Costochondritis Question for Nanjee and others

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I have been reading all the posts about costochondritis from Nanjee and others. Again it is great to not be the only one! But it sure hurts.

The question is: If "inflammation of the cartilage that joins the ribs to the chest bone" is the definition of costo then couldn't we have this same inflamation in other parts of our bodies? Knees, elbows, hips, etc?

We have cartilage in our knees and other joints. Wouldn't it follow that we could have similiar inflamation in these painful joints as well?

This costochondritis is definitely a new idea for me. I have been told by both doctors and rheumatologists that there is no swelling or inflamation involved with FM. That it is a neurological disorder and that there is no damage done to the body. Seems to me that inflamation in the cartilage especially for years would cause some sort of damage????

Marion (Redwillow)
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is not considered an inflammatory condition but we can have inflammation in our bodies. I used to get a cortisone injection at the point of inflammation and it would hold me for a year. This last round of Costo, I took 600 mgs. of ibuprophen at a time; it's an anti-inflammatory. I also iced the chest in the sore spot. It worked! This is much better than using steroids.

Love, Mikie
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Sorry this costo is being so miserable for you. Now that I have a better idea of what this pain in my ribs is I am going to see if I can figure out what triggers it as it comes and goes for me.

I have OA as well as FM and I take arthrotec for that. I wonder if the anti inflamatory in the arthrotec is what keeps mine in better control as I often forget to take it all the time.

I sending gentle hugs to you as I know how miserable this condition is. You are wonderful the way you have been answering all my questions.

Thinking of you Nancy

hugs Marion (Redwillow)