Cortisone Treatment for Spinal Stenosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hank1157, Aug 16, 2006.

1. hank1157

hank1157 New Member

Has anyone out there had Cortisone treatments for Spinal Stenosis. My Neorosurgeon prescribed it, and after I learned it was a synthetic steroid, I am not sure I want to do it. The thought of getting shots in my spine, is very scary. Besides I read where the treatment is still kind of experimental. Maybe I should just keep taking aspirin.
  2. fairyborn

fairyborn New Member

I am sorry to hear about you pain. I have gotten injections for pain for the last couple of years. First in my neck,thorisic area. Now I have receive in Lumbar area, the injections have been very helpful for me.
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Hank1157:

Not sure that cortisone would help your spinal stenosis. Did your doctor tell you what that is? It is a narrowing of the bones through which your spinal column pass. As this happens, the soft tissues that support the spine become inflammed, when that happens, the nerves tend to get irritated, and you have pain.

While having steroid injections might help to alleviate your pain for the short term, only surgery will alleviate your pain for the long run. It is a major surgery, and you could have lots of complications. What you and your doctor should do is to make a plan on how to deal with your problem, and what kind of pain you can tolerate so that it does not affect your daily life.

The injections are better than taking oral steroids. The shot would allow more of the steroid to be put in the exact spot where it is needed. Also, having a series of 3 (usually the most any doctor will do on one spot) will not really give you a very large dose of steroids, and your body will process the steroid fairly quickly. The benefit is that the steroid will control the inflammation fairly quickly, and hopefully, the nerves will not become irritated again, or at least it would provide you with some relief of the pain.

Hope that helps some, I have undergone lots of epidurals on my entire spine...and I would prefer having lots more shots in my spine (actually just close to it) than having surgery...especially the spinal stenosis surgery, which is like have a rotor-rooter done on your spine.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Virtually all steroids and meds we take now are artificial, in that they are manufactured.

The only other way to get them would be from FRESH cadaevers - I'll take synthetic any day.

As for the injections, they use very, very small amounts of the medication for the injections, and unless you were to get them very frequently, as weekly over a period of time, they do not, for most people present problems.

I have severely degenerative stenosis and disc degenerative disease in my whole neck. I am not even a candidate for surgery for a fusion, as they have no where to stabilize it to, because all of them are bad.

I was a CRNA, and Advanced Nurse Practitioner and have that dark sense of humor that most of us developed, and most pain docs are Anesthesiologists, so they say things to us that they would never, ever say to other patients. When mine looked at my MRI of my neck, he just said "Oh, man are you ******." WE both laughed, and then I said, well I generally know that means not good, but give me the particulars.

They have done facet joint injections in my neck, and they HELPED IMMENSELY FOR MY NECK AND MY ARMS.

Many of the triggers on my shoulders and neck decreased dramatically, as well as the neck pain.
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

IN what I was reading about steriod kijections and epidurals. I found out that they help better if they are given with in a few months of an injury. OR with in a few months after your DX. The sooner the better as they seem to not help if is has been a long time since you were injured.

For me I hurt my Lumbar region and that was so long ago , as in over 15 years ago. For me the odds are poor for it to give me any relief from the injections. Somewhere in the range of less than 30% of it easeing my pain.

And for me thatis poor odd's. IF I have to pay to have this done I really want to have a good result. And for me the pain from the injection is not worth it for me. Then I am one who has strange reactions to some medications. Steriod are on that list. To me they burn , sting, feel like I have hot lava running through my joints .

They don't help the pain just make it worse. But that is just my reaction.

Back to the what i was reading. The longer you wait from the time of injury , your getting a good result is less.
    I know poeple who have had steriod epidurals and one time it worked and the other it only caused them more pain. I had several streiod injuectins in my ankle and for me it was shear pain all the time.

The pain from the injection never left it only got worse and worse. So I got no help at all either for the relief of my pain or the inflamatation.

Check this out on line and ask about it . Find out the reactions that others have had to this.
    make sure that this is what you what to do knowing that your odds may not be as good as you may think they are.

Rosemarie
  6. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Hi hank1157, as I said, I too have had them in my spine over many years now, and sometimes they work and other times they don't work quite as well. But I did have reactions to them, but don't let that bother you as I'm allergic to alot of meds. Even though they go into the spine area, some of the cortisone leaks into your system and can cause a few reactions. But I quess I would have to say they did help me to the point of getting me out of pain as well as putting off any surgery for 10 years now.

I just now had some injections in my shoulder and I had the same reactions, but it also helped with the pain trememdously. That part was caused from a rotator cuff injury and now as they found out, I have 3 disks in the cervical area that need surgery to repair as the disks are totally closed. So, as my neurosureon said, the shots helped take the inflammation down, but didn't do alot to help with opening up the disks of course, but at least relieved alot of the pain.

So, in my opinion, I would go for it, as it does help most people to some degree and other's totally relieved their pain. I got relief immediately after just 1 shot, but went back for the total of all three shots just to make sure it was all over with and kept me out of pain for a long time.

Good luck having it done and don't worry about it, these days its alot easier to do, then say even ten years ago. It takes a total of about 1/2 hr to do the first shot and then you're up and about and walking out of there feeling pretty good!!
    Take care and I'll keep you in my thoughts,
    Shelby