Could chronic fatigue syndrome be caused by hydrogen sulfide produced by gu

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Aug 25, 2010.

1. quanked

quanked Member

Could chronic fatigue syndrome be caused by hydrogen sulfide produced by gut bacteria?

Thursday, 04 June 2009

Researchers say that hydrogen sulfide produced by certain species of gut bacteria found in chronic fatigue syndrome could be a possible cause for the disease and have developed a cheap and simple diagnostic test based on their work.

On May 28, 2009, chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) researcher Dr. Kenny De Meirleir, MD, PhD, spoke at a press conference in Lodnon unveiling his team's groundbreaking findings regarding the illness. Dr. De Meirleir is a Belgian scientist known for his "outside the box" ME/CFS thinking and research; he is a professor at the Vrije Universiteit, Brussels and Director of HIMMUNITAS Foundation, Brussels.

Dr. De Meirleir's presentation described the team's conclusions concerning the complex mechanisms of ME/CFS pathogenesis, a diagnostic test they have developed "for a major cause of ME," and possible therapeutic strategies.

Below is a preliminary draft of the abstract of a journal article Dr. De Meirleir and his research team will publish on their work. The draft was disseminated through the CO-CURE listserv May 28 by ME research reporter Jan van Roijen ( j.van.roijen@CHELLO.NLThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it ).
  2. spacee

spacee Member

But would have to say I tried the probiotic thing. It was expensive and didn't help me
    at all.

I think we fall into subsets and something help some and not others. The IBS, bloating
    and gas makes it seem logical to try.

3. simonedb

simonedb Member

he may have a point about the sulfide so I use pepto bismal sometimes.
    but he has jumped on the xmrv bandwagon and will be revealing a study about it at the xmrv conf next month.
    probly the hs w/gut is a symptom not the cause?
  4. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

The intestinal immune system is the largest part of the immune system so it would make sense that we would have intestinal problems. But are the problems the cause of CFS or the result?

Please tell me that every article like this: "Such-and-Such May Be Cause of Such-And-Such" is just suggesting one possible cause or contributor and they don't really think it's THE cause.
  5. Tizz

Tizz New Member

I find this interesting because I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and to sulfur compounds found in certain foods. (For example, I never eat salad dressing when I'm at a restaurant...)

I wonder if anyone else is sensitive to some sulfur compounds -- and whether allergic reactions could be responsible - or partly responsible - for CFS in some people?