CORTISONE SHOTS, pros and cons???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Oct 29, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I will see the hand doctor again on Nov. 9, for the tendinitis and trigger finger problems that just won't heal. I'm sure he will offer me his usual:

1. do nothing
    2. use a splint (which I am doing now, with some success, although I just aggravated the whole hand last night when we had a plumbing crisis at home, darn it)
    3. put me in a cast. (nooooo, thank you!)
    4. cortisone shots
    5. surgery

Several months ago he did a cortisone shot into the tendon that is triggering, and it helped for awhile, but the problem is coming back.

I really want to avoid surgery, but am still considering it as a last resort option.

My question is this: There is so much controversy about cortisone injections. Should I go for it? Avoid it?

It is used, for me, in a very small amount in a very small area, not like we are injecting a large area, and it is not into a joint. He injects into the tendon sheath. (And yes, it HURTS!!!!)

Comments? Suggestions? I know he will ask, and I am desperate for relief, although not at the chance of the expense of long term problems from the treatment, if that is a possibility.

Thank you for your wisdom and experience!

Peace,
    Beth.

2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

look up cortizone on the internet to see what the side effects are.

they can et away everything around the injection site and cause weight gain, etc.

and yes i have had them put into a shoulder 2-3 times but did kow good when because of the probelem/you need to think about what is going on w/your body and way the risks of the shots.

and yes i have had shots put into my darn tennis elbow and bursits in elbow and well tht isn't workig too well either.

and yes i was advised that if i have the cortisone injected into my foot it would eat up everything around the joint that is already deformed and has bone spurs into it... and he said he would not do that cause it causes more problems in the future...so maybe try the orthodics and see if they help....well that is 400$ that i do not have at this time... so the other option that makes since for me is to fix the problem and clean up the toe joint so it will bend and move like a toe was made to...

he said he would do the shots only if i were really old,,i'm almost 41 years old../

so weight the pros and cons for your situation...

jodie
  3. spmary

spmary New Member

I had carputunnel surgery that didn't improve, so the doc.gave me a shot in the wrist that hurt worse than anything. I almost hit him. I have alot of arthritis in the hand and wrist too, but no more cortosone shots. I wear the wrist brace at night until I get tired of it and leave it off until it hurts bad again..geesh!
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

I need to do some research. I have a sinking feeling I will end up with surgery for the trigger finger, anyway. That worked well on the right hand, cured the problem. However, the carpal tunnel and tendinitis releases only helped about 50%.

Lots to think about...

Mostly about the pain of the injections. YUCK! Like I need more pain in my life?????

Peace,
    Beth.
  5. livnlet

livnlet New Member

I wish i had know the side effects of cortison injections.
    I wound up with Ostheoperosis.

Be careful.
    Livnlet
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

not getting anywhere on the internet. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Any suggestions for where to look? I've been to MedScape, Arthritis Foundation and MedLine.

Thanks,
    Beth.