COSTACHONDRIASIS????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I think I may have it. I have TERRIBLE back pain and when I cough or laugh it hurts even more! I don't know much about this. I don't know if it'll go away, or if I should see a doctor, or what. I am in so much pain, and it radiates to my shoulders and upper back. Could it be my ribs? Please help..............................

THANKS TO ALL!!!!

Annette2
  2. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

I have had costochrondritis before and it is terrible! This is what I have been told in the past, although I urge you to see your doctor to verify that this is what you have...

make sure you get plenty of rest and apply heat to the affected area. There are many anti-inflammatory medications that can be bought over the counter like aspirin or Ibuprofen but your GP can prescribe something stronger if he thinks it is necessary. Cortisone shots are another alternative but they are not a cure and are not recommended as they are said to weaken the cartilage after long periods of use. Physiotherapy and acupuncture have also helped some people.

If you are a sufferer the most important thing to remember is not to overdo it as any strain will aggravate the condition. Talk to your GP and when you find the treatment that works best for you stick to it.

I hope you can get into your doctor soon! Please feel better.

~A
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have costal chondritis and it's chronic. I have it all the time--but some days are worse than others. It's an inflammatory condition almost like an arthritis. Anyway, so sorry to hear you may have this. It's very uncomfortable. Mine is in the entire rib cage. Try typing in costal chondritis in the post search and maybe all the posts will come up for you.
    Tania
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I would not use steroids to treat my FMS, but the inflammation of costo chondritis is so great and the pain can radiate down the arm and out the back like yours is doing. This makes sleep all but impossible.

I found a sports doc, an orthopedic surgeon, who injected a steroid locally between two of my ribs next to the sternum and the costo was gone til the next year about this time when bronchitis brought it back.

Love, Mikie
  5. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

You should go to the doc. to make sure you do not have pnominia. I am sure I spelt it wrong. do you smoke? I have been told I have costo but mine are also in my whole rib cage. i ALSO have alot of pressure in my back and sides but never any pain when I breath or laugh
  6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Thank you for your replies! This is a new symptom for me and don't know how to react to it! Which doctor should I see? Rheuamatologist or family doctor? I'm so confused....

Annette2
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I also get costa chondriasis through out the whole ribcage. It is terribly painful.

I take OTC Advil Gel caps, and a low dose of Xanax for the pain, the Xanax inhances the Advil's pain killing effect, so it does really work well. Also, I have a long heating pad that I wrap around my ribs, and get on my mattress heating pad too!

It seems it starts with me if I do too much overhead work sometimes. It will also generate to my upper arms and shoulders too.

Put a snug fitting tee shirt on under your regular shirt, keep your natural body heat in. It helps a great deal.

But do go to the doctor, as soon as you can, it could be pneumonia, pleurisy or bronchitis as well. I have had all three and they do mimic one another.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Do stay in bed as much as you can, as too much movement makes it hurt worst!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I just called my family doctor. I'm seeing him at 4:00 this afternoon. My back still is bothering me. It doesn't hurt all the time - just when I cough or laugh - it feels all sore and then it moves to the front. At least I'll know today what it is. THANKS for all of your suggestions!!!!

Annette2
  9. danisue22

danisue22 New Member

Hi Annette , I just read your post .Sorry to see you are having to deal with this on top of all the rest. Hope your Dr was able to help you.I feel so bad for you. God Bless Danisue