Costochondritis remedies anyone??? hurting bad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katiebug61, Aug 12, 2008.

1. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I think I am having an attack of Costochondritis. Mine is hurting on the right side. The deeper I breathe the more it hurts. If I move my upper body, it hurts. It is also into my right arm. It feels as if some has a ice pick or knife stuck through me from front to back. Any advice on how to make the pain subside. I am at work. Going home not really an option, but may have too. Help!!!!! Breathing like a little baby, very shallow breaths and trying not to move. Even moving my right arm to type hurts it.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/12/2008]
  2. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

Wish I could offer more help than this, but. . .

1. antiinflammatories

2. heat especially moist heat i.e bed buddy

3. Honey

I do not know if any of these can help you today while you are at work.

3. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Slowly headed to Wally World at lunch time and get some of those Thermo Care patches and ibuprofen. Trying to find a position I can get into that helps with the pain. Tough to find that.
    Thanks so much for the advice. How much honey should I take?
    Thanks again!! :)
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I take a muscle relaxer that helps. I take a low dose so I don't get sleepy but just enough to take the pain away. I also can't wear a bra when I have an attack. P
  5. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

I take 2 tbsp at a time and again if needed every few hours.

I do not know why the honey works, but it does for me.

take care,

6. munch1958

munch1958 Member

My heart goes out to you. Costo pain is horrid. I'd almost rather have a baby which I'd have to take care of for 18-20 years over being saddled with that chest pain again. Those years gave new meaning to "Every breath you take..."

I suffered with costochondritis for over 8 years. I tried everything (ice, heat, hot tubs, booze, pain meds, supplements, Sport injury type creams, patches, pills, etc.) including steriod shots at the pain clinic right into my chest cartilage. I also had a homeopathic remedy called Zeel which was being injected into my knee injected in my chest too.

At one point (the pain was soooooo bad) I was on 80 mg of Oxycontin 3X per day with Oxy-IR for BTP. Then I was topping that off with a pitcher of margaritas while in my hot tub. All definate NO-NO's!

My pain managment theory at the time was to sit in the spa until the pain went away. So I'd sit out in the water sipping margaritas for something like 4 hours at a time only to emerge wrinkled, tipsy and pruny.

I even had a stress test at one of the top Chicago hospitals. A cardiologist who was morbidly obese had the nerve to tell me that my EKG was "funny" because I had too much abdominal fat pushing up on my heart.

He decided the costo was due to "Underwire Bra Disease" because of a purple lace underwire bra that I had on at the time of the exam. He said it was a "rib bruise" and even drew a picture of this in my chart.

Never mind that most of my time was spent in PJs so I didn't wear a bra at home. The only time I wore one when I ventured out of my house. This bra I put on in the parking garage at the hospital minutes before the exam.

In March of 2006, I went to FFC and had the extensive testing. For hypothyroidism with underlying infections of Borrelia, CPN, EBV and Candida, I started on 100 mg of Minocin 2X per day along with Diflucan AND Nystatin. After 20 weeks of Abx treatment, my costochondritis pain melted away.

I had been on AF therapy before so I don't attribute my improvement to Diflucan and Nystatin. I had NOT been on Abx for this length of time before.

I had been on Armour thyroid for many years but think the dose was not high enough. My thyroid meds especially T3 were also being titrated upwards at the same time so I can't say wiithout a doubt that it WAS the Abx for certain. Maybe a combo of finally getting enough T3 or the right thyroid meds AND the Abx caused the costo remission.

This was in 2006. It's been 2 years since I've been on Abx and my FM pain is also 100% gone too. I hope to never get either of those painful things back. Wihout a doubt both are very miserable conditions.

I'm now wearing Victoria Secret Underwire bras! I confess that I was one of THOSE women that Stacy & Clinton claim were wearing the wrong size. All I could tolerate before Abx treatment was one of those stretchy Sports bras that can be worn under a spaghetti strap top.

I hope you find some answers, Katie.
  7. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I always feel like im getting ready for a big heartattack with that pain I mean it stops me in my place for a few sconds and very scary too! I usally stop waht im doing and chew up two reg asa even in a store and swollow them right then and there and with nothing to drink to they are prtty bitter. Ive even opened a bottle at the store I hadnt paid for and gobbled some down before paying for them. My dear grandson got onto me about doing that so now i keep some in my pocket when im out and about now,(I did pay for the others that i had opened and bought them.lolthe aspirin is the only thing tht helps me plus a hot water bottle for a few days. But that pain come on so quickly sudden sharp pain and mine is always on left midchest area and then very sore to touch for antoher few days.Pretty scary and painful stuff.
  8. ldoty

ldoty New Member

Yesterday I thought I was having a heart attach. I had heaviness in my chest that radiated to my upper back. It stopped me in my tracks. This happened two times. Is this what Costochcondritis is? Scared the crap out of me....
  9. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have had this problem for years. You probably won't believe it, but the best remedy for me is....Vick's Vaporub!!! The kind your mom slathered all over your chest and under your nose when you had a cold back in the day.

Apparently, losts of other fibro/costo sufferers use Vicks as well because I've read other posts mentioning Vicks. Give it a try--hope it helps!!

10. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

im so sorry you're dealing with costo, it's the absolute worst. i swear i thought i was having a heart attack before i had any clue what it was, its very painful and even the smallest amount of breathing will make you feel worse, take it easy for a little if you can. my doctor told me to take ibuprofen, i think it was two pills three times a day (alot), but it went away and i've never had the pain again, that was maybe 5 years ago now.

hope you feel better!!
  11. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

i also remember using a heating pad, and the combo of both really helped tremendously, good luck with everything
  12. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Well the pain got so bad I went to my PCP. I was just going to get a Toradol shot and thot that would take care of it. She took one look at me and told me it was NOT Costo...
    She wanted me to go straight to the ER. They of course thot it was my heart. Went in on 8-12 and home, finally today, 8-14.
    They ran so many tests and I think I will glow in the dark for the next 2 weeks. The good news is that there is nothing wrong with my heart. It is a severe case of Pleurisy. They did give me Toradol in the hospital and it helped to take the pain from 10+ to about a 4. Still can't take a big breath, but I am home and know what is wrong.
    The cardio doc said that FM could have caused the pleurisy or if I have a cold next week, we'll know what the cause was. Sometimes it just happens. My DH wonders if it was any lingering effects of the pneumonia I had the end of January.
    Thanks for all the care and concern everyone. This board is just such a great place to come and talk, ask for advice and vent. Only other FM's understand. I will have to deal with my boss on MOnday. I bet he will put me on probation for missing more work, but oh well. I'll deal with that later.
    Love and hugs to all.
  13. hope4today

hope4today New Member

My chiropractor adjusts my ribs with an activator. He runs his hands along the front edge of the ribs and I KNOW which one(s) is out of place. I think the tightness and spasms of back muscles contribute to the inflammation in the ribs. I have this done on a monthly (or so) basis and have avoided the serious issues I used to have.
  14. Jayna

Jayna New Member

The menthol cools inflammation and the methyl salicate is a form of the active ingredient in aspirin, which is absorbed through the skin right over the sore spot.

I don't buy the vaporub any more. I use wintergreen essential oil in a bit of vitamin E oil and simply rub it on. Chest/shoulder on costo days and on my thighs & joints when they're in pain.

A $5 bottle of wintergreen oil lasts me far longer than an equivalent amount of vaporub, and the oil absorbs faster so it doesn't guck up my clothes.
  15. tandy

tandy New Member

I've dealt with that 2 times. (enough for me!!)

When I read your first post I thought,..'that sounds like pleurisy or phuemonia, although many of the same symptoms are of Costochondrtis too.

I'm so gald you went to the ER,.,.. you need antibiotics.

and try propping yourself on 2-3 pillows behind your upper back to sleep. I found laying flat made the pain way worse. I could barely breathe laying down.

Feel better soon~ get tons of rest,.. your body needs it. :)
  16. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Thanks Tandy !
    I wasn't given any antibiotics, just hi-powered anti-inflamatories. The pain is a 4-5 as long as I don't breathe too deep or move too suddenly. I have found sore spots on the outside of my ribs and just below my right shoulder blade.
    I have to go back to my regular Dr on Monday to be released to go back to work. If there isn't much improvement in the pain, I'm going to ask about some antibiotics. I know I don't want to have this again. I was very surprised to hear the cardio say that FM could have caused the pleurisy. I am going to write his name down for any future need.
    Thanks again Tandy! I really appreciate it.
  17. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Man it is back again tonite. Not as bad as Tuesday, but on a scale of 1-10, it is back up to an 8. Taking the Rx the Dr gave me. Guess I'll go back out to my recliner and heat pad. This is the PITS. Will ask DH to rub some Vicks on the spots that hurt. Will also take some aspirin and hopefully something will help.
    Sorry to be whining again, but you guys all understand and just need to vent for a bit.
    Thanks again.
  18. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I've had pleurisy before and man oh man, the pain was unbearable. I fell asleep for about 18 hours and woke up sobbing, the pain was so bad. I hope you find relief from the pain soon. Also, try to rest/sleep as much as you can. I also tend to agree with you regarding the pneumonia you had last winter; this probably has something to do with it.

Anyway, I hope you feel a little better every day and at least now you definitively know what the source of your pain is.

[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2008]