Costs so much $$$$$

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chelsaroo, Sep 17, 2011.

1. chelsaroo

chelsaroo New Member

In the last week I have spent over $500 on medical bills, dr visits and Rx's. They just diagnosed me with FM after years of pain. I'm not sure when it started. It was nothing sudden. I've had three children in the last 5 1/2 yrs so I tend to track my timeline of pain using the birth of my children as points of reference.

Back to the point ... why is the all the medicine associated with the treatment of FM so expensive?
  2. quanked

quanked Member

I was under the impression that there were not many medications out there to tx FM. I have read here on this board that many find the old pain medications (which are pretty cheap) to work better than the newer drugs and there are usually less side effects. I have CFIDS AND FM. I tried Lyrica and did not find any relief with it and the list of side effects is amazing. I discontinued using it.

I hope you have better luck than I have had at finding pain relief. But for me it is more about the incredible tiredness, mental confusion and memory problems that really stall my life. I have recently developed vertigo and is making life much more difficult than normal.

Take care.
  3. Jittle

Jittle Member

I spend about 140 a month on cymbalta. 100 for pain meds and muscle relaxers. 150 for topamax, and the list continues from there. Just getting over a bad illness that I had to take levaquin for. It cost 200 for 5 pills: OMG.

Depending on your income you can try for assistance. If you ever start cymbalta they offer a one month free offer through the website. The worse part is the trial and error you will play trying to find the right meds, and having to spend a lot of money on pills that dont work or you dont like. I spent over one hunderd dollars on Lyrica, and only took like 4 pills and threw the rest away. I started asking the pharm for a weeks worth to try for new meds and if I like it then go back and fill the rest.

Dont forget to ask your doc for samples, especially if they are going to try you on a new med.
  4. chelsaroo

chelsaroo New Member

I should clarify. I also have Ulcerative Colitis and Psoriasis. The meds for my UC is high as well.

As far as memory issues, I have to write everything down. I have post it notes all over my wall, desk, and computer at work. I have a dry erase board at home and have to plan out each day with chores that must be done and what we are eating for meals. I write on my hands a lot.

My family has gotten used to the memory and confusion thing (and I was just diagnosed with FM). I start making something on the stove and forget about it. I also may have three glasses of tea at various places around the house because I forgot I made one (or two) already. I double and triple check to make sure I have all my kids in the car or that I've gotten them all out of the car. Doors are checked again and again because I just can't trust my memory.

Vertigo started for me last year but it's only hit once for me while I was driving. I pulled over quickly and it soon passed. It does happen at work and home quite often though.

I've managed to create systems for everything else that seem to work, but I need this pain to go away. I love my job, but I can't see myself working for much longer with the increase of pain I've been experiencing.
  5. chelsaroo

chelsaroo New Member

I'm definately going to ask for a weeks worth. I have insruance but all the meds I'm on are in the teir C formulary which means my insurance will cover only 50% or less. My UC medicine isn't even covered. It's crazy.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's a dollar store where everything actually does cost $1. They have some food but it's mostly seasonal decorations and cards and household products. You can save a bundle on that stuff instead of buying it at the supermarket.

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We all have to find ways to save wherever we can. We have to have our meds and whatever OTC products which keep us going. There is a Dollar Tree next to Target where I get my Rx's. I stop at the Dollar Tree first before Target and the supermarket.

This is a little off the subject but if we can save in one area of our lives, it frees up more money for the medical costs we have to endure. There isn't much wiggle room in our budgets for medical costs but we can find ways to save in other areas.

Jam, you are right; it doesn't pay to save if you use it all up in gas money. I'm fortunate to live in a smaller town close to just about everything.

Love, Mikie
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

It seems there are many meds that insurances won't even pay a partial amount for. My FMS friend took ambien, and can't take it now, because her BC/BS won't pay anything for it.

I'm not a pessimist, but don't plan on it getting any better.

If you haven't tried calcium/magnesium supplement, I would recommend it first.

it's cheap and does help most people.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not talking about quality but there are many old tried and true things we can try first. My docs know I will not use the "latest and greatest" meds. I tell them to give me something which has worked for me in the past or an older drug which has worked for others.

The only thing my ins. won't cover is my Klonopin and I take the Clonazepam generic and it's not that expensive.

Love, Mikie
  10. ~jean~

~jean~ New Member

From even going to see someone for all of this. (now that I feel I know for sure I have CFS) But I have been using supplements and they do help. The calcium/magnesium is what I had been using for insomnia until I started in on the spasms. I then went straight to magnesium and it has worked up until this new last bottle which also included zinc. Now I can't sleep again.

Needing to find something to use for the fatigue as got to work.
    My husband is a diabetic and was off work for months with pnemonia this last spring and then after that had kidney stones. Medical bills and no insurance so my health issues go on the back burner as his are more pressing.

Love hearing from you all and sitting in on your conversations.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry. It isn't right that people cannot get the healthcare they so desperately need. Many of us are deficient in vitamin D. A friend told me she takes 5,000 IU's of it daily and it helps her with energy. If I take more than 3,000, I can't sleep but it does help some with my exhaustion.

Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie