Costal Chondritis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I was diagnosed Costal Chondritis probably a year or so ago.

Yesterday I helped stack a few bales of hay with some friends and today my left side under by breast hurts. The pain just started when I got to work this morning and it almost feels like my heart hurts - it's in that area. It hurts all the time but more when I breath heavily and sort of "catches" when I move a certain way. This is different than when I was dx'd with c c the first time.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is familiar with this and what are your symptoms, when do you feel the pain from this and where etc?

[This Message was Edited on 06/23/2008]
  2. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

and baling hay sounds like EXACTLY the kind of activity to trigger it.

My last attack was due to several hours of using a weed-eater. The strain of holding the ungainly thing triggered just that area of my body, and I'm sure lifting bales of hay would do the same.

The way you describe it (pain on heavy breathing, and "catching" when you move a certain way) sounds very accurate to the way a bad attack will affect me.

Too bad that the Rx is REST, especially when you have to work. At least when you get off, try to get comfortable and apply heat. Also, an anti-inflamatory may help.

Best wishes, hope it passes soon.
  3. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I was beginning to wonder if I should go to the ER!

I didn't feel as if I was over exerting myself yesterday as the bales were not very heavy, there were not that many and although I noticed that I got tired before anyone else I took breaks - so I didn't feel I was over-doing.

Ahhh rest. Yes, that's what I need! I need to stay away from the office and get plenty of rest!

Thanks again!
  4. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

I was diagnosesd 2 1/2 years ago with costochondritis. Any kind of lifting or moving made the pain worse.

Do you have any viruses? The reason I ask is since I have been seeing Dr. Lerner, he believes the chest pain is coming from the viruses that affect the heart. I have not had the kind of pain you describe in a long time.

I did have lymph massage done on me during that time and it was very helpful. She said all of my lymphs were swollen. I went for about 3 months and found it to help. I hope you feel better soon. I know it is not fun to feel the way you are feeling now. Take care, Cindy
  5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

costochrondritis and intercostal neuralgia.

I recently traveled and came home with terrible chest pain and difficulty breathing. Went to ER twice over a months' time convinced I was having a heart attack.

Finally, I went to a chiropractor and sure enough, I had a rib that was dislocated. Hurt like costo. but worse.

He adjusted me and the pain is gone.

6. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

HI Marti,
    what is Intercostal neuralgia?? i too have the costo, but i have never heard of the other thing. thanks,Kat
  7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Is different from costo. which is inflammation of the cartilage.

Intercostal means between ribs. neuralgia means pain.

I have damaged nerves in between my ribs which causes pain.

I take tramadol which helps some but mostly I had an epidural root block to stop the pain.

They don't do those for costo because the inflammation should be short term. (I don't think it is too short term in our population).

8. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

thanks for the info, yea right huh. SHORT TERM! Don't think anything about this disease would be termed SHORT in my Book!
  9. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

i know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

almost 4 years ago, i had that severe pain in my chest, every time i took a breath my chest would hurt so bad, i had no idea what it was, and i kind of just ignored it, but i started to freak out because i thought i was having a heart attack or something, its really scary, the next day just happened to be Christmas and I was in so much pain I had to go to the ER and they told me it was Costrochondritis! (however you spell it)

They didn't give me any meds except for Ibuprofen and told me to take three at a time, a couple times a day, maybe twice, i don't remember.. but i took it consistently, and it slowly went away, i've never had it (knock on wood lol) since then, but good luck with it! hope you feel better
  10. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

to read how "conditions" differ when it comes to symptoms - isn't it? The only good thing is we can share stories. I think that helps relieve alot of worry and stress.

Thanks to all who responded!

I'm feeling much better but I know I need to take it very easy until this goes away completely.

I think I need a nap!

11. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i was wondering, along with the rib pain , does anyone have pain along the breast bone?? i mean i cant even press there sometimes or i'll jump out of my skin!! the rib pain comes & goes, bu tthat spot is pretty much a constant with me.
  12. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

hiya guys

as well as the rib pain i have real problems with the breast bone and the area above my right breast. i have 3 raised ribs in this area which are tender and painful to touch.

There is a swelling, raised lump area there too almost like a third breast is forming. My physio used to re site these raised ribs at one time but they are permanently 'out' now and wont go back into the sockets as over time he says there is a build up of a sort of calcified substance which lines the socket which the ribs should sit it.

When this area flares up its so painful and impossible to lift my arm on that side above waist level, so hair washing, brushing etc is totally out of the question until it calms down.

Like many of you, even breathing is terribly painful during flares, it can be scary i agree, dont you find that when you are trying your hardest to breathe carefully and a little shallow to prevent the pain you find yourself needing to take sharp intakes of breath? regulating your breathing and trying to remain calm is essential during flares of this kind but extremely difficult i find.

gentle hugs to you all ((((FIBRO HUGS ))))

Survivor (because i am 1 lol)
  13. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

I've had the costo for 2 1/2 years now. I get knots in my chest in three places and two places in my back from it. I was amazed when I went out to Las Vegas and all the knots went away by the second day. I guess mine is caused by the humidity of the northeast, not to mention the bad mold in my room.

The first thing we tried was NSAIDS 500mg twice daily. They didn't get rid of it, but I could tell if I missed a dose. After a scope, my GI doctor told me I wasn't allowed to take oral NSAIDS ever again due to a stomach and esophageal disease.

Next we tried this new medicine/medical food called Limbrel. It's a variety of plants used in Chinese Medicine. It didn't work as well as the NSAIDS, but again I could tell if I missed a dose.

Now I've been on the Flector Patches. They get rid of the knots temporarily, but they don't stick well for something that needs to be worn 12 hours at a time. My father-in-law's a nurse and gave me some tegaderm tape to try. It works really well holding the patch in place, but it's really expensive.

I know there's also a cream that's made from the same stuff in the Flector. There's also a opperation to remove the cartilidge if the inflammation gets to bad.

Heat used to work wonders for a while. I'd let a hot water bottle sit on my chest when it was bad and it would help as long as the cartiledge wasn't too bad.

Hope this helps.