Cortizone Shots

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stix, Aug 25, 2002.

1. stix

stix New Member

My doctors are wanting to give me spinal cortizone shots in my cervical spine area. Has anyone ever had these? I have been putting it off now for a couple of years because I am terrified of shots in my spine! I want to have anesthesia for the procedure, but the doctor says they won't do that.

My problem stems from the C-2-3, C5-6 and into the Thoracic spine. You name it, I've got it. Spinal Stenosis, Bone Spurs, & Degenerative Disc Disease.

Nothing else is working and I'm starting to get desperate. I have to go back and see the doctor in a month. So I have 30 days to decide if I want the shots.

Joy

2. stix

stix New Member

My doctors are wanting to give me spinal cortizone shots in my cervical spine area. Has anyone ever had these? I have been putting it off now for a couple of years because I am terrified of shots in my spine! I want to have anesthesia for the procedure, but the doctor says they won't do that.

My problem stems from the C-2-3, C5-6 and into the Thoracic spine. You name it, I've got it. Spinal Stenosis, Bone Spurs, & Degenerative Disc Disease.

Nothing else is working and I'm starting to get desperate. I have to go back and see the doctor in a month. So I have 30 days to decide if I want the shots.

Joy

3. Deana

Deana Guest

Hello,
    I had shots in lower back and other than wipe me out for about 3hard days they didnt do much.
    I have FMS and Raynaulds and Degenrative amongst other little things to add to the lisst.

It was not the most pleasurable experience but SI joint injections were the worst.I have heard others say the injections werent bad for them and they did get some relief from them I guess some people just benefit some dont.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do and I hope you find some relief if you do have them.
    Deana
  4. stix

stix New Member

I am really wary of them to be honest. I've had shots in my shoulder and in one of my kness before and neither did me much good. It actually hurt more for a while after the shots and then the same.

Maybe what I need is a different doctor rather than a different treatment!

Still unsure,
    Joy
  5. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Joy,
    Years ago, in my quest to seek relief for back pain, I did have 1 cortizone injection. I went to the hospital and under a calming sedation/relaxant was given one.

The result: Two days with no pain and a stiff lower back.
    The stiffness wore off and pain came back.

It might work for your need, I ended up having surgery in the end.

Good luck to you and take care,
    granmama

6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

My husband had them in his elbow for a bone spur, in two weeks the pain and swelling were back. I convinced him to try 'Joint Fuel' by TwinLab, in a weeks time the soreness was gone, and he continued to take it for a few months afterwards. It never came back. That was about a year ago.

My cousin had the Cartizone shorts for the back, same thing you just described. It helped for about a month, then the pain was back, and according to her worst than before.

She would not try what my husband did, she went to pain pills, muscle relaxers, etc, but it kept getting worst. She finally had her back operated on.

Thats about two months ago, she is in less pain, but she still has pain in her back.

You will get a lot more response to this question! Many here have had the shots, and will no doubt be here tomorrow to share with you too.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2002]
  7. aundi_girl

aundi_girl New Member

I had one in my wrist & never again!!!

I still have a scar!! & My arm swelled up so much & turned red! My poor tiny fingers looked like HotDogs!! for 3 weeks!

I know it happened to me but that doesn't mean it will happen to you!
    You do what you and your Dr.s think is best.

xox
    Aundi
  8. Manina

Manina New Member

Hi Joy, Everyone is different, I have thorasic outlet syndrom spurs in my upper back and neck also ruptured disk L5. I got my first cortisone shot in april for the L5 and it helped a great deal at least I could function ,the pain is slowley returning but at least it helped the nerves to sleep for a while. i have had cortisone injections in my shoulder wrist and thumb for trigger finger. I did not gain weight and have no other side effects from these injections they probably do not want to give anesthesia as it is so close to your head. Have you had any acupunture or chiropractic treatment for the neck spures ? this does sometimes relieve the pain. i know a woman who had spures and drank a mixture of natural vinigar with honey and mixed with distilled water for eight months and her spurs dissapeard.What ever you decide I hope your pain subsides God bless.