Cortisol questions?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Jittle, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Jittle

Jittle Member

I have been extremely tired latley (way more than usual) and my anxiety has been unbearable. I do not know enough about cortisol, but have read it can affect both of these areas.

One thing.... I am more tired in the morning and daytime which adds more stress, but I perk up around 10pm for a couple of hours, then back to tired..

I am running out of ideas for the worsening fatigue and came across cortisol and was wondering if someone knew about it. I am going to a new rhumey doctor on Friday, and am not sure if I bring this up on a first visit???

Any info would be great. Thanks
    Jittle
  2. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Jittle,

If you want to know your cortisol levels there are different tests you can have. One is a 24 hour urine test. There are timed blood tests you can have. But by far the easiest and sometimes the most accurate is a saliva test. Your doctor can give you the saliva test kit. You do it at home then send it in to the lab.

I would ask the new doctor to check your cortisol levels. Let us know how you fare with the new doctor.

Hugs, MicheleK
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Jittle - it does sound like your adrenal glands and thus cortisol levels may be out of whack.

If your cortisol is too low in the morning, it can cause the fatigue you're talking about. On the other hand, high cortisol levels can cause severe anxiety.

Several years ago my cortisol levels were high in the middle of the night, which caused severe insomnia.

Michelle is right - the best best for measuring cortisol levels is the adrenal stress index test, which is a saliva test and takes 4 samples of saliva throughout the day/evening, as cortisol levels fluctuate througout the day.

Your adrenals may be weak; however, many mainstream doctors don't really believe this is a real condition. It's crazy. SEveral years ago my chiro who does muscle testing found that my adrenals were very weak (and I was very weak, and physically tired at the same time). He gave me an adrenal glandular product by Standard Process called Drenatrophin PMG which helped a lot.

So you can ask your rheumy for the saliva test, he or she will probably just want to do a blood test, which is not as accurate, does not give enough information. And I think it possible he or she would dismiss the idea of adrenal fatigue.

Depending on what the rheumy does, you might want to look for an integrative medicine doctor who will look at many other things than traditional doctors do. acam.org is a very good website which has a search feature where you can find such a doctor.

Best wishes,

Mary
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

who ordered a saliva test from ZRT lab in Beaverton, Or. This test can also be ordered and paid for by the patient without a doctor ordering it.....same price. I believe it cost me around $250 paid upfront. It was a blood spot test 4 times during the day and also a saliva test. The doctor got the results then gave them to me and the report was very thorough from the doctor at the lab. You might want to look them up and talk to someone about this if you don't find a doctor who believes the adrenal fatigue stuff. Few of them do. My lab results didn't really show anything out of the ordinary. Have you read the book "Adrenal Fatigue by James Wilson?

I'm still fatigued and didn't get any help from this holisitic doctor.