Costochondritis anyone?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by patty818, Mar 26, 2003.

1. patty818

patty818 New Member

Hi:

My name is Patty and I have never posted on your boards. I was dx'd with FMS back in 2000, then in 2001 I was dx'd with hypothyriod and have since been relieved by most of my symptoms with the thyriod meds. I do still muscle aches and pain and occational flare ups.

I was curious if any of you have costochondritis, this is pain the the chest wall and ribs. I have this and have since the begining, which is were all my pain started.
    Its not that is incredibly painful like it was but it bothers me because I alway think its my heart. Mine is located mostly on the left side of my chest and it moves into my shoulder, back, left arm. I have over the past 4 years had 6 ekgs, 1 echocardigram and a nuclear stress test and they all were normal.

I most tell you I am a worrier and have anxiety to boot. So between all that I can get pretty worked up. There really is not much they can do I take advil, use aspercreme and sometime the heating pad.

So I was just curious if anyone else had this and might want to talk.

THanks for listening and take care.
    Patty
  2. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Hi! My name is Madelyn and I do have chest pain. Many different kinds, it seems. I am about to do a CAT scan with dye just to put our minds at rest. (My Dr. and me) It, and shortness of breath, are the most troubling symptoms. If I know that it's not my heart, though, I can live with it.
    Of course you realize that stressing about it will only make symptoms seem worse. Try not to worry, if you are satisfied with the tests you've had. Take care.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to our board.

Yes, costochronditis is a common symptom of ours. I no longer have it, but had it every year in CO. I finally had to get a steroid shot in the chest near the sternum between two ribs. If you poke around, you will find the tender spot where the pain originates. Costo pain radiates into the entire chest wall and can even radiate out the back and down the arm. My pain got so bad, I couldn't sleep, so the injections were my only choice. One injection last all year.

Costo is produced from inflammation in the chest. It often accompanies bronchial problems and this time of year is the worst for bronchial problems.

Love, Mikie
  4. Harper

Harper New Member

I have had chest pains for about a year now. It is scary when it's in your chest and in your left arm. I believe mine is the fibro just creeping around that area.

I have depression and anxiety so I know what it's like to be a "worrier". Sounds like they've checked your heart out very well.

I just tell myself it's just the pain moving around. Sometimes its in my neck, then my hips, then my knees,etc...

Take care.
  5. nayray

nayray New Member

It's been almost a year but I had that for a couple of months. That area is also called the floating ribs. Besides heat, you really have to take it easy with lifting things for a few weeks. I know that's hard especially if you care for small children but it's the only way for it to heal.
    Renee'
  6. Japain

Japain New Member

Hi - I've had pain in my right rib cage; I have COPD also, but one dr. told me I have costochronditis. It really hurts sometimes and worries me too. I have a 92 sed rate and have been tested for everything under the sun. take care. Jane
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

My daughter has had it in the past. The dr. told her to take any of the over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications. They seemed to help her.