Costochondritis anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnitaQuiles, Dec 9, 2002.

1. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Hello to all...I have costochondritis pain always. I am not quite sure how I got this dreadful condition...it is ribcage inflammation....it numbs your arms, causes severe pain around my cheswall area, feels like my left breast is almost going to fall off because of the pain. It mimics heart condition too...nausea, sweats, numbness, chest pain, panic, etc. Not a great thing to add on to having Fibro and CFS.

Does anyone have this condition? any reply will be greatly appreciated. I take Ultram, and Lortab for flare ups.

thanks.
    anita
  2. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Hello to all...I have costochondritis pain always. I am not quite sure how I got this dreadful condition...it is ribcage inflammation....it numbs your arms, causes severe pain around my cheswall area, feels like my left breast is almost going to fall off because of the pain. It mimics heart condition too...nausea, sweats, numbness, chest pain, panic, etc. Not a great thing to add on to having Fibro and CFS.

Does anyone have this condition? any reply will be greatly appreciated. I take Ultram, and Lortab for flare ups.

thanks.
    anita
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Yes I have rib cage pain too. I have it all the time, but it flares to full pain and then sometimes it"s milder. Right now, it's bad. The pain is mostly on the sides of my ribs down to the waist. Today it's also along my diaphram bones that makes my stomach feel bad too. I also get alot of intestinal gas pains too--don't know if it's related.
    I've been using the heating pad and Tylenol. My stomach is too senstive to stronger pain meds. There have been others who have this too. Just type in costochondritis in the search messages--you will find more posts. I wonder if the change in the weather is affecting some of us. Seems like there has been several cases of Costo lately.
    Tania
  4. DeeMerrk

DeeMerrk New Member

In my profile I state that I have this, and have for some time. It is really so uncomfortable, often it is difficult to turn in bed. I find one of the most effective ways to treat it palatively is by applying moist heat. I either use my heating pad to which I can apply water to the outside, or I use a really wonderful rice pack which is a flannel bag divided in sections which are filled with not only rice but different herbs. I heat it in the mircrowave, and then put it in its' very soft flannel cover, and then put a towel over it to contain the heat longer.

Try it, it really helps, I have had this for ages.

Dee
  5. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I get this periodically. Had it last weekend triggered by a bra that was too tight. Had it again this weekend triggerd by who know what. I can never spell it though.
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Bringing this back up for Anita. Many of us suffer from rib pain. It's my most awful part of FM other than headaches too.
    Hope more will post.
    Tania
  7. sls1968

sls1968 New Member

I really love your name! It is the name of the most important woman in my life...my mom.

I too have costochondritis, it how I first found this board, I happened on it trying to find information on chest wall pain. It gets so bad that I have been in the emergency room. It never goes totally away for me. I will be fine and a very sharp pain will remind me that it is still there.

The only meds that I take are Trazedone for sleep. My doctor doesn't believe in prescribing pain meds. He used to prescribe Darvocet, but I have built up a tolerance to it.

I cannot find another doctor just yet as I have lost my job and don't have any insurance and have accrued several thousands of dollars in medical bills already.

Take care,
    Sonja
  8. JaneG

JaneG New Member

Anita-
    I cannot believe how much I am learning in only one day on this site! The first time I experienced this type of pain, I thought I was having a heart attack! I forced myself to remain calm(Not easy)took my bp and pulse and for some unknown reason, put a heating pad across my chest and after a few minutes, the pain subsided.

When I told my dr. that I have times when my rib cage aches, and my arms feel like sharp, zinging pains followed by some noticeable weakness in my arms, he looked at me like I was crazy!! It seems like my chest always feels tight and I notice that my rib cage always feels achy - does this make sense?

I have spend some time reading posts so I can convince myself that I am not crazy and can try to get control over this whole thing before it overtakes me! Last night was REALLY bad as far as shoulder, neck pain and stiffness, and severe headache - I feel sorry for my husband cause when I get like this, I can only cope with my feelings and tend to shut him out. Gotta get a better grip on this before I go any nuttier!!!

Thanks to all of you for your posts - I can't believe I was lucky to find this site. JaneG
  9. epicurean

epicurean New Member

aside from FM,this is my worst problem.prior to dx.I was sure I had heart problems-went many times to ER with severe chest pains.Now I take celebrex for the inflmation,and I also take zanaflex and vicoprofen when needed.A hot,hot shower helps a lot,plus using a muscle cream that gets hot helps a lot toward getting some sleep.At it's worst I did go on steriods for a week,mostly because it was sooo bad I was in bed for days at a time.Mostly it is just a dull pain that I have learned to life with.
  10. UmiBear

UmiBear New Member

In my opinion, Costochondritis is one of the TOP problems for Fibro sufferers. I don't think all Fibro people have it, but a lot of us do. Mine never goes away; I have had some level of chest wall pain every single day since 1995. This is a problem I REALLY wish there were answers to, because walking around with constant imflammation in the chest is certainly not normal. Since it never goes away, I've often wondered if there were any long-term affects of having inflammation non-stop for so long. When it's flaring a lot I use ice to ease the pain. That helps some. And I've noticed that it flares more when I've used my upper body more than usual, such as typing a long time on the computer, or even a grocery shopping trip where I did a lot of reaching for things off high shelves. When I know what's brought on the latest chest pain flare-up, it helps me to relax more -- to see the cause and affect. So now I know ahead of time that if I do certain things to expect a Costo flare-up; so I count the costs and plan ahead. I don't have any answers, but I can tell you you're not alone. :) Stay positive and keep smiling!
  11. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Hello and THANK YOU for replying. I did not have a chance to check for messages until today...I am new to this also.

I wanted to ask you about you heating pad...I have a rice heat pad..but how do you add the herbs? If you can give me ideas I will be more than greatful.

I have discovered that Mineral Ice is great too for those painful nights. And sometimes I use, stinks but works!, Vicks vapor rubs...well it makes me sleepy! And I really need to sleep if I am in pain.

Thanks again.
    Waiting for your reply,
    for down under....US/FL anita
  12. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Hi, thank you for your message. I too can relate to losing a job...it happened in Nov. 13 for me..I was in the hospital and my loser boss told me that she could not help me...to make a long story short, I was doing FILING at a medical facility, and for no apparent reason she switch me to carrying charts and stuff....well I had to resign due to not being able to carry heavy stuff...too many charts can weight more than 30 lbs.

I have to go now...thanks for your reply.
  13. DenialQueen

DenialQueen New Member

It's by far the most painful of all my pains (hoping everyone understood that one lol). Doc had me tested for my heart for long while before dxing costo. Muscle relaxers help, along with an exercise I was taught in physical therapy that stretches the chest wall muscle. Often it's so strong, there's no way for rest, let alone sleep.
  14. jen3092

jen3092 New Member

DearAnitaquiles,
    I can't believe there is a separate name for what has been the most annoying and worrisome symtom for most of my illness. I have also often wondered whether it was my heart since I have aquired tachardia and mvp since I got this stuff. Especially when I sweat like a banshee too! Thanks for the post I learned something new tonite and Here I thought I knew everything there was to know about this stuff. Ha Ha

[ advertisement ]