Costrochondritis?can you lead me?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Nov 30, 2002.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hello all! I've read here a few times people speaking of this costrochondritis.I did a search here,and then a google...I have'nt found exactly what this condition is?symptoms and such.A few sites came up on angina??I know I don't have that b/c I have no chest pain.I have alot of left sided rib pain.Very,very sore to touch....hard to even lay on that side.I've had this FM for years,and this has only become a problem in the last yr.(maybe twice-once being now)I'm just trying to see if this could be the cause of my pain,so I can mention it to my Dr. I don't go back to him until after the holidays~
    Does anything relieve this?HA!HA!??? I've been using heat and darvecet.Helps some, but not as much as i'd hope.
    Thanks!!
    Warm regards,
    Tracey
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

Hello all! I've read here a few times people speaking of this costrochondritis.I did a search here,and then a google...I have'nt found exactly what this condition is?symptoms and such.A few sites came up on angina??I know I don't have that b/c I have no chest pain.I have alot of left sided rib pain.Very,very sore to touch....hard to even lay on that side.I've had this FM for years,and this has only become a problem in the last yr.(maybe twice-once being now)I'm just trying to see if this could be the cause of my pain,so I can mention it to my Dr. I don't go back to him until after the holidays~
    Does anything relieve this?HA!HA!??? I've been using heat and darvecet.Helps some, but not as much as i'd hope.
    Thanks!!
    Warm regards,
    Tracey
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Costo Chondritis is caused by inflammation. It usually follows a bout of bronchitis and/or pneumonia. You can try taking larger doses of ibuprophen (600-800) mgs every six hours for a couple of days to see whether this helps, if your stomach can handle it. Take the ibuprophen with food.

It was an orthopedist who was used to using steroid injections to find the exact spot to inject for my costo chondritis, but the shots lasted a year each. If you start pressing between the ribs in the front near the sternum, you may be able to find the spot. It will be so sore you can hardly touch it.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have had the injections too and they help if you find the right spots, but some areas can't be injected because of danger to blood vessels.
    You can get C-C just from walking around if you have FMS and are big-breasted. I have had it constantly for 15 yrs. and I learned to always keep my chest warm or it will flare up. I also exercise a lot, and I learned the hard way to wear a sports bra!
    Even Michael Jackson was hospitalized once for C-C, which he got from working too hard on dance routines. It rarely gets that bad, but it is one of those things where rest is a good idea.
    I take Xanax and use a heating pad for it, but as mentioned, NSAIDS do help a lot if your tummy can stand them.
    Klutzo
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

The only infection I've had recently was sinus(again),I had to go thru two rounds of antibiotics to even feel a little better.I did the salt water rinses which I think helped too.
    So thats why I could'nt find much on this rib thingy-I had the spelling wrong!! And klutzo had said its common in FM with large breasts?(I never knew that)I don't feel huge but I'm certaianly not lacking! I'm sporting a C,but a 34-I'm somewhat skinny.So gee maybe I can't hole these suckers up!!LOL I plan on trying to get into my dr this week.In the meantime, I'll search again with the correct spelling~ I wondered if it could be kidney problem?
    Any thoughts? have agood evening~(I also have Endo.)Whoa is me!
    Love,
    Tracey
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2002]
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Your spelling (with a "d" not a "t")is correct. Marla must have inadvertently made a typo in her title line. Your mistake was inserting an extra "r". The correct spelling is COSTO-CHONDRITIS. Sometimes it is hyphenated, so try it that way if you don't get any hits. Good luck,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2002]
  7. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Does this mean I have a nutritional inbalance? All the ribs hurt. How do I find out what I'm lacking? The worst problem is my ribs that go down at the waistline--I think they are called floating ribs??? They hurt when I touch them on either side and when I sleep on my side. I guess I don't have good posture and they seem to dig in. Does anyone else have the pain down at the rib bottoms (waist)??? Please advice because I thought I am the only one with this pain.
    Tania
  8. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I suffer from Costo. all the time,right now it is hardly bothersome.When it really flares up a lot of hot showers,and some warming muscle cream(like,ben-gay ) helps a lot.
    I know most people are against it,but I also take celebrex for the inflmation,(its inflmation,but not infection).And at its worse My pain Managment Dr. put me on steriods for a short time,this was only when I was soo bad I was bedridden with pain.Also take muscle relax.,and vicoprofen.It does get better,so much better that I am even able to go to gym-don't give up!!
  9. Val

Val New Member

troublesome condition for over thirty years. (gosh, is it really that long!!) when it flared up in my twenties.
    It put me in bed for a few weeks and then it was very painful for weeks after that. Since then I get it on and off. It took a long time for me to get diagnosed, maybe Doctors are more aware of it now.My Doctor said it is
    also named TIETZES SYNDROME. Maybe after the person who first discovered it? With me, I find it painful to breathe
    especially out, for some reason. I have to sleep sitting up and would be unable to lie flat or on my side.But what no one else has mentioned is that I get a huge lump on the left side on my bottom rib. This lump shrinks but never goes completely away when it is feeling better. It feels spongy to the touch, if I dare risk it. I did have the injection once, very painful and it did not help.
    Unlike others, who have suggested warmth, I find that uncomfortable and I didn't have a large chest then either!!!
    Hope you soon get relief from this painful complaint.
    Shalom...Val.

[This Message was Edited on 12/01/2002]