cortisone shots for disk problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paige51, Aug 27, 2005.

1. paige51

paige51 New Member

Went to the doctor for the herniated disks in my neck. they are going to give me three cortisone shots about two weeks apart in my neck.

Has anyone ever had shots for this problem?

It will not correct the disk, but will take the swelling and inflammation out to reduce the pain and pressure on the nerve.

This pain is awesome.

paige51
  2. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I certainly can relate to the disk pain and I hate to sound negative but for the last year and a half, I've had epidurals - almost a year apart the last time and they haven't done much of anything for the pain.

I wanted them to work very much. I started to feel like a pin cushion about two weeks ago and refused anymore. The doctor who gives them in my area keeps you awake and it is stressful when the area is already do painful.

My physiatrist wants to try trigger point injections followed by myofascial release on the same day. Call me a cynic, but I have my doubts about them working too. It would be wonderful if they did.

I went to an orthopedic surgeon on Monday and he said that I have so many cervical and lumbar bulging disks, severe disk degeneration, etc. that "he wouldn't know where to begin to do anything surgically". Great huh? I didn't really want surgery, but to be told that there is nothing that would help is a little discouraging.

In your situation, it may be a case that if you don't try the injections, you won't know for sure if they will help.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
    Val
  3. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

I have been getting epideral steroid injections in both si joints. They sedate me prior to giving me the injections and they have been successful in relieving pain. My primary physician gives me trigger injections in my shoulders when the pain gets too severe. The trigger injections hurt like hell but they do work. Are you having the injections done at a pain management center? I wouldn't do them anywhere else because they sedate me prior to giving them to me. My PCP just sticks the needle in with no numbing for the trigger injections. If I didn't get so much relief I certainly wouldn't put myself through the torture of the trigger injections. Good luck. I wish I could tell you they will work but we are all different and what works for me may not work for you .

Bubblegum
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I have some bad cervical (neck) problems, too. (I have paramedian herniated disks, degenerative and buldging disks, thecal sac effacement, bone spurs, spinal canal stenosis, compression of an exiting nerve root, severe cervial spondlosis, and facet arthropathy.)

I have heard of shots for this problem, but I don't know if they are cortisone or not.

I investigated this due to the pain, but decided, along with the help of my daughter (who is a physician), not to risk it. I agree, the pain is terrific.

I have the same and other problems with my lumbar spine, which cause extreme low back pain to the point that I can not stand or walk for more than 15 min. at a time, then I must sit down for an hour to recuperate.

I did have 3 LESI's (lumbar epidural spinal injections) but it was some type of numbing med to numb the pain and probably some type of steroid to reduce inflammation.

I decided to have these injections ONLY because the place they would be injecting was below the spinal cord.

Each shot was $1500 (done in same day surgery unit of hospital as an outpatient). They were supposed to last and provide pain relief for 6 months or so. THEY DID NOT WORK!!!!! The first one lasted about a week. The second and third did not help one bit. I will not take them again.

If someone is going to inject in your neck, MAKE SURE THEY ARE EXPERIENCED AND HAVE DONE IT MANY, MANY TIMES!!

Have you tried other ways of trying to reduce the inflammation and swelling prior to taking this step?
    Like maybe taking anti-inflammatories, or a prednisone med pak, etc., then taking a non-narcotic pain reliever like Ultram (and having stronger ones on hand for really bad days)?

If you have the shots, let me know if they helped you.

Good luck,
    Janet