COULD A FALL BE THE ORIGINAL CAUSE OF FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dmhaver, Jan 31, 2003.

1. dmhaver

dmhaver New Member

JUST WONDERING, COULD A FALL DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS LANDING ON CONCRETE, LOSSING CONSCIOUSNESS AND INJURED FRONT AND REAR OF HEAD, BOTH FOREARMS, BACK AND KNEE ETC BE THE CAUSE OF FM. THAT FALL HAPPENED IN JUNE 1999 AND AT FIRST THERE WAS IMPROVEMENT AND THAN ABOUT A YEAR OR SO I STARTED TO GET WORSE AGAIN. IN THE SENSE OF HEADACHE, ETC. I HAVE BEEN DOING SOME READING ON THE CAUSE OF FM AND THEY ALL SAY AN INURY OR FALL AND I WAS WONDERING IF I MAY HAVE FOUND THE CAUSE.

ANY WORDS OF WISDOM?!
  2. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

There is actually nothing out there that they can pin point the reasoning why people have this DD but many people begin with an injury and it never seems to heal and that is what triggers it. Mine began with an injury also. or so i assume it came on with it because i now have this DD.
    Best of luck to you.
    Joannie
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Yes! I really think so. Its a fact that any sudden trauma,either physical or emotional has been known to trigger FM. I myself fell down a flight of steps and landed real hard on my tailbone.Then about a yr later I was in a car accident.Soon to follow I started with a back pain,arm pain,hip,etc... I was dx with FM...amoung other things. My drs are aware of the fall and the accident,and it could be both that brought this on.(according to them).
    However none of my pains started immediatley.It took some time~ odd huh?
    Its a good chance you have found the cause~
    Good luck,
    Tracey
  4. greeneyes_738

greeneyes_738 New Member

Hey,
    You might have something there. I fell down stairs and broke my leg about 6 yrs ago. I haven't felt right since then. Doc say I have fibro. Its been about two or three yrs now, I forget. LOL
  5. pamela

pamela New Member

6 months after the wreck I noticed changes in the way I felt. The fibro really hit bad in April 2002. Pamela
  6. MissM

MissM New Member

I was in two car accidents as a child, hit my head both times, lost consciousness in the first one. Numerous accidents as a kid, then, while I was pregnant with my now 17 year old twins, fell down a set of stairs on my back twice (kids are fine though). Soon after having my kids I started having a lot of back trouble and it progressed from there.

Also, all through high school I had knee trouble from running track and field on concrete......knees never completely came back from that. Not to mention how jarring that must have been to the rest of my body.
  7. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

I done quite a bit of reading about fibro since I've been "blessed" with this condition and have found that although no one can pinpoint what causes this stuff that trauma is listed as one of the things that may start it. My mom had toxemia when I was born and when I was pregnant I also had it and my child was stillborn. I also have fallen down stairs and about a year ago fell in the shower and hit my head and thigh on the tub! I was also in a car wreck about 11 years ago--ended up hanging upside down in the car with the seat belt leaving a nice bruise. BUT seat belts do save lives as I am hear today to tell the story. I also injured my back when I was working and had surgery for a herniated disk in my back. So---- if traumas to the body cause fibro to start then I guess I've had a few. I sure wish they could find some answers to this nasty disease!! Take care,lynnkat
    [This Message was Edited on 01/31/2003]
  8. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

get tested by a neuropsychologist or neurologist, there may be a connection. (what else would I say, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record)

Bob