costochondritis / aggravating factors?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Dec 3, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i thought i had determined that my chest discomfort and shortness of breath was a vicodin side effect but i continue to experience the chest problems even when i'm not using vicodin. i have however noticed that my chest problems get much more pronounced in the 24-48 hours after taking vicodin. so it seems to be a factor but not the cause.

anyone else with costochondritis have it flare when they take codeine medicines?

i'm trying to learn how to control the costo. i know my posture is also a factor. any advice from costo sufferers on what other factors might aggravate this bothersome condition?

eddie
  2. cph13

cph13 Member

I had this problem before I knew I had cfids/fm. Came along with tennis elbow. As it came, after weeks of course, so it went.Just another part of the body that gets inflamed.
    it actually came back for 2 weeks recently. Once again it is gone. Just some tenderness left.

I don't do vicodine, just ultram for the pain. You may want to talk to your dr. about ultram. In a flair I've been on up to 400mg.Dr. was not happy. Insisted I start on Klonepin and I'll be I only use the ultram rarely. I can actually deal with most of the pain. Maybe I'm just used to it after years (like 14) Pain is just a part of the lifestyle now.

Hope U feel better. Snow today, in pain yesterday, and SO IT GOES.
    CPH
  3. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Costochondritis (with unknown cause) is a common cause of chest pain in children and adolescents. It accounts for 10-30% of all chest pain in children. Annually, doctors evaluate about 650,000 cases of chest pain in young people aged 10-21 years. The peak age for the condition is 12-14 years.

Costochondritis is also considered as a possible diagnosis for adults who have chest pain. Chest pain in adults is considered a potentially serious sign of a heart problem by most doctors until proven otherwise.

Chest pain in adults usually leads to a battery of tests to rule out heart disease. If those tests are normal, and your physical exam is consistent with costochondritis, your doctor will diagnose costochondritis as the cause of your chest pain.

It is important, however, for adults with chest pain to be examined and tested before being diagnosed with costochondritis. Often it is difficult to distinguish the two, without further testing. The condition affects females more than males (70% versus 30%). Costochondritis may also occur as the result of an infection or as a complication of surgery on your sternum.

Tietze syndrome is often referred to as costochondritis, but the two are distinct conditions. You can tell the difference by noting the following:

Tietze syndrome usually comes on abruptly, with chest pain radiating to your arms or shoulder and lasting several weeks.

Sneezing, coughing, deep breathing, or twisting your chest can increase the pain.

Costochondritis Causes

Costochondritis is an inflammatory process but usually has no definite cause.
    Repeated minor trauma to the chest wall or viral respiratory infections can commonly cause chest pain due to costochondritis. Occasionally, costochondritis as a result of bacterial infections can occur in people who use IV drugs or who have had surgery to their upper chest. After surgery the cartilage can become more prone to infection, because of reduced blood flow in the region that has been operated on.

Different types of infectious diseases can cause costochondritis.

Viral: Costochondritis commonly occurs with viral respiratory infections because of the inflammation of costochondral junctions from the viral infection itself, or from straining from coughing.

Bacterial: Costochondritis may occur after surgery and be caused by bacterial infections.

Fungal: Fungal infections are rare causes of costochondritis.

I have this condition, and have most of my life, it has gotten worse as I have gotten Older,
    Hope this info helps you.
    sincerely,
    sharonk
    This is information from the emedicne website,
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2005]
  4. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Costochondritis Symptoms

Chest pain associated with costochondritis is usually preceded by exercise, minor trauma, or an upper respiratory infection.

The pain usually will be sharp and located on your front chest wall. It may radiate to your back or abdomen and is more common on your left side.

The most common site of pain is your fourth, fifth, and sixth ribs. This pain increases as you move your trunk or take deep breaths. Conversely, it decreases as your movement stops or on quiet breathing.

The reproducible tenderness you feel when you press on the rib joints (costochondral junctions) is a constant feature of costochondritis. Without this tenderness, a diagnosis of costochondritis is unlikely.

Tietze syndrome, on the other hand, exhibits swellings at the rib-cartilage junction. Costochondritis has no noticeable swelling. Neither condition involves pus or abscess formation.

Tietze syndrome usually affects the junctions at the second and third ribs. The swelling may last for several months. The syndrome can develop as a complication of surgery on your sternum months to years after the operation.

When costochondritis occurs as a result of infection after surgery, you will see redness, swelling, or pus discharge at the site of the surgery.