Cost per sq.foot to build a home where you live?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by atiledsner, Feb 7, 2007.

1. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I was reading on the diy message board. a woman asked for estimates to build a house.estimates range from 100.00 to 120.00 a sq. foot.

Copper has doubled in price since last year.

Anybody going to build soon, other than Bosey?

I'm sure prices vary in different locals,don't they?
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

The thing that REALLY affects the $ of the home is the location of the land. A lot in San Francisco area $$$$$$$$$$$$$ compared to a lot somewhere in Central Illinois, Indiana, Alabama, etc.

I think I paid around $108/sq. ft for my home when we purchased it about 7 years ago.

A single story house usually costs more per sq. foot than a two story home. Of course, there are exceptions to that too (as most things in life). A single story has a bigger "foot print" when you compare sq. footage of living space vs. a two story home.
  3. bozey

bozey New Member

In missouri, to build a log home like we want to do is $45.00 a sq. ft.

I don't know what a regular house would be.

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

MMM we just were looking at homes for sale(even new ones) in Indiana and were amazed that a house there really quite a nice one, can be bought for as little as $35,000 and some new homes selling for $98,000!!!

We did comment about the rising price in sheetrock, lumber and copper etc, even plastic pipe which is oil related. But I guess the price of the land should figure in, except builders building on your land seem to still charge six times as much in some areas. Here homes price out at about $140 per s.f. Boy when I watch H and G and see some of those hovels they flip in CA that are $300,000-wow. We have a relaly nice ranch home about 1,800 sf in a posh neighborhood and it would probably sell for about $210,000 ( we paid much less and have been fixing it up). If we went to live 15 miles west of here still nice area we could buy an gorgeous fixed up Victorian maybe 2,000 sf for $120,000-go a bit further west and one can buy a farm that is in good shape for that.

Prices are all over the place, never mind materials costs. But mostly it is the land I guess and demand.

Love Annie C
  5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Did you ever notice how they say "projected profit"??

Did you ever notice that they don't include the closing costs that a seller has to pay PLUS the realtor's fee.

Also , there is the monthly rate for the realestate taxes.

Some of those houses that are making a "projected profit" of $40,000 may just break even after all the additional costs are added on. Taxes, interest, insurance, closing costs, realtor's fees, etc.

That program gives a very false illusion of projected profits.