costochondritis- this one is for the ladies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spike, Oct 22, 2002.

1. spike

spike New Member

This is my first time so be gentle - If any of you are
    larger-breasted women and suffer with major costochondritis or as it is called when there is swelling Tietze's Syndrome,
    have you heard whether breast reductions have been successfull in aleviating some of the pain/swelling?
    I am considering same and really don't want to undergo the surgery unless it is going to help significantly. Thankls a bunch.
  2. spike

spike New Member

This is my first time so be gentle - If any of you are
    larger-breasted women and suffer with major costochondritis or as it is called when there is swelling Tietze's Syndrome,
    have you heard whether breast reductions have been successfull in aleviating some of the pain/swelling?
    I am considering same and really don't want to undergo the surgery unless it is going to help significantly. Thankls a bunch.
  3. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Sorry, I have no info or answers for your question, but did want to say hi and maybe someone knows on here!:)
  4. wallie

wallie New Member

I had Costro. about ten years ago. I really feel that it was a symptom of FMS and only came on when i was stressed. My doctor told me to take three 200mg of Ibuprophen, and it usually went away with that. After the costro went away after about two years, I started getting the Migraines, then the wide spread pain all over.
    wallie
  5. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I have pain all the time-last week so bad that I was in bed most of the week.I have no swelling,so reduction would be meaningless because pain is deep in muscles of chest wall,and mostly connective tissue in between ribs.
  6. kayfrey

kayfrey New Member

I have Costro and I also am small breasted so I don't see how large breast would make any difference. It is a muscle and ligament thing.

Maybe the large breast could aggravate it I know when ever I carry my purse for long periods of time it will aggreviate the situation.

Hope this info has helped.

Kayfrey
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've read that big breasts make it more likely that the costo will never completely go away, but it will wax and wane like the rest of the FMS symptoms. I've had FMS for 17 yrs. and costo for the past 15 of them. It gets worse in the cold weather, so I always make sure my chest is nice and warm. Sports bras have saved me, as they don't hurt like underwires do, but they do hold everything in so it doesn't bounce. Support is important, and heat also helps me when it gets really bad. I have used xanax too when it has been bad enough to affect my breathing or exercising. If your stomach can tolerate NSAIDS, here is one place where they may help, since costo is inflammatory. Because of that, you should not try to exercise it away, but take it easy until it calms down a bit.
    In empathy,
    Klutzo
  8. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Sorry, but, I can't help you there either. If it wasn't for fibrocystic masses, I'd have to label my bras front and back.

Just wanted to say hi though.

Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2002]