Could AJ in the Shake give me a headache (and more)?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been eating (drinking) the shake since October. I have been feeling much better and I definitely think the shake is partly responsible.

Stormy's original five shake ingredients are:

Apple
    Molasses
    Whey
    Flax Seed
    Almonds

I modified this by added banana, frozen fruit, orange juice and Ultimate Greens (green food supplement). I recently realized that the Ultimate Greens says to NOT mix it with citrus juice. So I decided to change the OJ in my shake to apple juice (AJ). (I like to drink my shake, not eat it).

I started this new concoction last Wednesday, and that same day I developed a headache that just won't quit. My sleep has been terrible, and I've been in and out of flare mode. I've also got a rash around my nose. I've also had heartburn in the middle of the night and my taste buds are whacked out. Everything I eat tastes funny. This has been going on for a week now.

I looked at the sugar content of the AJ, and it is 30 grams per 8 oz. I use about a cup in the shake, so I'm getting 30 grams of sugar in one shake. Yikes! The sugar content of OJ is 24 grams per 8 oz. So OJ has does have less sugar than AJ, but unfortunately, OJ is up there sugar-wise, too.

Tomorrow I will go back to using OJ. But I'm wondering, do you think the higher sugar content in the AJ or just something in the AJ itself would make me feel this bad? I've had a pretty rough week, so stress could be contributing to how I'm feeling.

Also, I started Pau D'Arco about a week and a half ago. Could that be a contributing factor??

Katy

[This Message was Edited on 03/01/2006]
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Any thoughts?
  3. skierchik

skierchik New Member

would be that you are allergic to something in the AJ. Did you buy an organic brand? Are there additives or perservatives?? Perhaps you need to stay away from it until you do more healing.

I'm pretty sure it's not the sugar, like you said OJ has lots too.

You can try pear juice, it's low acid like apple.

Hope this helps!

skierchik
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

But could also be the banana. In fact, there's probably as much or more sugar in the banana as the AJ. With diabetics half a banana is considered a full serving due to the sugar content.

The key is to keep the sugar content down if you are doing this to control Candida. All the fruits are adding quite a bit of sugar. Have you considered just using plain organic applesauce? Or, the tart fruits like berries (as long as not too much). Pure cranberry juice or pomegranite juice is another option.

I would probably start by going back to the original shake and then making one modification at a time and waiting a few days before changing it again to see if you are tollerating it alright.

Hope this is helpful

Sofi
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

The AJ I bought is R.W. Knudsen. It is natural apple juice, unsweetened. There are no preservatives or additives. Ingredients say: juice from ripe, whole apples, ascorbic acid (to maintain color). It's the cloudy juice where apple goo settles on the bottom. Seems pretty healthy. But maybe just not right for me.

I am taking Threelac probiotic. I think when I finish this box, I will go back to Jarro-Dophilus probiotic.

Interesting about how much sugar is in a banana. I'm using 1/2 banana in my shake. I like the cranberry juice and pear juice suggestions.

The frozen fruits I'm using are blueberries, strawberries, peaches and an occasional piece of pineapple or a cherry or two.

Maybe tomorrow I'll just go back to OJ, but only use 1/2 cup and use 1/2 cup of water.

Any chance any of my reaction is due to the Pau D'Arco?

Thanks for your input!!

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2006]
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Katy, stop the Pau D' Arco and see if you feel better. Sounds like it might be that. Herbs can do strange things.
    I tried to take Boswellia (sp) and I had the worst heart palps from it. Hope you feel better soon.

Laura
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

don't you thin it out with good ole plain water? It works for me!