 6, with the lowest score being 3, that in the mornings it would have to be under that. That would seem logical to me. Because the results said it should be between 3-16.7 or something. Obviously I'm not on the high side of that.