Costochronditis??? Scared!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KittyCat, Feb 13, 2006.

1. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hello All,

I am so scared about this. For the past few days I have been having sharp, stabbing pains in the rib cage area (where the bottom of my bra sits). It has been hitting me when I twist or move in a certain way, or inhale deeply, or when I'm backing out of a parking space or my driveway. Basically, whenever I attempt to move my body around it hurts there. I first had this happen to me when I was in my late teens. It lasted for a day and never again returned until my mid forties. I am 48 now and was diagnosed with fibro 2 years ago. For the past few years I have had these 'attacks' maybe once or twice a year. They never lasted more than a day - until this time. This time it's going on 3 days. Does anyone know if this is Costochronditis? I've read about this on the web as well as this board. It seems to be fairly common with many of us that have fibro. Is there anything I can take that will provide me some relief. I'm so scared it might be something serious. I also suffer from anxiety, so you can imagine how I'm feeling! I am going to make a doctor appointment today. In the meantime, any words of comfort, hugs and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all so much!

KittyCat
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

iused to rush a freind of mine to ER several times with this,.IT IS SCARY but really harmless. It is spasms of the chest wall muscles and it feels like a heart attack, it may also make you breathless due to holding your breath-breathe into a brown sack when this happens for several breaths.

Of course, ALWAYS get your chest pain checked for heart disease rather than just go with the costochondritis.

Strangely for the past few days I have had that sort of pain arounf my back and chest but I think it is arthirtic psain.

You also should get a chest xray for the lungs and pleural area.

Good Luck.
    Anne
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Have gall bladder check too.
    Anne
  4. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Thank you both for your replies. I had a chest x-ray a couple of years ago and it was okay. However, I will ask my doctor for another one. I never considered it might be gallbladder. I'll see what he has to say.
  5. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Thanks for your replies...can anyone else shed some light on this awful condition? The pain is so scary! Please help.
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

my daughter (29) was diagnosed with costchondritis by two docs and the pain went on for two months - she'd be fine then it was like a min heart attack and her breathing was affected. They hadnt carried out any tests but were convinced it was costo - so I said she should have had tests carried out on heart etc.

She went to see a third doc who had her tested for many things includ H-Pylori bacteria and that came back positive.

She has just finished a 7 day course of antibiotics and something else and we're hoping that this has been the cause all along.

She hasnt had any pains this past week since she started the antibiotics so fingers crossed.

Maybe you could ask your doctor about H-Pylori just in case.

Also it's possibility it could be gallbladder attacks - I had them and had gallbladder out so thats another possibility.

Docs should carry out tests anyway.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  7. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Thank you so much Rosie...and everyone. I'll ask my doctor about that test they gave your daughter. I'll keep you all posted.

KittyCat
  8. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Thank you all for your input. I feel everything will be okay. I have a doctor appointment for tomorrow afternoon at 3:30pm.

KittyCat
  9. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

and each time I have my cardiologist check with an EKG--yes, it does feel like a heart attack but it isn't.

I just had an attack a week ago and had the sharp pain in the shoulder blade area everytime I took in a deep breath.

I use the heating pad or moist heat along with a good rub at night like BioFreeze.

I'm learning to not freak out anymore with these attacks--but they are scary at first.

Tania
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

I've been getting that alot this week.
    It is scary! and I'm not sure what it is either.
    It sounds like that costochondritis that I've heard of from members here. But i'm not sure?
    Mine is the same area,...the lower ribs,both sides alternate with the sharp pains when I move a certain way.
    I sometimes get it in my back to!! I was worried about my lungs~ never thought of gallbladder.
    I'll add that worry to my list :)
    yup,..I outta sleep REAL good tonight!! lol

(not funny but if I don't make it funny,.. I'll cry or go out of my mind!)
    Hope it helps to at least have company :0
    Hugs
    Tandy
  11. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hi Tandy,

It sure does help to know I'm not alone in this, and neither are you. I'm trying to be a more positive person and not to worry so much. Thank you for your post. It really helps!

KittyCat
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Ihope you're feeling a bit better and made an appointment to see your doctor.

My daughter phoned this morning, she just had another bad attack so it looks like it wasnt h-pylori after all. She's going back to see her doctor.

I hope they can give her something if it is costchondritis.

Please let me know how you get on with your doctor.

love
    Rosie
  13. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I, too have had that exact pain. Once about 10 years ago. then started about once or twice a year. Now a little more often, like every few months.

I thought it was hiatus hernia pain. My heart is fine. When the dr diagnosed the FM, she said the pain was likely from the anxiety.

Now that I've read so many posts here, it seems to be part of the FM and when it happens it is not so scary for me.

Lotsa Warm Wishes.

Sue in Ontario
  14. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Hi KittyKat:

Yes, I have had it and it sounds the same. I am in the medical field and was still scared, even though I was pretty sure that's what I had. I had rheumatic fever as a child, so was a little worried.

I will tell you one thing, it sure made me empathetic when patients came in in the future with it. I remember it lasting about 4 days or so and then it calmed down.

Just remember one thing, whenever in doubt have it checked out. It's always better to go and have them tell you that's what it is then to find out you ignored something more serious.

Take the time to rest and heal.

M J
  15. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

It just varies from day to day but it is always there and sometimes my ribs just scream!

Sorry. I have asked on this board if there is anything I can do and nobody knows. Painkillers seem useless. My ribs in general feel ropey and knotted up.

TIM
  16. reiner1

reiner1 New Member

I have had this condition on and off for 10yrs now,I made mant trips to the ER.I have learned that meditation woks best for me,and it does take some practice,when you are under attack,breath in very slowly,hold for a sec,or two,and exhale slowly,do it untill you feel somewhat relaxed,not a real easy thing to do at first,but you can do it,little steps at a time,I am so good at it now,I can do it while I am doing 65 on the highway.I know its not heart related because I had a stress test,and actually started to get the pains while on the treadmill.You should ease your mind by having your heart checked out,also,moist heat really helped me,along with somma,a muscle relaxant.Good Luck to ya.
  17. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

I'm crying tears of appreciation for all your support, comforting words, experiences and suggestions. I will let you all know how my doc appointment goes. It is at 3:30 this afternoon.

Hugs,

KittyCat
  18. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

It sounds like costo. I had a long 6 month bout with it after I had broncitis really bad. It is so painful. Mine finally went away on its own. Its no fun and I hope you get rid of it soon.
  19. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that I went to the doctor this afternoon and after hearing my history on these pains and asking me some questions, he said I have costochronditis (as I suspected). He suggested I take Advil when it flares up. Again, thank you all for your replies. It is still scary not knowing when that stabbing pain is going to hit, but nevertheless I still have a lot to be thankful for.

Love,

KittyCat