Costochondritis (Rib and sternum pain)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Aug 1, 2006.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Anyone else get this? I get it so often, especially around the diaphram. I think it's my stomach, but only the inflamation from the bones. Today I have the diaphram, the entire rib cage and I'm hurting.

Any advice would be appreciated? Is this a fibro thing?
    I'm not sick with a cold--this happens quite often, just out of the blue.

T
  2. singingirl

singingirl New Member

It is a fibro thing. I hurt in my chest quite often. Have been to the hospital because my work thought I was having a heart attack.
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

What a wonderful article. Think I'll print this one up for my doctor. This fits me to at "T".

Tania
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Next to the sternum between two ribs where the inflammation was concentrated. That is where costo starts, not matter where it hurts, even in the back and down the arm.

This last time, I took large doses of Ibuprophen, 600 mgs. at a time (you can take up to 800 mgs. three times a day, no more than 2400 mgs. in a 24-hr. period). Ibuprophen is the best OTC med for inflammation. I also iced the sternum with gel packs from the freezer. Ice works so well for inflammation. My costo is gone now and I'm glad I've found a less risky way to get rid of it than to have it injected.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  5. ladysings

ladysings New Member

thank you tania for asking this question. I am new to this website and just beginning to deal with the fact i have FM. I have had terrible chest pain in my ribs and my chest for yrs. I have been told it was costochrondritis. then anxiety disorder depression panic attacks and been on every drug known to man. I have been getting off klonipin and valium for the last 2 yrs because somewhere along the way over the last 13 yrs i started to lose my memory, be paranoid, and just crazy.

well since i have been getting off the klonipin and valium, i am having more and more and more horrible pain all over. esp in my chest. it is excruciating. it comes and goes. i have just lived with it. but now, i am thinking it is fibro.? I hurt all over now, and that is getting worse. I cant' hardly do anything i feel disabled. i can't think straight. I am depressed

that article nancy was great. so costo goes with fibro? jackie