COULD A MALIGNANT HYPERTHERMIA REACTION CAUSE FIBRO? PLEASE RESPO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamela, Sep 27, 2002.

1. pamela

pamela New Member

When I was 6 yrs. (1967) old I went in for a tonsilectomy due to constant strep throat. They gave me Ether and curarie to put me asleep for the operation. My temperature went up to 105-106 and my heart stopped. Luckily, a off-duty doc. was walking down the hall that had been researching Malignant Hyperthermia's and he was called in to help. He got my heart started again and he immediatley packed me in a big thing of ice. That saved my life. I was in ICU for 3 days and I was hooked up to this machine that kept me alive and monitored my responses. My urine was black the whole time they said. I wonder if this might have caused the Fibro since they say trauma at a young age can cause it? I was just wondering since all this has come on me lately. I have always been very hot natured until the last year when this really hit hard. Thank you for your response!!! Pamela

P.S. The malignant hyperthermia thing so far has not been identified on either side of my family either except MAYBE someone on my dad's side but he could not be sure of this.
  2. pamela

pamela New Member

When I was 6 yrs. (1967) old I went in for a tonsilectomy due to constant strep throat. They gave me Ether and curarie to put me asleep for the operation. My temperature went up to 105-106 and my heart stopped. Luckily, a off-duty doc. was walking down the hall that had been researching Malignant Hyperthermia's and he was called in to help. He got my heart started again and he immediatley packed me in a big thing of ice. That saved my life. I was in ICU for 3 days and I was hooked up to this machine that kept me alive and monitored my responses. My urine was black the whole time they said. I wonder if this might have caused the Fibro since they say trauma at a young age can cause it? I was just wondering since all this has come on me lately. I have always been very hot natured until the last year when this really hit hard. Thank you for your response!!! Pamela

P.S. The malignant hyperthermia thing so far has not been identified on either side of my family either except MAYBE someone on my dad's side but he could not be sure of this.
  3. Combatmedic

Combatmedic New Member

I have wondered this too!!! Especially since they think Malignant Hyperthermia is a genetic muscle disorder. You can even find it on some muscular dystrophy sites, although, like fibro, they still consider MH a mystery.
    If you type in Malignant Hyperthermia and Fibromyalgia, in a search engine, I have found one VERY interesting article, it is by the Canadian Malignant hyperthermia Association, and it talks about a possible link between the two. It is a study actually, and when I found it, it actually just boggled my mind! I'm sorry, I wish I had a better way to find that article for you, it's not too hard though, it's about the ONLY one I've found with both, Malignant Hyperthermia AND fibromyalgia.
    P.S. I had my MH reaction in 1983 at the age of 5, luckily, I was at Riley hospital, and they quickly recognized it. Mine was caused by succinylcholine they believe. I have had FMS for about 5 years, diagnosed for one year. I am 24 years old.
    Medic

OMG, I used the wrong icon! LOL Not the first time[This Message was Edited on 09/27/2002]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had never heard of this, but it is soooo strange. I'm glad y'all are both still around. I believe childhood trauma or illness can trigger our illnesses. Seems most anything stressful to us can trigger our illnesses. My money is on a genetic predisposition since there is such a variety of triggers.

Love, Mikie