Cortisol testing worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JohnBee, Nov 27, 2006.

1. JohnBee

JohnBee New Member

I have been reading alot about some FM patients having their cortisol levels checked and wonder if the test provides any insight into sleep/stress/anxiety problems. People that have done it are those who seem to get wired and awake around 8pm, but are exhausted during the day. What do you do with the results once they come in? How is an improper level of cortisol treated? Thank you for your help.
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I had saliva testing over several years. In the beginning, I had an overabundance in the morning and it melted away (too far away) by the afternoon). Later, it basically flatlined at a low rate...all day long.

I was able to take Seriphos to dampen the overload, and it did help.

Now I take supplemental (prescription) low-dose cortisol.
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Cortisol is produced by the adrenal gland, so a cortisol test is also a test for adrenal function. The adrenals control a variety of things, so I think it is worthwhile. If you do the cortisol test, you might also want to have DHEA and melatonin tested.

If the adrenals are not functioning correctly, you can get that restore it.

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2006]
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think having as many endocrine tests as you can afford is a good idea.

Even with such tests, it seems important to keep a close eye on your body and change strategies is something you're doing seems wrong, though.